What's new
I have a strange problem, it seems every 2-3 times I power up my cab with the Jamma expander connected the unit powers on for a few seconds gets to the mister menu, and then the expander powers itself off. If I power cycle it usually comes back up fine. I've checked my voltages and updated the firmware, I assumed that may be the problem, but it still happens pretty often.

Once it is on and working, I have no problems. It's only an inconvenience to power cycle it a couple times.
Is it just the expander, or the DE10 also? The Expander has passive power delivery to the DE10, meaning no electronics involved.

Would HDMI to VGA using direct_video not output 0.7v VGA video signal? Seems weird that it wouldn't, don't people just hook such setups straight up to consumer VGA displays? I suppose you could just attenuate it yourself if you're motivated enough to just "make it work", seems like enabling the scandoubler and measuring the video output on the HDMI to VGA end of the cable is the place to start. It's entirely possible I am totally off-base on this, I'm just making assumptions based on the MiSTer documentation. This post and this post seems to suggest it should work.. but YMMV and all that. As you might already know, measure the voltage first.

OR you could just buy a JVS Expander, like zim suggested earlier.

I have a weird issue sometimes where the Expander/MiSTer will boot to an empty menu, with no games found. Power cycling a couple times usually fixes it. I can't reliably reproduce the problem.
Yes, good point - HDMI2VGA should work just fine, but you won't get amplified audio from expander as audio is via HDMI.

The Expander has no influence over how the DE10 behaves, so no idea why you would get an empty menu.

Since the only JAMMA device I expect to run in the Naomi is your JAMMA Expander, can you suggest some way to bring those levels back to VGA standard?

Or find a device that attenuates JAMMA video to scart/VGA levels, I no longer make the Tri-sync helper that did this as it's embedded in the rev 2 jammafier.
I think i've got a spare Tri Sync helper ver1 if it'll help you @NFGx Let me try and dig it out

Yes, good point - HDMI2VGA should work just fine, but you won't get amplified audio from expander as audio is via HDMI.

I definitely think a JVS Expander is the right way to go, but a HDMI to VGA DAC with a 3.5mm audio breakout might work for his situation. I would guess that a Naomi Universal probably has an amp since it expects line level audio from a Naomi, so this should work.

You can also experiment with adding series resistors on the RGB lines, perhaps around 200 ohms.
I threw some 220s in there, and it worked a treat.

As an aside, @invzim, the JAMMA Expander doesn't seem to save the 31kHz preference. When I'm using it with my 31kHz-only Naomi monitor, it's extra work to select this mode every time it powers up. Is there an INI setting on the JE's SD card I can use, maybe?

I have a MS8 monitor and keep getting a rolling sync on Rtype and running 8Bit computers. I’ve tried turning sync off and it’s still the same. Other games play fine though

Any ideas

I threw some 220s in there, and it worked a treat.

As an aside, @invzim, the JAMMA Expander doesn't seem to save the 31kHz preference. When I'm using it with my 31kHz-only Naomi monitor, it's extra work to select this mode every time it powers up. Is there an INI setting on the JE's SD card I can use, maybe?
Check the .ini file - make sure the card is not formatted with ex-fat, it should save ok...
I have a MS8 monitor and keep getting a rolling sync on Rtype and running 8Bit computers. I’ve tried turning sync off and it’s still the same. Other games play fine though

Any ideas
Check the video-info OLED screen on the expander, if it's not blocking it's the mister core. Got an MS8 (aero city) myself, and I think I've checked r-type.

Nah definitely something wrong here, sync is off and nothing on the OLED is showing as an issue, rtype 1 and defo have sync issues

IIRC a lot of the IREM games use non-standard sync rates. Have you tried other RTypes, or Mr. Heli, etc? They use the same core on MiSTer too, so we can minimize the different causes of the problem here. Maybe delete any configs for the game as well, see if something's been tweaked previously.

I know on my MS9 it's totally fine. The MS8 isn't reputed to be a lot less capable.

Hi, it works fine on my Kyotaro, which uses a MS8.

IMG_3549.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3550.jpg
    IMG_3550.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3551.jpg
    IMG_3551.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 69
Sorted it do now, sorry it was my dodgy sync pot lol.

I do have another issue tho. I’m try the ST core and the sync blocker has stopped it working. I’ve turned off the sync protection and it still blocking it.

Any ideas

the OLED on the ST core says sync blocked, the OLED on the Saturn core goes off completely

the OLED on the ST core says sync blocked, the OLED on the Saturn core goes off completely
I mean the "Video Input" info screen on the OLED on the Expander - this will probably give you some hints. I haven't checked myself, but likely a direct_video core issue?

This is the video input screen

Attachments

• IMG_1843.jpeg
    IMG_1843.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 53
Had a look at the scope and did a quick google, seems the Atari ST clone is not working with direct_video, probably the same issue with Saturn which is in active development.

Ah ok, thanks for taking the time to look into this for me.

Back