What's new
So if we wanted to plug in any USB devices (keyboard, wifi), we would have to use a separately powered USB hub, is that correct?

I'll probably just run an Ethernet cable into the rear of the cab. Considering how often mister is updated this is a relevant question. Another idea might be to run a usb splitter and run your powered usb hub through the rear of the cab.

First draft of the gamepad mode page, https://irkenlabs.com/jamma-expander/operation-gamepad

Feedback & corrections from MiSTer gurus would be most welcome.

Almost forgot, to get 2 player to work (today) you need this in your MiSTer.ini
; Disable merging input devices. Use if only player 1 works.
; Leave no_merge_pid empty to apply this to all devices with the same VID.
no_merge_vid=0x8282
no_merge_pid=0x3201

This is a temporary thing, and will no longer be needed when the next release of MiSTer is released - it's already in the code:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/commits/master
I just updated my MiSTer, and can confirm that the ini settings above are no longer needed, 2 player gamepad should now work out of the box (after running the MiSTer update script).

I'll probably just run an Ethernet cable into the rear of the cab. Considering how often mister is updated this is a relevant question. Another idea might be to run a usb splitter and run your powered usb hub through the rear of the cab.
All my cabs have ethernet cable, cause you just don't know when you will need that connection :D

All sorted here!

A couple things I found:
- if 5v is really out of range, the mister may power up for just a split second, then turn off (somebody may have mentioned this part before). The oled may not display anything if this happens.

- If you’re using an image from an existing mister installation, there’s a pretty strong chance that some of your configs are going to cause this to not work. Check the configs on the Irken website carefully if voltage is correct but you are still having issues. 😅

Attachments

• 15E54DB5-F686-4E22-A6D8-A2ED9CEDC093.jpeg
    15E54DB5-F686-4E22-A6D8-A2ED9CEDC093.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Anyone tested lag yet? And why are you not using the analog picture out of the mister @invzim

The cables needed to connect to the mister come with the device?

Anyone tested lag yet? And why are you not using the analog picture out of the mister @invzim

There is no analog video out of the DE10-nano, you can buy an expansion board that use resistors instead of a proper DAC, and that approach is limited to 18 bits of color.
I use HDMI because you also get proper audio, 24 bit color, AND I don't touch the IO ports of the DE10 at all - i.e. future proofing it. It could be that in the future, some cores will require 2 SDRAM cards, which will not be possibly with any of the other (announced) JAMMA solutions.

All required hardware, except DE10-nano and SDRAM card is included:
expander parts.jpg

You all needed minus the de10 nano and ram
ATX adapter not included or needed

je-0-jpg.jpg

je-1-jpg.jpg

HDMI - this one has an on-board HDMI->VGA and HDMI->AUDIO DAC, instead of depending on GPIO pins. This is to get the best quality, and also keep things simple

Does someone have spare JST VLP-02V-1 connectors? These seem to be sold out everywhere and JST has a lead time of like a year, lol. I think I have the pins for when I was making some JVS power harnesses.

Does someone have spare JST VLP-02V-1 connectors? These seem to be sold out everywhere and JST has a lead time of like a year, lol. I think I have the pins for when I was making some JVS power harnesses.
It's a typo on the PCB markings, I added this on the FAQ page https://irkenlabs.com/jamma-expander/faq
The DC connector on the Expander is VH

I also ordered some other cables to see how fitment is since I want to put the setup in a case

got these to try out

1632079995210.png
I'll be interested to see if this particular cable works. I had a right angled USB adapter on hand (pretty much the same as what you showed before) that I tried, and it wasn't quite what I wanted. I think the down facing right angle should work, but the size of the head + strain relief makes me wonder if it's too tall to fit before bumping into the PCB.

I'll be interested to see if this particular cable works. I had a right angled USB adapter on hand (pretty much the same as what you showed before) that I tried, and it wasn't quite what I wanted. I think the down facing right angle should work, but the size of the head + strain relief makes me wonder if it's too tall to fit before bumping into the PCB.
Agree, will test it out, I havent been able to find one with a thinner/smaller profile. If I like it better than the right angle and it doesn't quite fit I will just put slightly taller standoffs maybe :)

I considered doing 'adapter' PCB's found on other MiSTer boards instead of cables, but with favored serviceability and logistics over aesthetics. I also have zero clue as to how much noise is radiated by the DE10, so I wanted to keep the area under it clear.

In other news, the FedEx guy will not be pleased tomorrow - all orders packed and ready for shipment. Thanks to all who placed an order this week-end!

IMG_1396.jpeg

I considered doing 'adapter' PCB's found on other MiSTer boards instead of cables, but with favored serviceability and logistics over aesthetics. I also have zero clue as to how much noise is radiated by the DE10, so I wanted to keep the area under it clear.

Makes sense and simple is often times best. I hate the little microusb interconnect boards, I have broken a few of those separating the nano from the USB hub. Wish all devices came with USB-C connections though, they seem to be more robust over MicroUSB.

In other news, the FedEx guy will not be pleased tomorrow - all orders packed and ready for shipment. Thanks to all who placed an order this week-end!
hahahaha....he probably wont.

Im glad to see you are getting some nice orders in. Well deserved! The JE may not have the "bells & whistles" of other similar devices, but I know and trust your designs to work as you intended. Its simple to use/set up and I know the circuit design will be solid, and well thought out.

Back