What's new
@invzim sir ... any chance or any hints on how to use X68000 core through Jamma Expander on New Astro City with 15/24khz ? Thank you for all :happy:

X68000 mostly switches between 15-31KHz. I think it defaults to 31KHz. I'm not sure how the mister handles it when you start some games directly though. Some games you switch resolution in menus which can be a headache if your monitor can't handle 31KHz. Some games won't even work properly on the mister because you still can't bind some of the buttons needed. You need XF3 to coin up Kyukyoku Tiger for example.

X68000 mostly switches between 15-31KHz. I think it defaults to 31KHz. I'm not sure how the mister handles it when you start some games directly though. Some games you switch resolution in menus which can be a headache if your monitor can't handle 31KHz. Some games won't even work properly on the mister because you still can't bind some of the buttons needed. You need XF3 to coin up Kyukyoku Tiger for example.
Here is the list of some of the games from this system and how they are output natively : https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:game_notes

If video is the issue - just be sure to set SyncGuard to correspond with your cab (and now I see that it's not documented on the website, as I was going to paste a link :))
If x68k core outputs 31k but your monitor is 15/25k, it's not much the expander can do..

If video is the issue - just be sure to set SyncGuard to correspond with your cab (and now I see that it's not documented on the website, as I was going to paste a link :))
If x68k core outputs 31k but your monitor is 15/25k, it's not much the expander can do..
Ideea is id like to try the games that running natively in 15k but i don't know how to set and what to do to try it , im sure we can make it working :happy:
If is something to change in ini file that can help loading the core correctly , will be amazing to try it :thumbsup:

Not all games run only at one resolution too, some differ for the game vs the menus in the game. So not sure how mister handles this

It's been a while since I messed with it, but you can force different/lower resolutions in the x68k core by adding some entries to mister.ini

djsheep posted this setting on the "MiSTer FPGA" forum thread which probably works. Just be aware that scaling will probably be off (stuff like text will look strange), so you'll need to mess with the numbers a bit.

[X68000]
vsync_adjust=3
video_mode=320,16,32,16,240,4,3,16,6048
vga_scaler=1

It's been a while since I messed with it, but you can force different/lower resolutions in the x68k core by adding some entries to mister.ini

djsheep posted this setting on the "MiSTer FPGA" forum thread which probably works. Just be aware that scaling will probably be off (stuff like text will look strange), so you'll need to mess with the numbers a bit.

[X68000]
vsync_adjust=3
vga_scaler=1
Ideea is if someone who have Jamma Expander and tried in the cabinet (astro city, aero city, etc) with low & middle resolutins to load this core and know how to make it work there . Hopefully we can manage somehow to do this (is still WIP this core, but it's working on PVM's and consumer CRT tvs)

Ehm, all these issues are mister issues and not expander issues really. In the end the expander is a rather "dumb" device that only handles i/o, it doesn't affect anything running on the mister.

I'm having an issue with phantom inputs on a blast city.

Plugged in for the first time in a little while, and my controls weren't working. Looking at the inputs on the oled, it was showing random presses all over the place without me doing anything. Tried the expander on 2 other cabs, no issues with controls. Tried 2 other boards on the blast, no issues with controls. Eventually I tried again and the controls are working, but I get an intermittent phantom input from coin 1 every couple seconds. I can't map any controls because of this issue.

I am on the latest firmware for the jamma expander. Voltage around 5.02. using in keyboard mode.

I have got the same issue, all worked fine but unplugged for a couple of weeks and now buttons don’t work and I can see on the expander display that I am getting phantom coin1 inputs every second or so, like it’s pulsing - my cab us a Windy 1.

plan to do a new flash card for it and see if that fixes it.

I have got the same issue, all worked fine but unplugged for a couple of weeks and now buttons don’t work and I can see on the expander display that I am getting phantom coin1 inputs every second or so, like it’s pulsing - my cab us a Windy 1.

plan to do a new flash card for it and see if that fixes it.
Maybe double check wiring and that the expander is not set to chamma?
Having a squint at the wiring diagram https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/e/eb/Konami_windy.pdf it looks like it uses the 'bottom' GND pins for stuff like coin and input, while the top GND pins are used for power.

[X68000]
vsync_adjust=3
vga_scaler=1
These settings doesnt make any changes with our setups (New Astro + Jamma Expander) ... when i load the x68k core is doing the same as the mister.ini file it was previously used without any modifications.

i also tried these settings without success :

vga_scaler=1
forced_scandoubler=0
vsync_adjust=2
video_mode=1536,180,152,274,256,1,1,16,34900

Maybe double check wiring and that the expander is not set to chamma?
Having a squint at the wiring diagram https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/e/eb/Konami_windy.pdf it looks like it uses the 'bottom' GND pins for stuff like coin and input, while the top GND pins are used for power.
The odd thing is it’s worked fine for a couple of months and been in and out of the Windy to do updates etc.. the wiring is fine, I have a 1 slot MVS in the cab that would be coining up if that was the issue.

I have a supergun I can try it on later, will update. Will check for Chamma too. Thanks.

I just tried to plug this into my new blast city and blew the processor immediately... Lesson learnt, check the jamma edge voltages before shoving something in it... Zim expect another shipment request to the UK!

Bloody idiot! :(

I just tried to plug this into my new blast city and blew the processor immediately... Lesson learnt, check the jamma edge voltages before shoving something in it... Zim expect another shipment request to the UK!

A bit of overvoltage should not kill anything, JAMMA backwards otoh will fry stuff..

The odd thing is it’s worked fine for a couple of months and been in and out of the Windy to do updates etc.. the wiring is fine, I have a 1 slot MVS in the cab that would be coining up if that was the issue.

I have a supergun I can try it on later, will update. Will check for Chamma too. Thanks.
Let me know, I may implement a debug function to identify cabinet (and rule out Expander) issues when it comes to input.

So tried on my Supergun, worked fine and did an update - all and plugged in the Windy, and guess what ..? Yes all worked perfect been on and playing for the last few hours with no issues.

I think the debug option would be great, wouled be very useful.

I powered Jamma Expander + DE10 Nano with 5.24 voltage on +5V line and the game was loaded and on the screen was working but i received message on expander screen about too much voltage,but nothing happened on 5.24V . what voltage had your psu when you powered the Expander ?

I powered Jamma Expander + DE10 Nano with 5.24 voltage on +5V line and the game was loaded and on the screen was working but i received message on expander screen . what voltage had your psu when you powered the Expander ?
It was closer to 5.8, I'm not sure if it was the voltage or the jamma edge not connected properly in hindsight...

Back