What's new
Make a rar archive and copy paste a screenshot of the winrar window (the last column is the CRC32) I'll and compare with mine :
Code:
ki1ki2_l1.u10      A27F1D8C
ki1ki2_l1.u11      D4650929
ki1ki2_l1.u12      A6C72C0F
ki1ki2_l1.u13      B74263F6
ki1ki2_l1.u33      DF1B05E5
ki1ki2_l1.u34      10B6FE0A
ki1ki2_l1.u35      44AA2601
ki1ki2_l1.u36      4FE4AA52
ki1ki2_u98.bin     91B444F3

Last edited:
I just performed all the catenate steps including applying the patch (Use this site for easy mode on that) and man, they were stupid easy. I've ordered some 1 GB micro SD cards for the disk images and look forward to getting this all wrapped up :D

Not as pro looking as @luke7110 - but its functional! I also used his 3d printed switch holder and it works perfectly!

15mm for the bottom spacers, 55mm for the top (wanted enough room for the Noctua).

Attachments

• IMG-4480.jpg
    IMG-4480.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG-4481.jpg
    IMG-4481.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 176
Looking really good, guys... glad to see this hack getting some use!

DogP

I’m currently gathering the parts together to do mine and I’ll be posting my pics too 😁
You guys have made a great thing possible, massive kudos to you!

I’ll be mega impressed if I ever see the dedicated KI2 board running KI1, I’m pretty sure it’s always been regarded as “impossible”, much like this once was! haha 😎

I wonder if someone could design a board to go between the eproms and the board to remove the need for a good chunk of the soldering and wires?

Probably someone could - but to be honest, as far as mods goes - this is pretty simple - just bend that leg up on all of them and solder a wire all the way around to them. No soldering to the actual board.

I wonder if someone could design a board to go between the eproms and the board to remove the need for a good chunk of the soldering and wires?
It would be great but ... you have to take into account that all the audio lines (Eeprom) are connected in series and the only pin that changes would be the CE (Chip Enable) so the program only activates the CE that it needs to take the information that you specifically need that eeprom then as my serious question. Can you use an eeprom like 27C800 / 160/322 and make bank changes using the CE of each eeprom?

Screenshot_20220107-022911_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
A PAL / GAL could be used to create a table of addresses to the addresses of the eeprom once an enable chip of any original eeprom on the board has been specifically activated. The 27C322 has 16 banks of 2mb each, it could perfectly load both game audios and use only one 27c322, so that is where my brain explodes because it is beyond my knowledge 😔

Ok, it's an exciting and challenging target, but honestly, why bother ? The actual technique works and doesn't even change the original look of the board.
It is exciting, it is always about doing something else just for idleness, I still hope one day that someone dumps the altera of the killer instinct to rescue a couple of games that I have defective only because of altera problems. although if this is how this project is, it is more than enough 🤣🤣

A PAL / GAL could be used to create a table of addresses to the addresses of the eeprom once an enable chip of any original eeprom on the board has been specifically activated. The 27C322 has 16 banks of 2mb each, it could perfectly load both game audios and use only one 27c322, so that is where my brain explodes because it is beyond my knowledge
you're overly complicating it. the sound ROMs are 8-bit and 27c322 while it has enough room to fit all the data from both games, only works in 16-bit mode, so you would need additional logic to allow it to work in 8-bit mode. If you wanted to simplify it 2x 27c160 would work with very little additional logic required.

The problem is you'd also want this board to swap the bios and swap the IDE devices too and now you still have wires running around to make that work. it's just a different kind of ugly.

Hi guys!
I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for your great work. I finally got around to upgrading my spare KI1 board to KI2 today.
Once again many thanks to all involved <3

I’m just in the process of piecing this puzzle together myself and just want to ask.. Is there any reason why I couldn’t/shouldn’t take my +5v and Ground connections directly from my power supply to my DPDT switch, instead of taping off from the IDE connector pins?

I’m just in the process of piecing this puzzle together myself and just want to ask.. Is there any reason why I couldn’t/shouldn’t take my +5v and Ground connections directly from my power supply to my DPDT switch, instead of taping off from the IDE connector pins?
Take +5 and GND anywhere. If all your wires and switch are around the IDE connector, it's just a way to keep the wires short and do a cleaner install.

Take +5 and GND anywhere. If all your wires and switch are around the IDE connector, it's just a way to keep the wires short and do a cleaner install.
Sweet, just wanted to double check there wasn’t any other reason for it coming off the IDE that I hadn’t cottoned on to 👌
Thanks! 👍

Wow just read thru this and I am excited - I just got back a spare KI board that was fixed that I will do this on
Very cool indeed - thanks to all involved :thumbup:

Back