What's new
CF option sounds good. At the end of the day, a 29 y/o game using a IDE-ish standard at 66MB/s up to 133MB/s access speed. A decent CF controller can access at 66MB/s. I use CF on most of my HD based games, even in Naomi games.

It fits nicely in place without touching anything underneath.
Image 2.jpeg

This is not the final design but I would like to hear what are your thoughts about this.
control-board-angled.png
sound-board-angled.png

Hi neku, are you still planning a compact version that could work with daisy chained ROMS?
We are miles away from a stealth mod like your previous prototype here ! I'm still in the OEM look philosophy and I don't like these huge pcbs hiding the original hardware (sorry 😅).

A sandwich pcb in the HD area, with high and low signal to drive the daisy chain, would be a great improvement for a modded board or simply another option! 😉

Hi neku, are you still planning a compact version that could work with daisy chained ROMS?

Short anwser: Yes, the smaller one is still a thing.

Long anwser:

There is a tradeoff between stealth and plug&play that need to be done.

The new PCBs presented yesterday are born because of trade offs and constraints :

I want the kit to be plug&play (from the start of this project) but couldn't figure out an elegant way to connect things together.

I tried many ways to create a socket for each eeproms, but never was satisfied by either assembly complexity, manufacturing cost or plug&play'ability.
Also i am thinking that if i provide a plug&play kit i have to source the 8Mbits eeproms which comes with its own problems
like finding a reliable source, testing each eeproms because it's refurbished, i am not sure it will last, cost and so on.

And i don't feel like shrugging it off and saying "not my business", so i decided replacing the eeproms with largely available flash memories.

Thus i tried to create eeprom sized pcb flash memories, which i succeeded to create but then came the issue of connecting everything together and manufacturing cost.
If anyone is interested i will release the design of those but it will not be plug&play, a wire will have to be soldered between each "eeprom" to connect it together the same way lifted pins require.

By the way the new PCBs are not so big, the sound board is the exact size of the surface area of all the sound roms sockets, hiding nothing but the sockets.

The control board hides a bit of the underlying PCB but I find it reasonable (that's my own feeling about it and can understand someone else doesn't like it).

Regarding the "simple" IDE adapter, i will take picture of how i managed to mount the prototype for the demo released last week.
Basically to avoid lifting the pin on the eeproms a stacked two socket and cut the pin 1 out of the bottom socket then soldered the wire on the eeprom pin.
Routing the wires underneath the motherboard you can barely see it.

I would appreciate some through -holes to add support. IF the KI board has holes that we can line up. for proper stand-offs that'd be good, but even not just being able to add a support peg on a empty spot on the main board to help keep the sub boards from flexing that'd be good too.

That's already planed, support hole will be added, like you said, to avoid the pcb the bent where it's floating.

I would appreciate the option to run a DOM instead of a CF card. they're more expensive but they're faster and more reliable and I'm running DOM instead of CF on every HDD game I own when possible.

I will add a 44 pins connector in addition to the CF connector. So it's up to you to choose which one you want to use.

I really appreciate your method of switching games. it's much nicer than most in-game switches I've seen. If possible I'd love to maybe have a 3-way switch on the board that set:
[ KI1 only | KI2 only | In-Game Switch ]

We can repurpose bit 8 on the already existing dipswitch to enable/disable the in-game switching.
To select the game you will have to set it to the desired one before disabling it.
How does this sounds for you ?

I know it's just a render but for PCBs I usually like the multi to match the color of the main board, or be black (since black goes with everything). I tend to find other colored PCBs paired with a green mobo to look tacky.

So far i am planning to produce the PCBs in black (even the small flat cable connecting to two boards) unless there is a strong demand for an other color.

There is a tradeoff between stealth and plug&play that need to be done.
I want the kit to be plug&play (from the start of this project)

Totally understand 👍

Basically to avoid lifting the pin on the eeproms a stacked two socket and cut the pin 1 out of the bottom socket then soldered the wire on the eeprom pin.

Nice one mate 😁

Fantastic work @neku - keep following your vision. Will take the solution at whatever way you decide and at the cost you see fit. Gunna be awesome!

Hello,

Quick update.

Here's a new render of the control board (IDE + Bootrom) PCB.
You can notice few changes:

- 44 pins connector added to allow to plug a DoM or original HDD.
- LEDs to show which game is active
- A dipswitch to select the board type

The control boards will come with a 16Mbits flash memory to store the bootroms that way i can store the roms for ki1 & ki2 for both type of motherboards making it universal.

3D_PCB2_2023-09-29.png

Also to give a better sense of size, here's a picture of the control board printed on paper placed on top of a motherboard.

IMG_3866.jpg

Looks great. Appreciate all the work and effort gone into this.

Any idea of a time frame for release? Its been so long since I played killer instinct 1, this would make my Christmas :)

Hello,

Quick update.

Here's a new render of the control board (IDE + Bootrom) PCB.
You can notice few changes:

- 44 pins connector added to allow to plug a DoM or original HDD.
- LEDs to show which game is active
- A dipswitch to select the board type

The control boards will come with a 16Mbits flash memory to store the bootroms that way i can store the roms for ki1 & ki2 for both type of motherboards making it universal.

3D_PCB2_2023-09-29.png

Also to give a better sense of size, here's a picture of the control board printed on paper placed on top of a motherboard.

IMG_3866.jpg
being so close to the CPU, I wonder if there's a way you could extend the pcb or add a riser to add a fan on top of the heatsink which would connect on your pcb.
Those fans are mandatory, I have over a dozen broken boards here. In most cases people put them in non original cabs and with no fan inside they cook and melt the cpu pads. I spoke to an engineer that worked on those back in the days and apparently they had one on the prototypes but it was removed to save a few bucks on the retail units. I used a bit of epoxy to mount mine on the heatsink and soldered it to a 5V point and ground. Knowing how fragile the solder points are on the cpu, I dont like using screws on the heatsink since it can easily cause problems.

If its too much trouble to add some kind of mounting solution for a fan, having at least a fan connector on your pcb for 5V / 12V would be fantastic. Then it could just be plugged in to your board, no need to solder anything. That would truly be an all in one solution.

Thanks!

If its too much trouble to add some kind of mounting solution for a fan, having at least a fan connector on your pcb for 5V / 12V would be fantastic. Then it could just be plugged in to your board, no need to solder anything. That would truly be an all in one solution.
I think a fan connector would be an excellent add, but I'd be careful about a mounting solution. Many of these board have had replacement heat syncs or fans to help resolve the overheating issues. I'd worry that any solution built into the multi might interfere with existing cooling setups on some of these boards.

Some through-holes on the PCB to give you a place to design/or buy a mount a fan: maybe to support a simple right-angle bracket or similar might be cool, but I wouldn't go beyond that.

I'd even go so far as to say there should be some additional clearance around the existing heat sync to account for variations in heat sync mounting and over-sized non-original cooling solutions.

Last edited:
I personally never seen any other cooling solution. Most people are either using one of those fancy custom acrylic cases with standoffs and mount the fans on the upper part, or they mount a fan directly on the original heatsink. However through-holes to mount an angle bracket /3d printed fan mount would probably work too indeed.

Just about anyone who has done a CPU replacement is likely using a non-original cooling solution.
I've had 5 of these boards pass through my hands and at least 2 of them had aftermarket heat-syncs and or fans added by previous owners as the result of a CPU replacement.

Would be an interesting thread to start regarding KI cooling. IMO unless they are missing the original heatsink it's really not necessary. Having really big ones may cause more harm than anything due to the extra weight causing stress, especially when moving the cabs around or having them installed vertically inside the cab. I still have 6 or 7 working KI boardsets (sold 4 this year) and a box full of non-working ones. I purchased a tray of replacement cpus many years ago, however some boards are so toasted, even with a PACE pad repair kit I couldn't undo the damage. I probably still got those CPU in a box somewhere at the shop.

I install those fans on the original heatsink using a drop of JB weld on each corner, they fit perfectly and run at 10000 RPM. I don't use screws to avoid putting pressure on the cpu and the jb weld resist high temperature https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/...s=N4IgTCBcDaILICUDMAGAjCgEigrAIQFoEBlBEAXQF8g

Along with a 110V 120mm fan inside the cab using L brackets pointing at the PCB
https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Sunon/CF4113MBL-000U-AB9?qs=EU6FO9ffTwcYTOqUrqKuCw==

I got a few running at a few different locations 8-12 hours a day and since I started putting those fans over 5 years ago I never had one that failed due to the CPU. Only 1-2 due to ram and minor issues but easy fixes. That's probably a lot more running time than most home use.

I have added a header for 3 or 4 pins 5V fans. Would you be interested by a potentiometer to set the speed of 4 pins fan ?
I dont think its needed, best to run it at the max at all time. Thanks for adding the connector, that will make everything cleaner.
Let me know if you need testers for the kits. I will be interested to purchase 3-4 units.

You should set-up a Patreon for that stuff, you are doing the forgotten fixes/mods that no one ever really tackled.

Just with the wargods modded image you saved me at least a day of work, fiddling to build an old system and set the min/max manually.
I definitely owe you a beer, but you already have the best ones in the world there :) (they are quite a pain to import sometimes)

let me know if there's anything that can be done to help.

merci

621599_10151195286792684_462193177_o.jpg

I would be interested in a few kits
If u need a tester let me know

Back