What's new

K0NAM1

Student
Reaction score
Hi,

System was working fine, it's been in a cupboard for 6 months, took it out today, powered on to just "LCD init" on the display and no video.

I bought this with the mod already performed.

The CPS fan is going. The battery was removed at some point in the past.

I've tried IPA to clean it out and compressed air, checked power pins on the PSU with a DMM without the CPS attached:

12.03v
5.11v
-5.06v

On the edge connector:

5.03v
11.98v

Any ideas, maybe I should dial the 12v up a touch?

Thanks.
Richard

Attachments

• PXL_20230210_023620376.jpg
    PXL_20230210_023620376.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Bad sdcard?
This is definitely a symptom of the SD card being corrupt or not seated properly. Firstly try cleaning the contacts on your sd card and popping it in and out and recycling power.

If not try a new SD card and use the SD Formatter tool to format it and go from there. The smaller in GB the better.

Thanks, tried all that.

I got a brand new 16GB formatted to FAT32 with and SD Formatter tool from the SD card association, is that the one, I copied over the test folders from here https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/romset-to-verify-your-cps2-kit.11886/#post-191917 to see if that worked, it doesn't, same "LCD init" issue.

The existing SD works fine in Windows, I was able to copy the ROMs.

So am I missing something with this "SD Formatter" tool, is it a special app that does something funky that the multi needs?

Unless there is a special formatting tool then I think I'm ruling out the card.

If I boot with no card I get "No SD card detected!"

Hardware issue then... 😥

The card just needs to be FAT-32. Card should have a folder in root called games with individual folders under it containing your games.

You could dial up your 5v to 5.1v and see if that makes a difference and try reseating all the boards on the multi taking care.

We will get this sorted for you.

Last edited:
@Darksoft is there a recommended way to clean the SD slot or do you have any ideas?

Not, that I'm aware of. Unless something g has clearly gotten inside, a bit of blowing or a small vacuum in very soft mode could help. But I don't think isopropyl could help here a lot.

Thanks, I've used compressed air on it and also I surrounded the SD card socket in kapton tape and used my hot air rework box to heat up the socket just in case there was a cold solder joint on there, nothing has worked.

It was stored indoors, in the protective case, in a cupboard.

The CPS boards look like they've been recapped at some point.

I have access to a DMM and oscilloscope but I'm unfamiliar with the workings of the CPS2 and the multi.

It's a real shame, I've only had this setup powered on occasionally, an hour here and there (probably for around 20 hours tops) as up until now I've had nowhere to put it permanently (it was destined for my new workshop).

Last edited:
Thanks, not sure about the "existing" SD, there are some erroneous hidden Mac files on there though, this SD reads fine in Windows and it was working fine before I put the multi into the cupboard.

The new SD, I formatted and moved the test files to that using Windows.

Then let's assume it's the microSD slot. Do you feel comfortable replacing it yourself if I send you one microsd slot?

@Darksoft thanks, you're spot on, it's the socket, I'm guessing it's a cold solder joint, I've managed to get the multi working today, my guess is the hot air improved things and wiggling got it working.

I think this is it https://www.sparkfun.com/products/127 dang it's surface-mount, I wouldn't even know where to start on replacing this, I might give it a bit more hot air and keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Back