What's new
I assume the traces aren't set up to allow for line level input and this would need to modified, or does removing the jumper allow for this in this version? Sorry if it sounds like I'm harping on this, it'd just be really neat and useful for my use case. I suppose I could start trying to learn how to do it myself instead of asking questions haha.

Looks awesome!
Replacing the switches with pins like that should drive down the cost a bit, which is cool.

The Mini DIN pinout:

xrgb-mini-rgb_pinout.png

There isn't a line level audio input at this stage. It's not something I can implement without effecting other features.

Is it possible for you to do it externally? E.g. use one of Tim Worthington's scart adapters or take audio straight from CPS2 to your sound system etc?

There isn't a line level audio input at this stage. It's not something I can implement without effecting other features.

Is it possible for you to do it externally? E.g. use one of Tim Worthington's scart adapters or take audio straight from CPS2 to your sound system etc?
Depending on the setup it may be possible. I'm currently using an OSSC and there's no AV1 audio in on that. I might be able to work something out. At the end of the day it's a nice to have option but not strictly necessary obviously.

Tim has them in stock I just bought 6 (◠ᴥ◕ʋ)
Etim.net.au shop in Sydney

EDIT: on the XRGB-mini diagram above (8 pin mini din pin out) I normally wire 5v to pin 5.
If you do this with Tims 8pin mini din to scart adapters, the voltages on pin 8 and 16 of the SCART port will be accurate (will set tv to RGB fast blanking + 4:3 mode)

Last edited:
Ok that's fair, but to rephrase does the mini din connector on the minigun actually provide 5v?

Yes. At least in the last PCB I ordered (rev 1.7 if I recall correctly).

Since the project is open source you can load the files in EasyEDA and check it.

Last edited:
Pin 5, the blanking signal, is where 5 volts goes on the DIN. Yep, the DIN on the Minigun outputs 5V.

I also just confirmed that the blanking signal is run correctly through my cable so there shouldn't be any issues related to that. Thanks for the info.

Pin 5 of the Mini DIN 8 connector goes to pin 8 in the SCART (Audio/RGB Switch). Blanking is pin 16 in SCART and it should be between 1 and 3V for RGB. I use a 180 ohm resistor in my SCART cable between pin 8 and 16.

More information here: http://martin.hinner.info/vga/scart.html

Touching on the power supply terminals, regarding EARTH and COM. If you look at the block diagram of the Mean-Well power supplies, there's a capacitor joining EARTH and COM, guessing it's there as a form of filtering (and explains why a multimeter shows no continuity). So in my mind, bridging the two terminals together may not be necessary. From my research, if you do find a need to manually bridge EARTH with COM the best way to do so is by attaching one ground wire from the supergun power input to EARTH, and another separate ground wire from the supergun power input to COM, rather than bridging the two power supply terminals directly via a small patch wire.

Version 2.0 won't be released as it's turned into a version 2.1. No major changes, namely:
  • Routing improvements.
  • Eliminated 5 x vias (for a total of 40 now).
  • Small ground plane added to top layer surrounding mini DIN 8 connector to provide some electrical shielding between video / audio / power lines.
  • Moved voltmeter downwards slightly (towards jamma edge). It fits fine as is but was a little close to the DB15.
  • Moved TEST and SERVICE tactile switches slightly further away from the edge of the PCB to give a little bit more room for mounting options.
  • Labelled the kick and power connectors with pin numbering on the bottom silkscreen.
  • Updated the VIDEO schematic to fix some minor errors and matched the component identifiers to the PCB labeling. Added a CONNECTOR schematic to show mini DIN 8 / DB15 / KICK / POWER pinout.
Should be ready for upload within a few days.

Schematic_Connectors.png

PCB_PCB-ADV-2.0_20190825185710.png

I will be dropping support for the STANDARD edition, at least for the time being, getting too time consuming maintaining two separate builds and the ADVANCED seems to be the popular choice (and the better of the two anyhow).

A 3/4 player adapter board is in the works. I also have some ideas to make fabricating DIY video cables easier but that will be further down the track.

Got tired of waiting for my mini-din to scart cable, so hooked together this thing with a spare connector I found in a box.

Works well. Picture quality is good, but photographs poorly. (Also, TV could use a recap).

gX01qZYr.jpg

ryyyvxv.jpg

Next step is making the PSU to Molex connector nicer (and not just use three leads). Also need to play around more with the RGB pots.

Should have that solved by the time my proper RGB cable gets here.

Was fun to solder it up. Well designed!
2.1 looks neat too.

@buffi awesome games room (well games corner) and Sony CRT too :thumbsup:

You can do the power molex on the cheap by going to a computer store and asking for a 4 pin molex to 4 pin PCI-Express power cable (used to power video cards), just make sure its fully pinned as they often only have 5 of the 6 wires populated. Also the wires are often short, but you can solder on longer ones and put heat-shrink over the soldered bits. Luckily I have tons of these from my BTC/LTC mining days :cursing:
1366985281_916997.jpg

@buffi awesome games room (well games corner) and Sony CRT too :thumbsup:

You can do the power molex on the cheap by going to a computer store and asking for a 4 pin molex to 4 pin PCI-Express power cable (used to power video cards), just make sure its fully pinned as they often only have 5 of the 6 wires populated. Also the wires are often short, but you can solder on longer ones and put heat-shrink over the soldered bits. Luckily I have tons of these from my BTC/LTC mining days :cursing:
1366985281_916997.jpg
Great tip!
I will just get one of those, then snip the wites on the other end, and crimp on PSU connectors. Short wires should be ok for my use case.

Now that I finally have this hooked up, I've played around with it a bit more, and works great!
Tried some capturing of it into a OSSC with LineX4 and then into USB3HDCAP (and then scaled to 1080p in OBS), and it looks very nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th82AjEo0_Y&feature=youtu.be

I need to tune the colors a bit better, and figure out which scanlines setting I want on the OSSC, but everything works very well.

edit: Actually, listening to the output a bit, there's a very audible high pitched sound (ground loop issue?). I'll see if I can figure out what's up with that.

edit2: I disabled my connections to the scart cable and just used the headphone jack for output and seems fine now :)

Last edited:
Back