What's new
ce I have the bootcore set to "lastcore" and I want SSF2T to autoload, I decided to test my theory and change the default timeout time from 10 seconds to the max of 30 seconds. I powered up the MisterCade, let it do its thing and load SSF2T after the 30 second timeout. It loaded perfectly without issues. I repeated this 5 times and the results were perfect every time.
Ah, yes, loading the menu also determines the SDRAM size (0 / 32 / 64 / 128 MB). If you skip that part, you're going to have a bad time. It's really hard to troubleshoot these kinds of things remotely but I'm glad you solved it for yourself :)

Okay thanks @Aurich and @ShootTheCore I thought @misteraddons had done some magic with these files …

96068C2F-2E74-4DCC-AEE9-A9A05FDEED23.jpeg
Regarding the cores that need rotation, those files are 1 year old by now and config options in those cores may have changed, making the files invalid. Simply open each core that you want flipped, flip them then save settings and that should make a fresh config file. There are 1400+ unique arcade roms on MiSTer so no real easy way of keeping up with it. If I had an updater script, that would help greatly. I've gone down that route far enough to see that there are some snags :(

Not all of the Tate cores have flip implemented but most of the good ones do. To be clear this doesn't have anything to do with MiSTercade itself (the hardware), these are core features. I'm very grateful to all core developers :)

I’m still not clear on what those files do-I haven’t used them in my tate MiSTercade setup. Try one and see I guess…. :D

My assumption is that they enable the flip option that’s already included on that core.
I’m sure someone’s worked it out somewhere. Even in the organised category there’s CCW and CW vertical games - but the list is the same for me. In some of the in-game settings (F12) there’s also options to flip or invert etc but they don’t seem to do anything. I’ll keep researching 💆‍♂️

Edit…just read @misteraddons reply above after posting. Thanks. I think I’ll start from scratch and flip what games I can and save them.

@misteraddons I’m keen to buy a remote board but it seems I need the top board as well. Are they out of stock? There doesn’t seem to be an option to buy the top board.

Last edited:
I’m sure someone’s worked it out somewhere. Even in the organised category there’s CCW and CW vertical games - but the list is the same for me. In some of the in-game settings (F12) there’s also options to flip or invert etc but they don’t seem to do anything. I’ll keep researching 💆‍♂️

Edit…just read @misteraddons reply above after posting. Thanks. I think I’ll start from scratch and flip what games I can and save them.

@misteraddons I’m keen to buy a remote board but it seems I need the top board as well. Are they out of stock? There doesn’t seem to be an option to buy the top board.
I temporarily hid the top, bottom, and XL boards so new MiSTercade purchasers wouldn't accidentally select extra parts. Hoping to resist the hidden items next week - just catching up a bit :)

Ah, yes, loading the menu also determines the SDRAM size (0 / 32 / 64 / 128 MB). If you skip that part, you're going to have a bad time. It's really hard to troubleshoot these kinds of things remotely but I'm glad you solved it for yourself :)
So setting bootcore= an MRA will mean the SDRAM is not detected properly? You can't just set SDRAM size via ini?

If a core has a flip setting that doesn’t seem to work, try resetting the core after changing the setting.
I have tried this but to no avail with the Nichibutsu/Cave titles. After I save the settings and exit and reload the core, the settings remain as they were. I am rotated CCW (anode cap of monitor is to the east/left/1p side when facing the cab) but I think my yoke wires are reversed? I had been using those extra CCW config files, perhaps that is relevant too?

I have tried this but to no avail with the Nichibutsu/Cave titles. After I save the settings and exit and reload the core, the settings remain as they were. I am rotated CCW (anode cap of monitor is to the east/left/1p side when facing the cab) but I think my yoke wires are reversed? I had been using those extra CCW config files, perhaps that is relevant too?

On the Cave core, you need to go into the game's Service Menu and change the Screen Invert option, as per notes from the core developer here:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade-Cave_MiSTer/issues/104

As for the Nichibutsu core, I'm not sure. It might the same thing - check and see if there's a Service menu you can go into with those games. Otherwise, I suggest filing a bug report on the GitHub repository for that core.

https://github.com/va7deo/TerraCresta

So setting bootcore= an MRA will mean the SDRAM is not detected properly? You can't just set SDRAM size via ini?
You can set boot core to an MRA but if you disable timeout, the RAM won't be properly detected. There is no SDRAM setting in MiSTer.ini. It is (thankfully) autodetected on boot :)

You can set boot core to an MRA but if you disable timeout, the RAM won't be properly detected. There is no SDRAM setting in MiSTer.ini. It is (thankfully) autodetected on boot :)

Just to reclarify in case it wasn't clear. With SSF2T, the issues I had wasn't due to me having the boot core to an MRA directly. I had my bootcore set to "last core" and had it set to the default 10 second timeout and that wasn't enough for SSF2T to load without graphic/flicker issues. Setting it to 30 seconds fixed it.

Hi everyone,
Jeeze -- where do I start? I just recently picked up my first arcade. It's a Point Blank 2 converted from High Impact (I'm told). It's using HAPP guns, so there's all kinds of stuff going on inside that is a little bit beyond me at the moment.
My MiSTercade will be arriving in the mail in a few days and I plan on building a new control panel to use with it. I'd like to be able to swap back and forth between PB2 and the MiSTercade (and maybe even some other PCBs using standard controls).

What's my best bet for wiring up the control panel to the MiSTercade? I believe I'll need some kind of kick harness to do 6 buttons per player.
Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi everyone,
Jeeze -- where do I start? I just recently picked up my first arcade. It's a Point Blank 2 converted from High Impact (I'm told). It's using HAPP guns, so there's all kinds of stuff going on inside that is a little bit beyond me at the moment.
My MiSTercade will be arriving in the mail in a few days and I plan on building a new control panel to use with it. I'd like to be able to swap back and forth between PB2 and the MiSTercade (and maybe even some other PCBs using standard controls).

What's my best bet for wiring up the control panel to the MiSTercade? I believe I'll need some kind of kick harness to do 6 buttons per player.
Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Interesting cab. Generally speaking, your control panel will need two joysticks, 12 action buttons and 2 Start buttons. These parts can be purchased from arcade parts suppliers like Paradise Arcade, Focus Attack, etc. The joysticks, Start buttons and first three action buttons will all need to be wired to the cabs existing JAMMA harness - the suppliers you buy parts from can also supply you with pre-made wiring. You will also need a kick harness (ideally CPS2) to wire up action buttons 4-6 for each player. Make sure the kick harness you buy is fully populated (no missing wires) for optimal compatibility.

Post some pics of the cabs existing panel and JAMMA harness once it arrives and we’ll be able to better advise you.

Ok.. this is freaking amazing. It just works. I don't know what I expected, but I'm floored.
Need to build a CP, stat!
2022-08-20_13-31-52.jpg

Would it make the most sense to buy a JAMMA extender and wire in my second control panel through that so I can leave the original harness undisturbed? Is that how people handle that?
Thanks for all of the help.

Would it make the most sense to buy a JAMMA extender and wire in my second control panel through that so I can leave the original harness undisturbed? Is that how people handle that?
Thanks for all of the help.

I don’t know how the light guns are wired on that cab, but wiring a second CP via a JAMMA harness should work fine as long as nothing else is triggering control signals into the harness.

I don’t know how the light guns are wired on that cab, but wiring a second CP via a JAMMA harness should work fine as long as nothing else is triggering control signals into the harness.
Nothing needs to be done regarding the guns, all the gun stuff is either on the separate 48pin connector or the Position PCB.

Just need to run any missing wires for buttons/sticks on the JAMMA connector, remove it from the PB PCB, slap it on the Mistercade and boom, done.

This may sound like heresy, but you could remove the gun panel all together and put maybe a Raspberry Pi or MAME pc in there, and wire up some USB ports into the new CP you're planning on building, that way you can get some USB guns, and play other gun games without having to swap back and forth.

I may be talkin outta my ass, Im not certain if MAME or RetroPie can play PB games, but I would imagine it can.

This may sound like heresy, but you could remove the gun panel all together and put maybe a Raspberry Pi or MAME pc in there, and wire up some USB ports into the new CP you're planning on building, that way you can get some USB guns, and play other gun games without having to swap back and forth.

I may be talkin outta my ass, Im not certain if MAME or RetroPie can play PB games, but I would imagine it can.
MiSTer supports native lightens for each core as well as general purpose guns: GunCon2, and GunCon3 as well as Wiimote and Gun4IR light guns. Just need to break out sync for GunCon 2 to work.

GunCon 2 will also work with Pi and PCs It think but I don't know enough to say :)

Nothing needs to be done regarding the guns, all the gun stuff is either on the separate 48pin connector or the Position PCB.

Just need to run any missing wires for buttons/sticks on the JAMMA connector, remove it from the PB PCB, slap it on the Mistercade and boom, done.
If you don't mind, I'm going to take some pictures of my existing wiring in hopes that someone can make sense of it. I'll update this post.

Edit: here's what I have. These go to gun1 and gun2:

PXL_20220825_011245383.jpg

This goes to Player 1 and Player 2 START (and there's another connecter behind here with nothing plugged into it):
PXL_20220825_011314015.jpg

Notice some cut wires on the solder side of the JAMMA harness:
PXL_20220825_011416483.jpg
PXL_20220825_011411143.jpg

Last edited:
Updated my previous post with pictures. Any advice on what I should buy/build to have an easily swappable control panel is much appreciated!

Back