What's new
Interesting, thanks zim! Makes sense, I suspected it might have something to do with how the Expander defaults to MAME keyboard, but I didn't want to speculate in the open since I was uncertain of the exact reason for the differences in behavior.

I guess now I need to look into how it might be possible to switch MiSTercade to use MAME keyboard as default. :)

Last edited:
How are JAMMA RGB levels handled on DE10 Nano or MiSTerCade? Is there an amp on MiSTerCade to get the video to JAMMA levels (2-5vpp)? Or does the FPGA on the DE10 handle that?

I don’t think that’s possible on MiSTercade without a firmware update for the IO controller designed to enable such functionality.
Furthermore, MAME key bindings have been removed from many of the non-Jotego arcade cores so gamepad mode is the only mode I plan on supporting. The mappings are all there for existing arcade games. Test menus should be accessible from the on screen display menu, or the options should be transported to the OSD menu directly. If not, create a Github issue for that core to remind the developer :)
How are JAMMA RGB levels handled on DE10 Nano or MiSTerCade? Is there an amp on MiSTerCade to get the video to JAMMA levels (2-5vpp)? Or does the FPGA on the DE10 handle that?
Sorry, not interested in helping with RaphFriend's project.

You have to understand that the people actually working on MiSTer by and large don't care about cabs. Hell, most of them don't even care about arcade hardware at all. If it wasn't for Jotego and everyone who helps him out we'd be in a sorry state for it all. It's a console box. Putting things in menus makes sense to them because arcade hardware isn't even an afterthought for the most part.

I am not working on Raph_friend's project. I am not in the market for a MiSTer to JAMMA I/O, as I already have JAMMAizer which works just fine for that application. I was just asking a question.
You excitedly join raphs discord after the announcement of the himitsu. Next day you are in here asking specific questions about how the mistercade operates, a competing product.

Even I raised an eyebrow.

(I have a final Mistercade I paid for, a beta unit I helped test in minor ways, I recommend the Mistercade to people, I give zero fucks about choosing sides, just to be clear.)

Isn't the raph project open source? That seems cool to be excited about. Not to discount anyone else's work, but this hobby has a track record of enthusiast niche products eventally fading away when their creators burn out or move on. Open source is a good way to keep us future proofed.

And uh, presumably the person working on a hardware solution like that already knows how the DE10 handles RGB levels and doesn't need to send a spy into a public forum to ask.

misteraddons doesn't have to answer questions he doesn't want to, but this is an enthusiast forum where we chat about shit, don't see any reason to feel hostile about it.

You excitedly join raphs discord after the announcement of the himitsu.
So did @ShootTheCore. Does that mean he is involved in Raph's project?
Next day you are in here asking specific questions about how the mistercade operates, a competing product.

Even I raised an eyebrow.
I just asked a question. How does that raise an eyebrow. Is the question I am asking some trade secret?

I can assure you, I am not in the market for a JAMMA I/O. Like I said, JAMMAizer works just fine. Raise an eyebrow............LoLoLoL!!!!
maybe hes just RealMFnCurious
Exactly. I only asked the question since Raph's comment didn't make sense to me. One version of his I/O has the AMP, the open source one does not. But you guys act like it is some trade secret that is being violated.

(I have a final Mistercade I paid for, a beta unit I helped test in minor ways, I recommend the Mistercade to people, I give zero fucks about choosing sides, just to be clear.)

Isn't the raph project open source? That seems cool to be excited about. Not to discount anyone else's work, but this hobby has a track record of enthusiast niche products eventally fading away when their creators burn out or move on. Open source is a good way to keep us future proofed.

And uh, presumably the person working on a hardware solution like that already knows how the DE10 handles RGB levels and doesn't need to send a spy into a public forum to ask.

misteraddons doesn't have to answer questions he doesn't want to, but this is an enthusiast forum where we chat about shit, don't see any reason to feel hostile about it.
Word.

Hahaha. I have been on the forum for years, sharing information as I go. All the sudden, ppl think I am an industrial spy :).

Misteraddons is a primary if not main source of income for the man's family. I am sure he is just being cautious. But to me this is where you need to start being careful about that stuff.

So did @ShootTheCore. Does that mean he is involved in Raph's project?

Exactly. I only asked the question since Raph's comment didn't make sense to me. One version of his I/O has the AMP, the open source one does not. But you guys act like it is some trade secret that is being violated.
I can see you asking genuine questions about the operation of the himitsus handling of vpp in raphs discord. To ME this isn't unusual but to those not in there it might seem suspicious. I was only pointing that out. The questions did lead to how other products handle their amps and then it was left up to a voice channel invitation. Hence the raised eyebrow.

I can see you asking genuine questions about the operation of the himitsus handling of vpp in raphs discord. To ME this isn't unusual but to those not in there it might seem suspicious. I was only pointing that out. The questions did lead to how other products handle their amps and then it was left up to a voice channel invitation. Hence the raised eyebrow.
If I am asking such a question to the creator of the project openly in his Discord, how can I be involved in said project? I haven't been back to that Discord channel since like the 2nd day it was created. But you've clearly been there all the while. Annnnnnnnnnd, I am in the industrial spy?!! I am the one raising the eyebrow? LoLoL!! Oliver Stone, is that you?

If you don't want to answer the question, that is cool. I'll figure it out.

I didn't accuse you of being a spy but you offered to take measurements for the RaphFriend JAMMA thing and asked how MiSTercade handles video in both places. Yet you're not involved with the RaphFriend JAMMA device. You see how it looks, right? It's no drama :)

The version of Raph's board with the video amp isn't planned to be open source.

I was confused by the Open Source SKU split, so I asked on Twitter. The USB hub, video amp and audio amp won’t be in the Open Source version. It really dampened the enthusiasm I had for it personally.

738D57C1-EBEF-408F-8283-97855B4889A7.png

Last edited:
I didn't accuse you of being a spy but you offered to take measurements for the RaphFriend JAMMA thing and asked how MiSTercade handles video in both places. Yet you're not involved with the RaphFriend JAMMA device.
Raph mentioned it but I didn't offer to take any measurements. Nor have I taken any. The question I asked on Discord was "What video amp was being used?" Which is different than the question I asked here.
He mentioned that too.

All the question has to do with is that Raph mentioned that FPGA handles RGB levels. I think it is amazing that FPGA would be able to handle RGB levels. But then again, only arcade cores would benefit. Consoles don't amp RGB levels to JAMMA levels. Additionally, he is using HDMI to analog conversion so that GPIO is bypassed. It just didn't make any sense to me especially given that he wouldn't have an RGB amp in the open-source version. So I asked the question here. Unbeknownst to me, a secret society replete with special handshakes pops up to defend against the question.

You see how it looks, right? It's no drama
smile.png
You guys are mentioning optics. But then again, what are you guys doing in Raph's Discord clearly logging every keystroke?

Nope, no drama.

Not logging every keystroke, someone told me people were referencing MiSTercade so I went to check it out. Would you not be curious if someone was talking about your design in a discussion about a new competing product?

Back