What's new
A few possibilities on the controls and coins not functioning as expected.

- Make sure you've copied all of the mapping files from the MiSTercade GitHub to the corresponding folder on your SD card. They are located at config->inputs.
- When a core first loads, you have to tap a control button on Player 1 first so that MiSTer sees that side as a "controller" before any other signals will work. This is just how MiSTer works - the first controller with a button pressed is assigned Player 1, the second controller with a button pressed is assigned Player 2, etc.
- If the controls still don't function as expected, you may have to rebind the controls for that core manually. Pull up the MiSTer Menu, go right one screen, and choose "Define <CORE NAME> Buttons". When prompted for the Coin input, insert a coin into your cab.

For Ghosts N Goblins, you'll need to go into the menu for the game options and set the Flip option.

Ikari and Contra were both designed for a vertical monitor. You'll have to either rotate the monitor on your cabinet or get used to playing them sideways. The MiSTer cannot rotate and scale a vertical game to display on a horizontal monitor at this time.

A few possibilities on the controls and coins not functioning as expected.

- Make sure you've copied all of the mapping files from the MiSTercade GitHub to the corresponding folder on your SD card. They are located at config->inputs.
- When a core first loads, you have to tap a control button on Player 1 first so that MiSTer sees that side as a "controller" before any other signals will work. This is just how MiSTer works - the first controller with a button pressed is assigned Player 1, the second controller with a button pressed is assigned Player 2, etc.
- If the controls still don't function as expected, you may have to rebind the controls for that core manually. Pull up the MiSTer Menu, go right one screen, and choose "Define <CORE NAME> Buttons". When prompted for the Coin input, insert a coin into your cab.

For Ghosts N Goblins, you'll need to go into the menu for the game options and set the Flip option.

Ikari and Contra were both designed for a vertical monitor. You'll have to either rotate the monitor on your cabinet or get used to playing them sideways. The MiSTer cannot rotate and scale a vertical game to display on a horizontal monitor at this time.
thank you very much.

Unfortunately, the HDMI audio/video on the XL isn't a standard HDMI signal. You can use an HDMI splitter though and yeah, just connect USB. The trick with the PRas3 cabinets is to convert from JVS to JAMMA, but maybe you already have that covered :)
No biggie, that totally works. Thanks for scratching my curiosity on the second HDMI A/V port - I figured that could be the case and you saved me some time testing it out.

The PRas3's come with Sega I/O 4 and while they support JVS, it's default wiring supports USB input. It's essentially a straight Sega PC build with additional JVS functionality as far as I can tell, working windows10/11 drivers and all. So if I ever do this, I'll be using the Mistercade in a normal HD Mister configuration and just use my pre-existing A/V/Input split setup in that case. Pretty sure all I'll need is a HDMI to DVI-D converter to the monitor.

While that would be a fun experiment, 99.9% of the time the Mistercades will be used via Jamma on the New Astro Citys for that crispy retro CRT goodness.

No biggie, that totally works. Thanks for scratching my curiosity on the second HDMI A/V port - I figured that could be the case and you saved me some time testing it out.

The PRas3's come with Sega I/O 4 and while they support JVS, it's default wiring supports USB input. It's essentially a straight Sega PC build with additional JVS functionality as far as I can tell, working windows10/11 drivers and all. So if I ever do this, I'll be using the Mistercade in a normal HD Mister configuration and just use my pre-existing A/V/Input split setup in that case. Pretty sure all I'll need is a HDMI to DVI-D converter to the monitor.

While that would be a fun experiment, 99.9% of the time the Mistercades will be used via Jamma on the New Astro Citys for that crispy retro CRT goodness.
I'm a bit jealous as I want a PRas3 but I haven't seen one in person :)

- golden axe just load a test program menu and not response to any button have to reset mistercade
This is mainly a problem with the current core, not the MiSTerCade. It starts the game up in service mode.

You got to go into the dipswitch settings in the mister’s menu and flip service mode to on then off again. That should get you out of the service mode (test program).

Your best bet is to take out your multimeter and start pinning it out. Having a map will get your a lot farther.
Just sending an update. I now have a Google Sheet with the whole cabinet wiring mapped out and put this together:
2022-09-17_13-19-42.jpg

I'll pretty it up sometime soon with some graphics or something. Also p2 buttons are stand-ins while I wait for the ones I ordered to arrive. Super happy right now! And so done with building wiring harnesses lol.

I have to figure out a solution for holstering the Namco guns to the side. Also thinking about making them removable somehow with external plugs.

Thanks for all of your help!

Edit: added aviator connectors and reterminated the guns/added door barricade brackets for holsters. I'm going to 3d print something to put over them so they look better once I decide on side art. Also installed a 2 way Jamma switcher from John Riddle so i can keep Point Blank 2 plugged in while MiSTercading.
PXL_20220925_210558872.MP.jpg
PXL_20220925_210724907.jpg

Last edited:
My friend have an astrocity cabinet with a counter clockwise monitor. He connect mistercade v.1.1 and it work normally. Yesterday he replace his monitor with a new one (also counter clockwise setup) and found that his joystick move itself every direction non stop.

Any suggestion please?

AAE0AF26-C2A0-4C9E-8D28-7EADCA92E74C.jpeg

My friend have an astrocity cabinet with a counter clockwise monitor. He connect mistercade v.1.1 and it work normally. Yesterday he replace his monitor with a new one (also counter clockwise setup) and found that his joystick move itself every direction non stop.

Any suggestion please?

AAE0AF26-C2A0-4C9E-8D28-7EADCA92E74C.jpeg
Sounds like he's shorted one of the joystick wires.
Thank you for reply. He found out that the cabinet had poor wiring by old owner without any ground wire. Have to add many many new ground wire and now it’s work like a charm.

Scratching my head here. I'm having an issue with P1 button 4 on my mistercade. It was working without issue and suddenly stopped responding. I have tried a cps2 kick harness, jamma, chamma, mutliple cabinets, multiple jamma harnesses. All other inputs for P1 & P2 work fine. Any ideas?

Hmm…well, it sounds like we can rule wiring out since you’ve tried it with so many different setups. As I understand it, Button 4 is wired through both the JAMMA pin and both kick harness ports on MiSTercade simultaneously - maybe one of them is grounding out? If you have a multimeter, do a continuity test with JAMMA Pin 25 against one of the Ground pins like Pin 28 - it should not read continuity.

Any other suggestions @misteraddons ?

Hmm…well, it sounds like we can rule wiring out since you’ve tried it with so many different setups. As I understand it, Button 4 is wired through both the JAMMA pin and both kick harness ports on MiSTercade simultaneously - maybe one of them is grounding out? If you have a multimeter, do a continuity test with JAMMA Pin 25 against one of the Ground pins like Pin 28 - it should not read continuity.

Any other suggestions @misteraddons ?
Holy shit, you hit the nail on the head. B4 is shorted to ground. Now to figure out why.

Holy shit, you hit the nail on the head. B4 is shorted to ground. Now to figure out why.
Jusy verified on the jamma pinoout and kick harness pins on the mistercade itself. That is the only button like that.

*with both harnesses completely disconnected.

It sounds like you might have inadvertantly ESD shocked it. I have protection diodes for each pin which short to ground to protect the microcontroller.

JAMMA edge > TVS diode > 1K resistor > microcontroller. Your best bet is to remove that package and see if the problem is alleviated.

I haven't seen these fail before but that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

1664732259485.png

It sounds like you might have inadvertantly ESD shocked it. I have protection diodes for each pin which short to ground to protect the microcontroller.

JAMMA edge > TVS diode > 1K resistor > microcontroller. Your best bet is to remove that package and see if the problem is alleviated.

I haven't seen these fail before but that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

1664732259485.png
When you say remove that package exactly what am I disconnecting. I am very comfortable with a soldering iron, just let me know exactly what and where I need to disconnect.

Removing that 100% added P1 B4 functionality back to the Mistercade. Thank you so much for your help I seriously appreciate it. I'm not sure if it was you I speaking with directly on your site late last night, but that was some seriouslly good customer service. You did not have to respond to me on a weekend, let alone after 10pm but you were willing to assist. Is there anything else I should do or check as far as this goes?

Back