What's new
2 - There have been reports that e.g. Taito F3 does not with with H/V sync on the VGA port, but works with C-SYNC on the Scart input.
I always thought it was the other way around, which is why HAS has that adapter to feed video from the HAS to the VGA port of the OSSC?

I really need to get hold of an OSSC for some testing purposes.

Yes, an adapter from the JF to the OSSC would me much appreciated, maybe something that also incorporates the F3 fix as well, someone make this please and let me know where to send $$ :) I need 4 of them.

I think the tri-sync helper to VGA port of the OSSC should do the business most of the time - even though I know technically it's not optimal. For this reason, and because I don't make or sell the OSSC - it's not something I can officially recommend or support. Test reports welcome though, as it's of interest to most vewlix owners.

I havent tried the new batch with the tri-sync helpers yet, gonna try to get to it this weekend. I think the JF with the OSSC would make an excellent replacement for Taito's jamma kit which is now no longer sold.

I think the tri-sync helper to VGA port of the OSSC should do the business most of the time - even though I know technically it's not optimal. For this reason, and because I don't make or sell the OSSC - it's not something I can officially recommend or support. Test reports welcome though, as it's of interest to most vewlix owners.
Looks like you're about to learn a lot from this place!!!

Mine comes today in the mail.
Stupid fast shipping!!!
Nice job getting these in our hands half a globe away!!!

whcjnTd.gif

Out-of-the-box, technically, the OSSC does not handle arcade video. It may work, but is out of spec. The video part is a complicated area with many parameters, which is part of the reason I chose to leave it out to avoid hitting corner cases left and right. While there could be an OSSC-helper, that thing should really be a generic jamma to OSSC part, and probably by made by someone else than me :)
If the board is being run in a cab it'd be smarter to do something like JAMMAFIER > SYNC HELPER > VGA CORD > VERSUS BOARD > SPLIT FROM CAB

The versus boards can act as both a vga and audio splitter so you can take the output and feed it through a scaler to clean the signal for OSSC. Granted if you were wanting to run this through OSSC only you can do that as well but as was mentioned in rgb's HAS thread you need a scaler in front of sorts to clean up the signal like a DVDO scaler. It'll add latency but should fix any and all compatibility issues.

I figured I'd post a couple usage cases.
I got mine and was pleasantly pleased by it's build quality as well. Nice work.
Gotta love those lil OLED displays.

So far I've tried it with my CPS2, Aliens, and MK boards
Using a USA Capcom IO, controls were stupid snappy and quick.
Everything was powered by a regular ATX PSU.
It works admirably with everything except the OSSC when trying to get it to output something my LCD VGA equipment likes.

Couple Test Cases:
Wired up with Tri-Sync helper to OSSC to Asus LCD monitor via HDMI... sync but no picture (Jamma - helper - VGA - OSSC - Hdmi - Monitor)
by default the OSSC feeds this monitor a picture without issue using SCART, VGA not so much

Wired up Tri-sync helper to GBS8200 Chinese shit VGA scaler to LCD monitor. Great picture, just wide, but very usable. (Jamma - helper - VGA - GBS8200 - VGA - Monitor)
(I need a scaler as expected, the OSSC doesn't like the VGA straight out with Tri-sync so much for LCDs)

Removed tri-sync helper, plugged into OSSC, and got a picture on monitor, but the gamma was pretty hot. (Jamma - VGA - OSSC - Hdmi - Monitor)
De-soldered the 5V connector near the VGA on the Jammafier, picture got better.
It's serviceable but not as good as SCART on OSSC when using LCD monitors.

I'll have a PVM to test with this weekend.
I totally know it's not made for LCD monitors, but I figured i'd give it a good ole college try.

Wired up Tri-sync helper to GBS8200 Chinese shit VGA scaler to LCD monitor. Great picture, just wide, but very usable. (Jamma - helper - VGA - GBS8200 - VGA - Monitor)

(I need a scaler as expected, the OSSC doesn't like the VGA straight out with Tri-sync so much for LCDs)

Removed tri-sync helper, plugged into OSSC, and got a picture on monitor, but the gamma was pretty hot. (Jamma - VGA - OSSC - Hdmi - Monitor)
De-soldered the 5V connector near the VGA on the Jammafier, picture got better.
It's serviceable but not as good as SCART on OSSC when using LCD monitors.
The GBS8200 doesn't need the tri-sync helper, https://irkenlabs.com/jammafier/faq - you just need to dial down the pots.

The 5V on the Jammafier shouldn't affect things, apart from noise in the cable I guess. The OSSC, according to rev 1.5 schematics at least, has pin 9 just floating.

If you want to hack it and know how to solder, you can try tri-sync helper RGB output lines to OSSC VGA input and bypass the sync processing on the tri-sync helper so the OSSC will get the raw jamma sync. You will then loose the LPF on the scart input, but I think the OSSC likes Csync better than H/V sync for some reason. A budget version of this is to have series resistors on the RGB lines.

It's tricky business - I guess someone should get cracking on making a purpose-built arcade scaler :)

out of curiosity, is the tri sync helper wired for both h+v sync or composite sync only ? I have tried to use it with the namco 256 and it works only on composite sync switch mode. I find I have a better image to dial with than hooking the vga directly even in 31khz

out of curiosity, is the tri sync helper wired for both h+v sync or composite sync only ? I have tried to use it with the namco 256 and it works only on composite sync switch mode. I find I have a better image to dial with than hooking the vga directly even in 31khz
Not sure I get your question, but I can give a brief overview of the tri-sync helper.
1 - It attenuates an re-amplifies to RGB lines to 75Ohm impedance,same the level as VGA
2 - It takes csync on input, cleans and separates that into H+V sync

the namco 256 has actually a hd15 output, and one can select 15khz/31khz, h+V/csync.

It works ok without the tri-sync helper, but I find the attenuation/reamplification of the trisync helper gives a nice picture when used with it in csync mode with the namco video switches, however I get no signal when H+V is triggered, and what I understand is it takes csync input only, it doesn't get the H+V on input, as it expects only one pin. Is that correct ?

the namco 256 has actually a hd15 output, and one can select 15khz/31khz, h+V/csync.

It works ok without the tri-sync helper, but I find the attenuation/reamplification of the trisync helper gives a nice picture when used with it in csync mode with the namco video switches, however I get no signal when H+V is triggered, and what I understand is it takes csync input only, it doesn't get the H+V on input, as it expects only one pin. Is that correct ?
But how do you power it if it doesn't go through the Jammafier? Yes you are correct, the tri-sync helper is C-sync only on input, and only H/V sync output.

Block diagram of operation here: https://irkenlabs.com/jammafier/tri-sync-helper

Personally I think the hd15 31khz output of the 256 is ok :)

Obviously an arcade centric scaler would be the best solution, I doubt we will see that anytime soon, if ever. If it happens Im in line to get like 5 of them.

I think the Jammafiers are an excellent and much needed device, couple that with a kick-ass scaler like the OSSC, and you got a winning combination in getting a simple, fast solution to get your Jamma games on a HD cab.

Now, who is gonna make that little adapter board to make things easier to hook up the JFs to the OSSCs and feed it the proper levels/signals it needs??? I would be willing to pay $50-60 each adapter.

Last edited:

But how do you power it if it doesn't go through the Jammafier? Yes you are correct, the tri-sync helper is C-sync only on input, and only H/V sync output.
Block diagram of operation here: https://irkenlabs.com/jammafier/tri-sync-helper

Personally I think the hd15 31khz output of the 256 is ok :)
I used it without the jammafier, powered directly from the 256.

Yes it's ok without it, but I find the attenuation gives a less saturated image to dial, maybe I didn't give it more time. I just wanted to confirm it's C-sync only > H/V output only. Thanks.

EDIT : just tried again without the trisync helper, yes it's better just had to tweak the osd a little until finding the right settings, I think last time it was with the 15khz mode that I had this test.

Last edited:
the tri-sync helper is C-sync only on input, and only H/V sync output.
Giving the Tri-Sync Helper a jumper/switch for TTL H/V sync vs 1Vpp 75ohm csync would make it valuable to a lot of people I think. Should make it work on lots of PVM/SCART displays and OSSC's SCART port.

Well this is exaclty what I did in this order;
- Unpack the Jammafier :P
- Hook everything up to my cab, video, audio, power, JVS
- Insert SD card with latest FW file
- Power ON cab and update FW
- Power OFF cab and connect a Jamma board
- Power ON and got confused as it was set to MVS layout
- Change settings to 'normal' and everything OK, also after power cycles and swapping boards

Note; I did not remove the SD card after the FW update, but it should be blank otherwise, no INI file or anything as it was a brand new Jammafier and SD card.
Thanks for detailed bug report, I was able to reproduce. The bug occurs if there is a readable SD card present when starting up, but with no config saved. The fix will be included in the next firmware release. Workaround for now is to either not have an SD card inserted, or to save the config.

Not sure where to post, so sticking it here

Kind of hard to take good video/picture of a CRT. This is Neo Geo through the Retro Scaler A1, powered via the Jammafier. The scan lines are fake, but actually look softer at this setting than native on an MS9 crt. (Yes you can change the intensity of the scanlines.. :) )

@invzim just throwing an idea, is it technically possible to have a functionnality to rotate image by 90°for vertical games ? Such a thing is missing on arcade area. I know it's not the best way to play vertical games as scanlines get reverted. Then what about fake vertical scanlines with HD resolution, it would also be something interesting to experiment. I know it's still fake but well I wish I had more space and budget for vertical setup... missing good titles is more pissing me off.

Last edited:
Back