What's new
@invzim just throwing an idea, is it technically possible to have a functionnality to rotate image by 90°for vertical games ? Such a thing is missing on arcade area. I know it's not the best way to play vertical games as scanlines get reverted. Then what about fake vertical scanlines with HD resolution, it would also be something interesting to experiment. I know it's still fake but well I wish I had more space and budget for vertical setup... missing good titles is more pissing me off.
That's your opinion :) But no, not technically not possible and not going to happen. Rotating an image is technically a pretty big deviation from the original hardware/output - I would go Mame in that scenario.

@invzim just throwing an idea, is it technically possible to have a functionnality to rotate image by 90°for vertical games ? Such a thing is missing on arcade area. I know it's not the best way to play vertical games as scanlines get reverted. Then what about fake vertical scanlines with HD resolution, it would also be something interesting to experiment. I know it's still fake but well I wish I had more space and budget for vertical setup... missing good titles is more pissing me off.
That's your opinion :) But no, not technically not possible and not going to happen. Rotating an image is technically a pretty big deviation from the original hardware/output - I would go Mame in that scenario.
wouldn't that also introduce a huge amount of lag as the complete picture first needs to be buffered, processed to vertical and than outputted?

Not sure where to post, so sticking it here

Kind of hard to take good video/picture of a CRT. This is Neo Geo through the Retro Scaler A1, powered via the Jammafier. The scan lines are fake, but actually look softer at this setting than native on an MS9 crt. (Yes you can change the intensity of the scanlines.. :) )
Yup, need a couple.

Jammafier - check
JVSpac v2 - need
Retro scaler - need

cant wait to get these.

Is it possible to have a remote board for controls of the retro scaler? That way you can the controls lets say inside the control panel.
Only ask because its annoying reaching into the cab to adjust the picture on the vewlixs as I have to do now with the jamma kit.

Is it possible to have a remote board for controls of the retro scaler? That way you can the controls lets say inside the control panel.
Only ask because its annoying reaching into the cab to adjust the picture on the vewlixs as I have to do now with the jamma kit.
The goal is to not need any controls for the scaler unless you want to go all-in OCD, in which case reaching for controls won't be a big concern :)
What kind of adjustments do you have in mind? I haven't done it yet, but I want it to be horizontally auto-centering to counter odd timings in different games.

Anything better than the Chinese shit scaler would be optimal!
Do you have any timeline for around when you'll be releasing this scaler @invzim???
The Jammafier is pretty rad. Really pleased with mine.

I have a request for your scaler that you're building or a feature implementation on the sync fixer - provide composite out on it.

"Why would you ever want composite out in an arcade cabinet?"

It's needed to wire up guncon 2 controllers for older versions of mame so if I could knock two birds out with one stone that'd be amazing.

Very cool. I need one of these Retro Scaler A1's when it is available please

"Why would you ever want composite out in an arcade cabinet?"

It's needed to wire up guncon 2 controllers for older versions of mame so if I could knock two birds out with one stone that'd be amazing.
Those guns (and all light guns like it?) only need a valid sync signal and don't need the full CVBS or Y/C video data, which should dramatically simplify the circuitry needs. Having a 1Vp-p 75 ohm RCA jack putting out sync would be useful, but I don't know if it needs csync or you can get away with just H or V. May as well put a USB A port in there to power the gun too while you're in there, which would be convenient.

Last edited:
so to get this straight, the Retroscaler is intented for 15KHz in and 31KHz out?
Would help a lot indeed for Vewlix but also 31KHz only cabs like Naomi :)

Do you have any timeline for around when you'll be releasing this scaler @invzim???
If it's available before 2020 I'm happy. There are some challenges transitioning this from working prototype to a finished available product. The bill-of-materials cost pr unit is a challenge that affects both up-front manufacturing cost and sales price, but I'm working on it.

I have a request for your scaler that you're building or a feature implementation on the sync fixer - provide composite out on it.
Scaler will most likely be H+V sync output only :)

so to get this straight, the Retroscaler is intented for 15KHz in and 31KHz out?
Would help a lot indeed for Vewlix but also 31KHz only cabs like Naomi :)
Correct - could be because I only have one cab and it's a 31k only Naomi Universal cab :) A reliable digital output scaler for arcade is likely not doable until silicon for HDMI 2.1/DP1.4 becomes available with variable-refresh/gsync/freesync.

Is it possible to make it also downscale from 31khz to 15khz ?

A most excellent ask. We need a scaler with 24khz support.
Is there any way to downscale without a full framebuffer and the requisite minimum full frame of lag? Might be possible to do something like 480p60->480i60 where each field drops every other progressive horizontal line on an alternating basis.

Getting 25khz into 31khz can be done with a 5:4 scale, but I don't know if that can be done with a simple scanline tool like the OSSC without a full framebuffer.

Interestingly, line doubled 25khz is PC-spec XGA, which is nice for 16:9 "720p" panels as they virtually all of them have a native resolution of 1366x768, including arcade cabinets like the Vewlix. Given how much component consolidation there was towards the end of the CRT era, it would interesting to see if any tri-sync or 31khz-only arcade monitors can take XGA in spite of the spec sheet.

Last edited:
Not sure how much it'll help you with this project but a two parter for ya... Ended up with a NOS Net City VS kit to fix the wiring in my cabinet. This came with an instruction manual that has the schematics to both Net City and Naomi Universal cabs. It seems to also have the various standard panel wiring which leads to my next question - Mahjong support possible?!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/448310398891065344/507196393387982848/image0.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/448310398891065344/507199230985895939/image0.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/448310398891065344/507196839192297482/image0.jpg

I currently lack a scanner and am working on obtaining one so I can get this full manual put up on arcade otaku's wiki which will be nice to finally have a schematic for both cabinets. No new net city in the manual unfortunately.

@invzim : can you remind us how much current can be drawn from the -5V line, let's say attached to a standard NUC PSU ?

put me down for one of these scalers.

Any chance there would be 24KHz support? either to go from 24K->31K or 24K->15K?
At least, not at launch. Main application is 15k arcade ->31k for CRT. Secondary is 15k RGB consoles -> CRT, for economic reasons and then all the rest I guess. If the scaler is out and I haven't lost a bunch of money on it, and a Gradius IV finds it's way to me I will have a go at it for sure :).
Technically yes, but output will be low-impedance and not arcade CRT compliant. What's the application?

Mahjong support possible?!
Do you have a working Mahjong JVS setup, and also a Mahjong jamma game handy?

@invzim : can you remind us how much current can be drawn from the -5V line, let's say attached to a standard NUC PSU ?
'Enough' :) There is so much dis-information on -5V out there, so I didn't put the actual numbers on the website. You can draw ~200mA from the Jammafier, and it will do a graceful shutdown/thermal throttling if you exceed this. During testing, I documented actual draw on the -5V rail to verify that it's up to snuff and found that the 200mA is actually way over-kill:

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/PCB_Power_Consumption

Back