What's new
Hex us better :)

Can you share these log files or are they in a proprietary format ?

Yeah, they spit out into a word document after each session. I can share them, I just want to make sure that I get the info that is more in line with what the group got before. Probably a setting thing.

@AbolishedEnigma you've did something wrong, captured data looks garbage nonsense. check beginning of this thread for InitialD reader logs, DOC should be almost the same.
Yeah, I figured as much. Is it because it spit out hex and the stuff before was done in decimal? I did see an option for that on the software. It also had an ASCII information dump, if that’s of use.

I will read back and see if I can at least mirror what was done before for consistency.

I’m thinking that when I get the the Naomi side wired up to the reader directly without that interface / converter board, and then get that connection tapped back to the PC it should show both sides of the communication.

Alright, I’m sure I can get that.

Anyone by chance recall the type of connector Naomi uses for their 6 pin connector to CN8?

I am going to have to make a serial cable to connect to the Naomi side of my listening set up. I thought I had an extra I could modify but I can’t seem to locate it at the moment.

Anyone by chance recall the type of connector Naomi uses for their 6 pin connector to CN8?
I'd recommend to forget about that. N1 CN8 are Sega's custom RS422-like serial interface, no one knows how the heck it works at hardware level, at software level uses custom protocol to communicate with RS422/RS232 interface board.
RE'ing of these sounds way above your (current) skills, if you cant capture trivial RS232 communications.

Last edited:
I am going to have to make a serial cable to connect to the Naomi side of my listening set up.
You can listen to the NAOMI directly at the card reader's RX, using the same method you did for listening to its TX. No need to do anything at the NAOMI itself.

I suspect the data you are recording is bad due to serial settings in your software. You have to set parity, stop bits, and baud rate to match what the game/reader are using.

I would guess it's the same as Initial D. I have it documented much earlier in this thread and it would be visible in the ID script.

I would expect the logs to look pretty similar to ID with regards to the protocol being used.

You can listen to the NAOMI directly
you can't
Naomi 1 != Naomi 2 in CN8 part, N1 have there custom RS422 serial comms (connected to MIE MCU), while in case of N2 InitialD you have at CN8 standard UART (connected to SH4's SCIF serial port).
that's why Derby Owners Club games uses setup like: Naomi 1 CN8 <-RS422-> 838-13661 RS422/RS232C BD DOC (with MCU and program ROM) <-RS232-> Sanwa CRP-1231xR reader

I'd recommend to forget about that. N1 CN8 are Sega's custom RS422-like serial interface, no one knows how the heck it works at hardware level, at software level uses custom protocol to communicate with RS422/RS232 interface board.
RE'ing of these sounds way above your (current) skills, if you cant capture trivial RS232 communications.
Maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way?

All I was trying to accomplish with creating that cable was to finish the connection to give me the Naomi side of the communication.

Since I will be the first to admit that this is well above my pay grade, maybe a picture or two will help communicate what I was hoping to achieve. I’ll give that a go… Maybe then someone can guide me in the right direction.

Software: 232Analyzer - full version - it should handle two way communication (or so it says) logging, as well as at some point allow me to simulate the signal of the equipment from the PC going either way.

Hardware: Naomi 1

Hardware: Sega RS422/RS232C BD DOC part number 838-13661

Hardware: Sanwa CRP-1231BR-10

Some cable that allows plugging into multiple ports

1641922733311.png

In my horribly inadequate brain, I was hoping to just connect that cable in between the connections, and the software would just magically show the communication back and forth. I thought I read somewhere in this thread that the RS422/RS232C board was just a transparent interface board.

I started by just adding that fancy cable and connecting it directly into the RS422/RS232 board like so.

1641923147155.png

Whatever it was reading and logging was coming from the card reader to the RS422/RS232C board. <- I believed that to be half the equation?

I have an open end of the cable currently, that I was hoping to create the cable that connected directly the Naomi (other half of the equation) to read the communication from the Naomi to the card reader. That was my wanting to connect from CN7 to this open serial spot on this cable.

1641923383849.png
1641923396986.png

For the sake of this, I was hoping to just add the cable (which has a final end that goes directly into the serial port on my PC) into the connection chain and the PC would log the communication back and forth.

1641923687691.png

So that was my (incorrect or oversimplified) theory on how just extend the connections by adding that multiport cable in order to track the communication both ways.

Though now that I have typed this all out, I kind of see why it doesn't really make sense...

I will make sure that the settings on the software are correct, and then try to figure out how to go back the other way...

Attachments

• 1641922561642.png
    1641922561642.png
    130.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 1641922912047.png
    1641922912047.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 1641923775374.png
    1641923775374.png
    441.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 1641923795384.png
    1641923795384.png
    295.5 KB · Views: 70
If the cardreader is rs232 you should be able to remove the cable directly connected to the cardreader and insert the tap there.

If there is an official wiring diagram that would help :)

If the cardreader is rs232 you should be able to remove the cable directly connected to the cardreader and insert the tap there.

Yeah, I thought that was the one I was tapping into, but maybe not…😅

Let me see if I can map it out better. Whatever I did (lengthening the wire or otherwise) the game doesn’t throw a card reader connection error yet, so something is being said in there somewhere. 😂

I’ve got to try to mirror what winteriscoming did before and stop trying to do my own thing I think

Attachments

• 4689972B-2BC4-41CF-AD06-494818D2D8B1.jpeg
    4689972B-2BC4-41CF-AD06-494818D2D8B1.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 66
Whatever it was reading and logging was coming from the card reader to the RS422/RS232C board. <- I believed that to be half the equation?
yep, you did it right. but it seems something went wrong, perhaps not correct serial comms settings like parity or stop bits count ?
I'd imagine these things might be configured by CRW DIP switches, so even if InitialD games uses exact same device, in theory they may use not the same UART settings as DOC games.

1641929090640.png

So this how it is normally wired up

1641929799337.png

I was trying to tap into what I assumed was the transmission coming from CN8 on the Naomi to the RS422/RS232 Board (TX) and what I assumed was the receiving signal from the Card R/W Unit (RX). I think I incorrectly assumed that they were uni-directional signals. So I was trying to tap into both sides and then feed both of them back into my PC and through the software to log the handoffs.

But what I may be understanding now from the comments is that the TX and the RX happen bi-directionally between the 422/232 board and the card reader? So really my only focus is what is highlighted below?

1641930342772.png

yep, you did it right. but it seems something went wrong, perhaps not correct serial comms settings like parity or stop bits count ?
I'd imagine these things might be configured by CRW DIP switches, so even if InitialD games uses exact same device, in theory they may use not the same UART settings as DOC games.

I tried to roll with the

9600 baud
8 data bits
even parity
1 stop bit

Still got the same kind of log as before...

hmm

As on outside observer, it looked like you were trying to monitor the RS422 side for TX and the RS232 side for RX. With RS422 being a differential signals and RS232 being a single ended signal - I am thinking this would present some challenges to capturing the communication.

As on outside observer, it looked like you were trying to monitor the RS422 side for TX and the RS232 side for RX. With RS422 being a differential signals and RS232 being a single ended signal - I am thinking this would present some challenges to capturing the communication.
Yup, that’s exactly what I was trying to do, and as I was mapping it out I was like, yeah no wonder that won’t work.

I learn the hard way in life.

I’ll flip through the settings available and see if any one does anything different.

I’ve been looking back at winteriscoming’s and seeing if I can wire like his.

I can’t tell by the past posts nor clearly in the past pictures but did he just split the Tx and Rx from the card R/W board connection at CN6 across two single or a dual serial port connected to the PC to see both signals coming and going?

Back