What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brent, I think all the sarcasm is lost in here.

DS / oliveira guys are true wizards.

Last edited:
What is the difference between Max 330 Mega Pro-Gear Spec and Giga Power Pro-Gear Spec ?
Bank switching allowed SNK to surpass the original 330 spec. So 'Giga Power' is essentially marketing for larger games.
As aha2940 mentioned ng:dev.team have a game clocked at 1536Mbit.
What game is that?

Nevermind, I found it:

"And AFAIK, unofficial games (Razion) have made it up to 1.5Giga power (1536Mb) so the neogeo still has potential for great titles"

So I need to remove the battery from my MV1-FS board, do I need to replace it with another battery, or can I just leave it off?

I only plan on using the DS Multi (and the 161 in one for now). Do I need the battery?

What exactly does the battery do?

I think it saves your bios settings, and any game's soft dip settings. Not strictly necessary.

This guy has a good tutorial though:

Last edited:
Hello,

my brain is always full of strange questions... Here the last one :)

Do think it is possible to launch a game during flashing (I mean during the copy from SD into your card).
Because I imagine (maybe wrongly) that 90% of data are not needed for the glitchy green screen, the floating neogeo logo, even the title screen of the game, etc.
So the loading can still be running and the game started, and having "insta" launch of any game.

In this case, we (you:) just have to figure what memory is needed first for each game

this was my today questionning

Thanks

Having bought a Neo Geo AES in Japan a few months ago and not really realising how expensive collecting for this system actually is, I'm very excited for this project. I passed on the NeoSD and decided to wait for this. Good luck with the release of this cartridge.
Hence why so many of us have the MVS consolized. I have the 1FS board. The case I made doesn't look fantastic but it works. Swapping games are a pain though.

Hello,

my brain is always full of strange questions... Here the last one :)

Do think it is possible to launch a game during flashing (I mean during the copy from SD into your card).
Because I imagine (maybe wrongly) that 90% of data are not needed for the glitchy green screen, the floating neogeo logo, even the title screen of the game, etc.
So the loading can still be running and the game started, and having "insta" launch of any game.

In this case, we (you:) just have to figure what memory is needed first for each game

this was my today questionning

Thanks
Well, the thing is that once the games are loaded, part is stored in the flash memories and part in the DDR RAM. When you boot up, there is an option in the menu to "reload" last loaded games. As flash content is still there it will only take a few secs to load the graphic and audio part which is the most heavy (in terms of Mb). I foresee that the waiting time will be something like 5-6 secs per game.

You can't play while it loads, as the buses are disconnected from the cart. I could do so that the program buses are connected but not the graphics, so theoretically it would boot without graphics and after some secs, you'd see everything ok. That'd look bad IMHO and could make some people believe that either the cart has glitches or the motherboard is broken.

As you see, this is much more complicated than just flashing a couple of memories and that's why this is taking longer and why it is so SPECIAL. I want you to have the best possible experience.

Technically while loading you could feed 'standard' content for the boot sequence (e.g. neo logo and tune) right?

Then you wouldn't have a garbled logo/graphics, but would be missing custom boot intros.

As you see, this is much more complicated than just flashing a couple of memories and that's why this is taking longer and why it is so SPECIAL. I want you to have the best possible experience.
Since most of the "normal" stuff you do is already special, having you say that "it is so SPECIAL" really makes me smile!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Technically while loading you could feed 'standard' content for the boot sequence (e.g. neo logo and tune) right?

Then you wouldn't have a garbled logo/graphics, but would be missing custom boot intros.
I'm afraid that's not possible. You can't read and write from the clashes at the same time. You could theoretically do it with ddr but it will both slow down and complicate the design unnecessarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back