What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
Commence selling off stuff I care about less than Darksoft Neo Multi, NOW!!! :D
-ud

Me too! I have a girlfriend and kids for sale!
34zje5k.jpg

Looking forward to this whenever it's done. Going to grab the MVS version

Darksoft, Any thoughts on making a CAVE SH3 multicart for a future project?

I asked in the reveal thread but maybe more appropriate here as it seems to have more discussions?

Is there a FAQ for noobs like me on what is needed to use this setup somewhere or maybe some links where I can look up the differences between the MVS hardware?

So this multi can interface with MVS, is it just a matter of buying an MVS board and installing the multi to this? Or are there other mods like battery changes and Bios chips that need to be done as well?

Will this multi allow you to load up lets say the entire library for Neo that is available and select it at will like the CPS2 Multi?

Is there an MVS board that is more suitable for this than others or a board that would be recommended by most as the more desirable/better one?

And lastly is there any reason this multi will not run the newer games?

Appreciate any info.

Last edited:
Yes, it plugs in just like a regular cartridge. This means directly into an AES (once that version is released) or MVS. No mod needs to be done for this cart - however, if your MVS isn't in a dedicated cabinet you will have to mod it to be "consolized" meaning working like a standard console. Don't forget, MVS was originally arcade hardware. Battery mod isn't required for this multi, though it's certainly a good idea. Bios replacement isn't required, though it brings other options to the table.

Yes you should be able to load the entire library (all of the original games from the 90s and early 00s as well as the various hacks, protos, etc), with the exception of NG:Dev Team games that are currently being produced. Will load via an on screen menu, not LCD like cps2 and f3 did.

Really any mvs board should do, though some are easier to consolize due to their form factors. The "most desired" from the perspective of someone brand new to the game starting from scratch would probably be an AES or an already consolized MVS.

And if by "Newer games" you mean the currently produced NG:Dev Team games there's several reasons. One is that they're actively contributing to the scene and DS doesn't want to do anything to make them stop doing that. Another is that their game hardware is completely different from the game hardware used in the classic/original games and so would require massive changes to the deal of the cart.

Think that should cover it, someone with more knowledge can correct me if I screwed something major up.

I asked in the reveal thread but maybe more appropriate here as it seems to have more discussions?

Is there a FAQ for noobs like me on what is needed to use this setup somewhere or maybe some links where I can look up the differences between the MVS hardware?

So this multi can interface with MVS, is it just a matter of buying an MVS board and installing the multi to this? Or are there other mods like battery changes and Bios chips that need to be done as well?

Will this multi allow you to load up lets say the entire library for Neo that is available and select it at will like the CPS2 Multi?

Is there an MVS board that is more suitable for this than others or a board that would be recommended by most as the more desirable/better one?

Appreciate any info.
There isn't a FAQ but maybe they'll write one up when it's released...

These should help with your hardware Q's. You'll need any kind of neo geo MVS and a way to connect it to power, controlls, video, and audio. A Neo or Jamma cab, or a SuperGun for example:

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Beginners_Guide_To_SNK_Neo_Geo_MVS
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/SNK_Neo_Geo_MVS

The DS Multi will just be a cartridge that you insert into your MVS, so there is no "installing" to do really. There are many useful optional mods, but they depend on the MVS unit you own. Battery replacement is a good step regardless, they leak.

The Multi has an onscreen menu to select games, not like the CPS2: Reveal Vid for Darksoft's MVS Multi Cart (subject to change)

Smokemonster has said he'll release a roll-up pack with the whole library of roms, which will absolutely not include NG:Dev.Team games (if that's what you mean by 'newer games'.) The cart will not play those (please support the community and buy them).

Yes, it plugs in just like a regular cartridge. This means directly into an AES (once that version is released) or MVS. No mod needs to be done for this cart - however, if your MVS isn't in a dedicated cabinet you will have to mod it to be "consolized" meaning working like a standard console. Don't forget, MVS was originally arcade hardware. Battery mod isn't required for this multi, though it's certainly a good idea. Bios replacement isn't required, though it brings other options to the table.

Yes you should be able to load the entire library (all of the original games from the 90s and early 00s as well as the various hacks, protos, etc), with the exception of NG:Dev Team games that are currently being produced. Will load via an on screen menu, not LCD like cps2 and f3 did.

Really any mvs board should do, though some are easier to consolize due to their form factors. The "most desired" from the perspective of someone brand new to the game starting from scratch would probably be an AES or an already consolized MVS.

And if by "Newer games" you mean the currently produced NG:Dev Team games there's several reasons. One is that they're actively contributing to the scene and DS doesn't want to do anything to make them stop doing that. Another is that their game hardware is completely different from the game hardware used in the classic/original games and so would require massive changes to the deal of the cart.

Think that should cover it, someone with more knowledge can correct me if I screwed something major up.
Thats great info there.

I will have a cab later this year so I will be going for an MVS setup and do not care for a consolized version once I do my CPS2 multi. In saying so though the option always exists so what are good boards for that?

In terms of which board I was hoping to ask as in which model to get or what are the major differences say between an MV-1FS, MV-1FZ or MV1AX ect
I guess the numbers just mean the amount of slots these have.

The newer game stuff makes sense, I didnt know if there was any limitations of those games or a simple matter of community support, but I was under the impression no more games were being made for the NEO anymore?

Appreciate any info.
There isn't a FAQ but maybe they'll write one up when it's released...
These should help with your hardware Q's. You'll need any kind of neo geo MVS and a way to connect it to power, controlls, video, and audio. A Neo or Jamma cab, or a SuperGun for example:

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Beginners_Guide_To_SNK_Neo_Geo_MVS
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/SNK_Neo_Geo_MVS

The DS Multi will just be a cartridge that you insert into your MVS, so there is no "installing" to do really. There are many useful optional mods, but they depend on the MVS unit you own. Battery replacement is a good step regardless, they leak.

The Multi has an onscreen menu to select games, not like the CPS2: Reveal Vid for Darksoft's MVS Multi Cart (subject to change)

Smokemonster has said he'll release a roll-up pack with the whole library of roms, which will absolutely not include NG:Dev.Team games (if that's what you mean by 'newer games'.) The cart will not play those (please support the community and buy them).
Thanks for your quality information in this post as well and those links are very helpful. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Thats great info there.
I will have a cab later this year so I will be going for an MVS setup and do not care for a consolized version once I do my CPS2 multi. In saying so though the option always exists so what are good boards for that?

In terms of which board I was hoping to ask as in which model to get or what are the major differences say between an MV-1FS, MV-1FZ or MV1AX ect
I guess the numbers just mean the amount of slots these have.

The newer game stuff makes sense, I didnt know if there was any limitations of those games or a simple matter of community support, but I was under the impression no more games were being made for the NEO anymore?
The number of slots is right in the board version name (1, 2, 4, 6). The letters are revisions, nothing too major. If you're really curious, go to archive.org and look up the old HardMVS site, they had a cheat sheet of differences - but beggars can't be choosers, for the most part you're going to have one cabinet available to you at a time. MVS pinout isn't the same as Jamma, though it's close. You'll need an adapter to run the motherboard in the same cabinet you do for the cps2.

SNK isn't making new games, but there's a third party developer called NG:Dev Team that has put out a few recent games. A couple others too, but they're the biggest one.

Besides NG Dev team another modern Neo Geo home brewer of note is NeoBitz - they've only released on game so far, but Knight's Chance is excellent! It won't work on the DS Multi either though due to custom cart hardware.

One Neo Geo MVS board works as well as another for the most part. It doesn't make any sense to buy a board with more than one slot if you're just going to use the DS Multi for everything. IMHO the best 1 slot models are the MV-1C and MV-1FZ. Both boards are compact, inexpensive and reliable once you replace the factory on-board battery. You can also dress them up to look really nice with some plexiglass from Lions3!
http://lions3.com/product-category/arcade-related/lasercut-acrylic/

Yes, we found a type of board that didnt boot with Unibios. I'm also fixing some small bugs. That should be pretty much it.
Will having a Unibios installed be mandatory?
No. So far it works much better without a Unibios. It's something we are working on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back