What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read through this entire thread the other night, and I may have missed it, but was a ballpark figure ever mentioned on what this may cost? I was thinking of just saving up around $500.00 and crossing fingers.
It heavily depends on the final design. I can go for a simple desing like CPS2 Multi or STV where you can have only one game at a time. That's the simplest and will cost about $350.
I can go also for a more complicated desing with FPGA+DIMMs so you can load many more games and it will be around $400+

I'm running tests right now....

I'd much rather have something like a SD card solution and pay more up front.
But that is just me.

I read through this entire thread the other night, and I may have missed it, but was a ballpark figure ever mentioned on what this may cost? I was thinking of just saving up around $500.00 and crossing fingers.
It heavily depends on the final design. I can go for a simple desing like CPS2 Multi or STV where you can have only one game at a time. That's the simplest and will cost about $350.I can go also for a more complicated desing with FPGA+DIMMs so you can load many more games and it will be around $400+

I'm running tests right now....
As long the first game is instant loadable, I am fine either way :D

But that is just me.
both will be microSD based, in one you load into flash and in the other you load to DIMMs RAM.
Darksoft,

I used to write lots of VHDL back about 10 years ago. Lots and lots of FSM style code. My code was RIT and ASICS produced and probably still in use today :)
It has been awhile, but if you need a second set of eyes....

But that is just me.
both will be microSD based, in one you load into flash and in the other you load to DIMMs RAM.
Darksoft,
I used to write lots of VHDL back about 10 years ago. Lots and lots of FSM style code. My code was RIT and ASICS produced and probably still in use today :)
It has been awhile, but if you need a second set of eyes....
Thanks for offer. I'll remember that. For now it's just a thing of cost/performance analysis...

It heavily depends on the final design. I can go for a simple desing like CPS2 Multi or STV where you can have only one game at a time. That's the simplest and will cost about $350.I can go also for a more complicated desing with FPGA+DIMMs so you can load many more games and it will be around $400+I'm running tests right now....
I would prefer the SD card version for what it's worth, but only if it works comparable to the non-SD card counterpart.

Maybe it's just me, but I find SD cards hard to work with. I have issues getting my PC to recognize them, after trying many different USB card readers. So I feel much better just getting all the ROMS on there at once, and being done with it.

Either version, or a choice would be amazing though.

I'm not sure what non-SD version you were talking about Greedostick. DS said they'll both be mSD based.
Maybe it's just me, but I find SD cards hard to work with. I have issues getting my PC to recognize them, after trying many different USB card readers. So I feel much better just getting all the ROMS on there at once, and being done with it.
Using the official SD tool for formatting makes a world of difference. As does not buying knock-off SD cards (they can look identical to the real thing). Buy from somewhere reputable (think Best Buy, Wal-Mart), not Amazon sellers or eBay.

I meant to say non-DIMM based.

I normally get my SD's from Microcenter, and get name brands. I will try the software you suggested. I think my issue is I am unable to find a good reader. They all seem to be so cheaply made.

I can go also for a more complicated desing with FPGA+DIMMs so you can load many more games and it will be around $400+
I'd prefer a multi-game version. But honestly I'll buy whatever the finished project happens to be :).

Will either solution be like the CPS2 kit and require a donor cart?

I'd prefer a multi-game version. But honestly I'll buy whatever the finished project happens to be :).Will either solution be like the CPS2 kit and require a donor cart?
That would be good to know, even if I just need to sac a boot to get a shell. That way I can acquire one now. Might need to know the details of the final product first though.

I'd prefer a multi-game version. But honestly I'll buy whatever the finished project happens to be :).
Will either solution be like the CPS2 kit and require a donor cart?
No way! No donor cart. This will be like STV. An independent cartridge. That's it.
If I can outsource from China some MVS cases (used) so instead of shipping 2 bare PCBs, I ship a cartridge ready to plug....

OK Guys, so research time is over. TIME FOR SOME FEEDBACK.

1) FPGA option will cost below $400. It will come with already soldered DDR memories and will have a mobile phone battery inside that can hold whatever is in memory for 2 days. It can hold up to 4 games simultaneously. Loading time per game is about 10 seconds.

2)Traditional option will cost about $350 and will be as usual holding just one game in the flashes. Loading time per game is 35 seconds.

There will be 2 versions one for MVS and one for AES. For MVS I can outsource cases, but for AES, I'm still looking for them, but the idea is the same, to deliver it with case ready to go.
Which one do you prefer?

Please click here and let me know your choice: Which Option Do You Prefer For Darksoft's Neo-Geo Multigame Cartridge?

For sure option 2 as option 1 introduces a hassle of charging the battery.

You can buy new repro shells from china ( for MVS and AES ). Just message one of the sellers on alibaba or aliexpress who sell the bootleg games and tell them your just interested in the shells. There is a guy who has been selling some on ebay off and on that are black and pretty good quality.

Just avoid the clear cases from the multigame carts as those are crappy.

Option 2 for me and I'd rater supply my own MVS shell to save a few more $$
Looking forward to this, any discount for 5? ;)

Before I vote, will the battery version have an on board battery holder? Or soldered in?

By phone battery do you mean the rectangular ones that plug in with a mini molex?

Before I vote, will the battery version have an on board battery holder? Or soldered in?

By phone battery do you mean the rectangular ones that plug in with a mini molex?
Also curious how the battery will be connected and how it'll be charged before voting.

Will buy anything. just give note if its best to look already for cases mSelf bevore prices go up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back