What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about hold P1 start for 5 seconds? Thats what the multis do to reset to pick another game and it doesn't interfere with games. Simple solution.
Some 2in1 Jamma switchers like Mike's Double JAMMA adapter don't recognize holding P1 Start due to them being mapped to swap between boards by holding P1 Start+P2 Start. The way to get around this limitation is to just wire an extra start button/switch close to the MVS board.

Last edited:
Yeah add solder pads to the PCB for an external momentary switch if required or not... cheap =]
For MVS probably makes sense as most Arcade users have some sort of soldering skills, but for AES not a chance....

AS aI said, I'm still checking the possitibilites before moving forward.

I vote for hardware reset button to bring up the menu.

Software would require roms modifying.

And I don't think those should be allowed to be run as coin operated games...

Man, I cant wait to get this. DS & Mitsu are the absolute authority on multi anything, lol. Seriously, best quality multi kit producers.

f26.jpg

While I do have soldering skills, I play neo games mainly on an omega, and I think having to wire up a switch to the cart to switch games is pretty tacky. My vote is going to be software option, maybe have both options available?

My suggestion for a multicart might be bias towards mvs because I do not have an aes, but it would be as follows:
  • Allow updating of files via sd card or usb
  • Allow sufficient storage for whole neo geo library
  • Usage of a front end gui to pick game
  • Front end uses XML or CSV file for rom data such as rom filename, full name, category, etc.
  • Front end only shows games who's rom files present on storage
  • Front end has some sort of screen saver to eliminate burn in if the user walks away
  • Allow use of holding down game select button to return to front end
Essentially, the user should only have to worry about adding rom files of their choice. Everything else should already be on the cart and ready to go. It's not like the neo geo has a huge library or anything.

Hey DS, I know you are still in the planning stages of this, do you think you will make the multi board install/fit inside a standard cart shell?

Last edited:
Hey DS, I know you are still in the planning stages of this, do you think you will make the multi board install/fit inside a standard cart shell?
Yes that's the plan. For AES I wasn't able to get a source for cheap sources. Someone knows any?

Just a really quick mockup:

menu.gif
That would make sense. Would also be good solution for MVS. Then if someone plugs this in a multi slot MVS Mobo, you can select between cartridges with your normal change game button and then you can choose games from that cartridge with the menu...

I quite like the menu mockup. And to be honest, if the flashing is fast, I would prefer a single game flash over an emulated 4-slot thing, for simplicity/possible cost savings. I don't think the benefit is worth added complexity.

Love how this project is moving forward... basically, I can't wait to get a hold of it :D

As an AES and MVS user though, I would extremely value the option of being able to use the cart on both systems, even if it's by using a complimentary adapter instead of another cart (maybe sell a basci MVS kit + an extra piece of HW to be able to use it on AES? Not idea if this is possible at all, just thinking ;) ).

Being able to play NCD games, as suggested, would be a nice plus, but with the few exclusives there are on the system I don't think it's even worth the effort...

How about savestates? Is that a remotely possible thing? (Here asking in all ignorance).

In any case, as a user and fan of Darksoft's CPS3, CPS2 and STV kits, I'm just glad this is moving forward in any form. I'm sure the result will be great again.

Cheers and ánimos con el proyecto!

Can't wait to see this one! :D

How did you figure out how the pcm2 and cmc even works? What logic are they build upon inside the customs?

Last edited:
Just signed up to follow this. I am pretty excited for this project. This is something that has been needed for a very long time. I'm glad you all are taking the time to create a quality project, that will make so many people happy, and hopefully keep them from going bankrupt buying overpriced, price-gouged, AES carts. You're feeding children here, no doubt.

I would also like to add, I don't care about all the extras that could be worked into the project. All I care about is...

1. This thing works near flawless
2. There is some sort of basic navigation system, which it looks like there is.

Make it work as close to 100% compatible with official SNK releases, then worry about all the other crap. Working, will be the best feature, the GUI, then storage capacity.

Last edited:
OK, so I came up with a feature I'd like. It's a bit out there though, not something I "need", more of a "if I could wish for anything". It'd just be cool, and I think it would broaden the audience for the multi-cart as well.Basically, this idea stems from the fact that I have too many games. Steam-sales, Arcade-collecting, MAME, multi-carts... hell, even back in school, I'd hook two tape-decks together, copy a school-friend's C64-tape, then eagerly check which ones worked... and then never play them again. When I bought a game however, I fuckin' mastered that thing, regardless of quality. I sometimes try to limit myself when I get a multi-cart (hey, I even bought DarkSoft's ST-V Multi without the game-changing extension, just so it would be hard for me to flit from game to game, never alighting on one properly), but it never quite works. Don't get me wrong, I love having those games, but unless a friend comes over and asks to play a specific game... Well. So anyway, here is what I want as an extra on this Multicart (hell, all Multicarts should have this):A cart-specific rom that sets you a task at every single game - and makes you complete one game's challenge before the next one is available.OK, so this is how this would work: The multi-cart obviously contains all the games, and they're all available to play; BUT there is an extra Game, called eg "Darksofts Neo-Geo Challenge". When you start that up, it loads up Metal Slug. You can only play Metal Slug on this Rom. But once you beat that game's challenge (say, make it to level 5 on one credit, or level three without dying, or whatever), the Rom will then serve you up Samurai Shodown II - which you can only beat by getting a perfect. Which then leads to Blazing Star, which you have to complete on 2 continues... etc etc all the way through every single game.The challenges should be just that; challenges. Not ultra hard-core practice-for-ten-weeks hard, just so you could do it after an evening or two with the game - but enough that you'd have to get to know the game.Everyone who gets the cart will be drawn to this ROM. Beating it will give bragging rights (perhaps even a code at the end that you can enter here to prove you did it), pride and a sense of fulfilment - but it will also mean you will be a true NEO-GEO master, able to talk about ALL those games with expertise. You'll also find your favourites, because you'll have given equal time to both KoF98 and Garou: Mark Of The Wolves, and know why you prefer the latter.It'll also make this multicart more unique, more desirable, more collectible, since not just completists will want it - any Neo-geo gamer will need to prove they can beat those challenges, and how fast they can do it.So anyway, that's my two cents. No idea how hard that is to program (I certainly wouldn't know where to start), but I think it would be a very cool feature.tl;dr: This idiot Urabutbl wants us to make a bespoke ROM that gives the player a challenge to complete for every single game on the multi-cart.
On Neo Geoz that's called "The Olde 1CC"

I havent been this excited about something in a long time. I love the mock-up! I wanted to say that my vote is toward reasonable cost saving measures on the initial version of the project. If the emulated 4 slot display thing is too complicated than we dont need it. I have mvs and aes and I would buy them both if needed! Functionality and compatibility are the most important things to me. We have gone long enough without reasonable cost efficient and diverse software effective measures to play all of out favorite games. Mvs multi carts have been good but you are on your way to something much better.

After reading this thread, and considering all the options, I decided that the most important for me is 100% accuracy and functionality. I do not care that it saves games (Neo-Geo has memory card after all) or that it has very fancy menu (black background with white font is more than enough for me) or cheat support (unibios) or multi-slot emulation or other fancy features, however if they are there, good. All I care for is a multicart that allows me to get the roms of my favorite games, copy them to an SD card and play them ALL (from NAM75 to Samurai Shodown V Special) exactly the same as if the original cart was inserted. No support for NGDev games or other recent games is OK for me. I am sure that Darksoft/Mitsu are capable of doing it, after playing with my CPS2 multikit and for sure will get at least and MVS one when available.

Second to accuracy and 100% games support, would be price. It would not be nice if the cart was perfect but it costed more than English Metal Slug AES, LOL.

I read through this entire thread the other night, and I may have missed it, but was a ballpark figure ever mentioned on what this may cost? I was thinking of just saving up around $500.00 and crossing fingers.

<p>
</p>
I read through this entire thread the other night, and I may have missed it, but was a ballpark figure ever mentioned on what this may cost? I was thinking of just saving up around $500.00 and crossing fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back