What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few questions.

What will be the maximum supported size of the SD card ?
How many games can there be on the SD card given enough size ?
What is the process to change games other then the 4 loaded into RAM in the RAM version ?

And comment on the RAM version:
Why would you load 4 games on startup taking 40 seconds when the change you play all 4 of them in a row is slim and if needs be changing takes only 10 seconds.
So if you would play 2 games in a row you still win 20 seconds, thats a whopping 50% peeps ;)

Why would you load 4 games on startup taking 40 seconds when the change you play all 4 of them in a row is slim and if needs be changing takes only 10 seconds.

So if you would play 2 games in a row you still win 20 seconds, thats a whopping 50% peeps ;)
I think a lot of people want to be able to simulate a 4-slot even if they don't own one.

I think a lot of people want to be able to simulate a 4-slot even if they don't own one.
Well, isn't the point of the NeoGeo multigame cart to simulate atleast a 161-slot ?

Hi guys.

I joined the forum just for this thread and for the updates. This is a very exciting project. Take my money! Thanks Darksoft and keep up the great work!

I don't really understand why it has to include support for 4 games in the cart ?

In order to do the cycling you will have to patch in support for extra buttons and whatnot in the game.

I would like to know the price of a cart which loads 1 game from the SD card into RAM, according to logic it should use 1/4th of the RAM and thus be cheaper.

In order to do the cycling you will have to patch in support for extra buttons and whatnot in the game.
There is more than one way to skin a cat. Just because the Chinese did stuff one way doesn't mean we have to do it that way.

The whole reason we thought to do a four game type of thing is to emulate the multi-slot cabinets which was the single coolest thing that separated Neo cabinets from other arcade games when they first came out. I have a 6-slot cabinet and sometimes I like to just turn it on and cycle through all of the games installed to watch the individual mini marquees light up as I hit the game select button. :)

Plus we want this cart to be different than the current multis in more than just game availability.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. Just because the Chinese did stuff one way doesn't mean we have to do it that way.
The whole reason we thought to do a four game type of thing is to emulate the multi-slot cabinets which was the single coolest thing that separated Neo cabinets from other arcade games when they first came out. I have a 6-slot cabinet and sometimes I like to just turn it on and cycle through all of the games installed to watch the individual mini marquees light up as I hit the game select button. :)

Plus we want this cart to be different than the current multis in more than just game availability.
Agree with Mitsu. In the worst case if I see that I can't call up the menu without having to patch the roms, I may change the design not make it FPGA+RAM but only one game. That however looks like taking out part of the magic of this....

Agree with Mitsu. In the worst case if I see that I can't call up the menu without having to patch the roms, I may change the design not make it FPGA+RAM but only one game. That however looks like taking out part of the magic of this....
Don't worry about the magic, if you create a cart which will be able to load any of the MVS titles without any flaws there will be magic enough :D

Remember:

“Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication.”

-Leonardo da Vinci

All I need for MVS is a button on the cartridge I can press to get the menu. Optionally solder points should be available too, to put a button in the cab.

For AES, just show up the menu after each turn on/reset. The AES has a nice and big reset button...

Hi guys.

I joined the forum just for this thread and for the updates. This is a very exciting project. Take my money! Thanks Darksoft and keep up the great work!
That's cool but make sure you vote for option 1! ;)

What is the process to change games other then the 4 loaded into RAM in the RAM version ?

I don't think the SD card size matters. See, even a 4GB one can hold the complete Neo library with no problems.

I plan to support most kind of microSD including microSDXC, that should give you lots of Gigs of space.

The plan is that the whole library can be run, so that's the minimum size of the card.

The process to change games is still being discussed, for MVS it can be a combination of keys or just an extra cable (although I don't like that option). For AES it should definitely be done using the big RESET Button.

Maybe I use the reset line also for MVS......hmmmm

Darksoft, lets say we go with the FPGA option. How would one be able to set the softdips per game?

Darksoft, lets say we go with the FPGA option. How would one be able to set the softdips per game?
Not sure yet. What do you propose?
Maybe a file on the SD card is created for each game that saves settings? Maybe even scores? On load it can insert the settings from the file. Maybe that's possible?

Thanks for your answers Pablo !

Someone opted a pin header to attach a cable too when they have the MVS motherboard stored inside the cab.
Maybe that same pin header could be used to add a simple button that would get you in the menu to choose another game to load for those that have the MVS motherboard within easy reach ?
The button should come with the cart and maybe 2 extra connectors too so those that want to extend the reach can just take some cables at their desired length to attach it to the 2 extra connectors and plug that between the pin header on the cart and the button.
That way there won't be a special key combination needed and for the AES version the same circuit can be used for the reset button I suppose.

I'm still thinking about the different versions, voted for option 2.
I might change it to 1 but I still fail to see the added benefit of having 4 games loaded at start when it only takes 10 seconds to load up another one.
The only thing I can think of is for those that have a NeoGeo cab with the 4 marquees and have them highlighted according to the active game but doesn't that need extra cables and a connector to plug into the MVS multislot motherboard ?
Maybe someone can convince me why this would be a good idea ?

Thanks for your answers Pablo !

Someone opted a pin header to attach a cable too when they have the MVS motherboard stored inside the cab.
Maybe that same pin header could be used to add a simple button that would get you in the menu to choose another game to load for those that have the MVS motherboard within easy reach ?
The button should come with the cart and maybe 2 extra connectors too so those that want to extend the reach can just take some cables at their desired length to attach it to the 2 extra connectors and plug that between the pin header on the cart and the button.
That way there won't be a special key combination needed and for the AES version the same circuit can be used for the reset button I suppose.

I'm still thinking about the different versions, voted for option 2.
I might change it to 1 but I still fail to see the added benefit of having 4 games loaded at start when it only takes 10 seconds to load up another one.
The only thing I can think of is for those that have a NeoGeo cab with the 4 marquees and have them highlighted according to the active game but doesn't that need extra cables and a connector to plug into the MVS multislot motherboard ?
Maybe someone can convince me why this would be a good idea ?
I like the button idea. Maybe MVS can come with a pin header for the button and AES can use the RESET button....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back