What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, sounds good now!
Will the card be compatible with linkable games (League Bowling...) ?
it will work like the original, so if the original linkw without any additional hardware then yes.
Original card has 2 jack plugs to connect with other cards. I've already linked some League Bowling.

You can see PCB and informations there :
http://mvs.gotwalls.com/index.php/League_Bowling
http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68854&title=league-bowling-mvs-cart-repair
http://www.gamoover.net/Forums/index.php?topic=26649.0

There's a SN75176 chip and perhaps some other components.

Last edited:
What is important for the network function is the Hitachi (HD6301V1) MCU.

That does the networking stuff.

So certainly it won't work as the flash cart won't have that chip...

DarkSoft said:
it will work like the original, so if the original linkw without any additional hardware then yes.

What is important for the network function is the Hitachi (HD6301V1) MCU.

That does the networking stuff.

So certainly it won't work as the flash cart won't have that chip...

DarkSoft said:
That thing has 4Kb of ROM. I guess I could sniff the communication and reconstruct the communication protocol, although I'd prefer to have the real code :) There is a prototype dump in MAME.

In any case, I believe I already have a lot of work on my table to focus on that. I think I'll let it go....

However, something that I like is the option for savegames that one member suggested....

That thing has 4Kb of ROM. I guess I could sniff the communication and reconstruct the communication protocol, although I'd prefer to have the real code :) There is a prototype dump in MAME.
In any case, I believe I already have a lot of work on my table to focus on that. I think I'll let it go....
Can you just add a expansion port to your PCB, so later we can build a small additionnal PCB to enable linked game ?

Why not use the Neo Geo's memory card?
Because the NeoGeo memory card only can save one game for title.

Do several "savegames" for a same title can be a good idea.
Some games actually allowed multiple save slots for different saves ( Savage Reign, Crossed Swords ), but most did not support this. On top of that, later Neo Geo games got lazy with thinking about the save feature (since almost no one used it). As a result, for example, KOF 2000 and 20001 use the exact same save position on the card and either game's save will overwrite the other *smh*

Why not use the Neo Geo's memory card?
Because the NeoGeo memory card only can save one game for title.

Do several "savegames" for a same title can be a good idea.
Some games actually allowed multiple save slots for different saves ( Savage Reign, Crossed Swords ), but most did not support this. On top of that, later Neo Geo games got lazy with thinking about the save feature (since almost no one used it). As a result, for example, KOF 2000 and 20001 use the exact same save position on the card and either game's save will overwrite the other *smh*
Yes, I know.

I meant to take snapshot image of a running game, similar to a save game of a emulator, perhaps it could be done by adding memory for this in to the circuit.

Hello Gentlemen i am happy to say that am the proud new owner of a Neo Geo AES. i love this system just wish i had more games to rock out with which leads me to my next question when and where can i buy this when it becomes available ? i really would love to own one awesome you are doing GODS work might i add.

I won't say another word about it but i will think of it and all the gaming glory

Well, now that you ask .... I have had to put a lot of time on analyzing the synchronization with DDR+FPGA and the bus of the NEOGEO which has delayed the project a bit. How much...don't know yet.

I'm exploring all the options with FPGA+DDR to make it a perfect match to original carts, but if I see that something is not right, I may need to switch to Flash ROMS. The only problem here is timing. We have 5 buses running all the time an even if we put more DDRs it won't speed it up it's a problem of DDR not answering in *some* specific cases fast enough. If I see that the result is not OPTIMAL, as I said...will cancel and switch to flash roms. Good news is that schematics are drawn out and the rest is pretty much the same....

I'll keep you guys updated and no worries. This is going to happen....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back