What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
I crumbled and purchased a NeoSD. As promising as this Darksoft cartridge is, there were a few factors that led me to my decision:

1) The wait. I've struggled with being patient knowing there was an alternative already on the market, and as Darksoft's cart isn't even with Beta testers yet, the time to production and ultimate delivery to me is potentially months (as far as I see it).
2) After reading some frank reviews from people I trust from other forums (not neo-geo.com, that place is a kindergarten full of obnoxious, adolescent and juvenile behaviour) I find that the NeoSD is a solid product that works well and is supported. It does everything I need right out of the box and isn't lacking anything.
3) I don't like the teasing of new features, it's actually a turn off. I'd rather have the product in my hands now and have the new features promised for the future.
4) The purported load time is nice, but at the moment, that appears to be the only real advantage of one over the other. There may be fundamental differences in the approach of NeoSD that means it never gets quicker - but to be honest, being able to have 150 or so games on my NeoGeo now with a wait of a few minutes (or whatever) to flash them is better than the 3 carts I actually own and literally thousands of euros to buy the ones I really want to own. That itch is now scratched. I'm afraid I couldn't wait any longer :( .

I really do wish you well Darksoft, I hope your product releases successfully and is met with universal applause and admiration, I'll be interested in the technical developments and to see what better features you offer.

Hopefully I'll be regretting my impulsiveness! I will still check in here to follow the developments.

All the best and good luck with the launch!
Mark.

Hopefully I'll be regretting my impulsiveness!
latest

Congrats Mark!

You are now BANNED!

:D

All I can say is start saving your pennies again because once the DS multi comes out you will probably want one.

But I bet Darksoft is not mad. To each his own, and you're right, having all of the games at once is a great thing for sure.

Just don't be shocked if you find yourself owing DS's multi somewhere down the line...

8o

As I tried to indicate - I wish no-one any ill feelings.

I think Darksoft's cart will be great, and a huge success. It's just that I can't wait...

I'm sure this forum is grown up enough to not arbitrarily ban me (I was only here to express my interest in the DS cart anyway). But if that does happen, then So long everyone, I hope you all have great fun with the DS cart, I honestly do.

As you say, there is always the option to buy a DS cart later, I can always sell the NeoSD, but in the meantime, I'll finally get to play some great games on real hardware (not emulated) that I would never have realistically been able to afford to own.

You won't find me on neo-geo.com ('tis a silly place), but I do participate in Assembler Games, YakYak and AtariAge in the event I get banned and anyone wants to talk.

Thanks,
Mark.

personally i like the teasing, i like to know what's going on, what's the current status, the roadmap, the vision, the failures...

What I don't like is to wait 27 years without hearing anything and then all of sudden someone opens a website and sells a finished solution in take-it-or-leave-it style.

These are forums, in forums we like to discuss things even before they are real, and even if they are never realized :)

I know of no man that doesn't like being teased. I can't remember the last time I got drunk in Las Vegas with a group of buddies and someone came up with the idea to head off to the Rhino and one of us said, "My wife gave me a hall pass, but I am going to sit this one out. I don't like to be teased." :)

To each his own bud. No worries. It is good to have choice. But do us a favor. I am a particularly interested in the support you will get for your product. Wondering how those guys handle their customers. Please report back. And enjoy those games!

@Mqarkcambie No need to worry about getting banned or anything like that, this is not "that" type of place like that other site.

The way I see it, it's your money and you can do what you wish with it. If buying the neosd is the right choice for you at this time that is your business. I am sure others on here have bought the neosd as well and I am sure there will be many comparisons made when Darksoft's multi cart gets released.

As for myself, I admit that I am a fan of Darksoft's projects for many obvious reasons. The CPS2 multi, the personal level of support and attention that Darksoft & Mitsurugi put behind their products, the people on this site are the key reasons why I got into this hobby in the first place. Well, all that and my love of video games :D . While I am not blind to other projects, I will continue to back and support Darksoft's projects; he is not one of these groups that release a product, make some quick cash and then disappear, leaving a userbase stranded. Not that this is the case with the NeoSD team, may they prosper and develop further products, I guess time will tell.

So go forth and game on my friend, definitely report back on your experiences with the NeoSD.

@Darksoft BTW - I am ready to purchase 2x MVS & 1x AES multi carts, so please take my $$.
PS-I think Mr. Franklin is peeking at you :D
IMG_5942.JPG

I crumbled and purchased a NeoSD. As promising as this Darksoft cartridge is, there were a few factors that led me to my decision:

1) The wait. I've struggled with being patient knowing there was an alternative already on the market, and as Darksoft's cart isn't even with Beta testers yet, the time to production and ultimate delivery to me is potentially months (as far as I see it).
2) After reading some frank reviews from people I trust from other forums (not neo-geo.com, that place is a kindergarten full of obnoxious, adolescent and juvenile behaviour) I find that the NeoSD is a solid product that works well and is supported. It does everything I need right out of the box and isn't lacking anything.
3) I don't like the teasing of new features, it's actually a turn off. I'd rather have the product in my hands now and have the new features promised for the future.
4) The purported load time is nice, but at the moment, that appears to be the only real advantage of one over the other. There may be fundamental differences in the approach of NeoSD that means it never gets quicker - but to be honest, being able to have 150 or so games on my NeoGeo now with a wait of a few minutes (or whatever) to flash them is better than the 3 carts I actually own and literally thousands of euros to buy the ones I really want to own. That itch is now scratched. I'm afraid I couldn't wait any longer :( .

I really do wish you well Darksoft, I hope your product releases successfully and is met with universal applause and admiration, I'll be interested in the technical developments and to see what better features you offer.

Hopefully I'll be regretting my impulsiveness! I will still check in here to follow the developments.

All the best and good luck with the launch!
Mark.
Thanks for being so honest, but what kind of answer do you expect?

You obviously missed the message where Mitsurugi posted that the final prototype is on his way and he will be shooting a video comparing it with NeoSD. Also the cart has some extra features like multi slot which will allow to load up to 4 games at the same time and is preparred from scratch to add many more features. With a flash cart, you don't have that.

I haven't been showing more videos because I'm sure that the competition is waiting to attack every single mistake that our cart may have yet unfixed in order to scare people on their favour. So much for a cartridge they've been keeping secretly and they've done it for themselves! :D :D :D

Their cart is very well protected unlike *probably* my cart as I've always released the firmware for all my carts in an unprotected way.

Well, difference here is that I'm sharing my advances and thoughts and intentions with the community, maybe I'm wrong, but that's the way I prefer to do it.

Bottom line is: Yes I think you're being impulsive :whistling:

I know of no man that doesn't like being teased. I can't remember the last time I got drunk in Las Vegas with a group of buddies and someone came up with the idea to head off to the Rhino and one of us said, "My wife gave me a hall pass, but I am going to sit this one out. I don't like to be teased." :)
I saw that movie!

:D

And no, Darksoft, you are not wrong for doing it that way. How cool would it be if the whole arcade collecting community felt the same way...

Bottom line is: Yes I think you're being impulsive
:) Yes - I've always been an early adopter, which is why I was so excited when your project was announced first.
As soon as possible I added myself to the interested list, and I was very keen to buy your cart.

Don't think (and I'm sure you're not worried) that my decision is due to any fear or concern that your cart wouldn't be amazing. I'm really very sure it will be great.
It's purely that I can't wait any more.

Best of luck with your cart my friend. I'm still going to hang around here because I love technology and I'm very interested to see what you produce.

Thanks for being so honest, but what kind of answer do you expect?
Bottom line is: Yes I think you're being impulsive :whistling:
I don't have a good English level to make this kind of answer (without being/feeling agressive)
But this is what exactly I wanted to say :D

i never understood lobbies and silos.. Sega vs. Nintendo, Sony vs. Microsoft, iOS vs. Android...

I get just everything :))

I only own three MVS, one AES and around 50 carts, historically I never payed much attention to the system. I was "too old" when it came to the market, and i never was much of a fan of fighters other than Yie-Ar-Kung-Fu..

So in this case I will just get one multi :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back