What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crappier Chinese knockoff in 3..2..1...
Funny how not allowing pcb manufacture or assembly in asia has helped us avoid this problem so far. It is more expensive but the quality is better also. I've had up to a 25% failure rate with a certain place that did the full assembly on one small project for us.Not sure where they have the NeoSD manufactured but the build quality itself doesn't scream Chinese.
Based off of the things their team has posted in the past, manufacture of the boards and cart shells are done somewhere in Europe.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the cart shells. The issue is the use of power tools, instead of hand tightening the screws. I have seen the same dimples on N64 consoles, when the case is over tightened.If I was assembling the cartridge and notice the damage, I would ask my customers to wait an extra week while assembling them by hand. They preferred shipping bad quality fast, rather than manage expectations.
This is something that can be readily fixed. If I remember correctly when I was in Japan I saw the originals being assembled mechanically.
Original AES Carts have no screws, the have internal clips.
I was referring to MVS. I know the video had AES in it. Right after I typed it I cringed. Gotta stop doing this when I'm not getting sleep.

Cmon Mitsurgi, can show the multi working with a vid from your bed if not well enough to do a proper review, DS could be the new Lemsip ;)

Mitsurugi has some issue with his cart, so I may end up having to send him another prototype.

About the features, I prefer to show in video, real, without ambiguity, but here goes some specifications ALREADY WORKING.

*Multi Slot cart. Longest game takes 18 secs to load COMPLETELY.
*Menu has an option to choose to boot without the menu. In that case, those games that were previously loaded are already partially loaded in the flashes, we only load the DDR content which is VERY FAST. That's one of the goals of the video, to show the whole process.
*Nice Menu that you have already seen in previous posts.
*Pressing a key combination you can call back the menu again or change slot to next game.
*Works with any BIOS even Bootleg :)
*All CRC Checks passed. No game code changed, all protections emulated at FPGA level.

In work:
Fixing some glitches.
Implementing a routine to show the % loaded in each game slot.
Adding new snapshots in the menu.
Improving menu usability.
Using EEPROM to save configurations and other items.
Test, test, test.

Is it possible to change region and switch AES/MVS mode without the bootleg BIOS?

Good thing the AES version isn't ready yet. Just blew the $400 allotted for it on a Nintendo Switch and the new Zelda. WORTH IT.
I have roughly $700 sitting in my PayPal account, which isn't going to be enough to buy an AES flash cart and Nintendo Switch. I'm probably better off waiting for the Switch to lower in price or appear on the second hand market.

Just to be clear the proto cart was fine.....before I touched it. Yes, somehow I fucked up the proto when updating the software and now the cart no longer communicates with the debugging tools. I'm pretty sure that I bricked it while using the debug tools and communicating with my PC.... I feel like an idiot. A new cart with all updates loaded is on the way to me now... Then we have fun.

Sorry for the delay. It's my fault.

What sucks is that since I got my cart, Darksoft has been on a tear fixing things and adding functionality. And I can't play with it!!! My bad.

Fast load alone is worth it to me. The rest is gravy.
Crappier Chinese knockoff in 3..2..1...
Funny how not allowing pcb manufacture or assembly in asia has helped us avoid this problem so far. It is more expensive but the quality is better also. I've had up to a 25% failure rate with a certain place that did the full assembly on one small project for us.Not sure where they have the NeoSD manufactured but the build quality itself doesn't scream Chinese.
Based off of the things their team has posted in the past, manufacture of the boards and cart shells are done somewhere in Europe.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the cart shells. The issue is the use of power tools, instead of hand tightening the screws. I have seen the same dimples on N64 consoles, when the case is over tightened.If I was assembling the cartridge and notice the damage, I would ask my customers to wait an extra week while assembling them by hand. They preferred shipping bad quality fast, rather than manage expectations.
This is something that can be readily fixed. If I remember correctly when I was in Japan I saw the originals being assembled mechanically.
Original AES Carts have no screws, the have internal clips.
I was referring to MVS. I know the video had AES in it. Right after I typed it I cringed. Gotta stop doing this when I'm not getting sleep.

Mitsurugi has some issue with his cart, so I may end up having to send him another prototype.

About the features, I prefer to show in video, real, without ambiguity, but here goes some specifications ALREADY WORKING.

*Multi Slot cart. Longest game takes 18 secs to load COMPLETELY.
*Menu has an option to choose to boot without the menu. In that case, those games that were previously loaded are already partially loaded in the flashes, we only load the DDR content which is VERY FAST. That's one of the goals of the video, to show the whole process.
*Nice Menu that you have already seen in previous posts.
*Pressing a key combination you can call back the menu again or change slot to next game.
*Works with any BIOS even Bootleg :)
*All CRC Checks passed. No game code changed, all protections emulated at FPGA level.

In work:
Fixing some glitches.
Implementing a routine to show the % loaded in each game slot.
Adding new snapshots in the menu.
Improving menu usability.
Using EEPROM to save configurations and other items.
Test, test, test.

At the moment, all the features can be implemented, but that's not the goal of the cartridge. Why am I going to add 2000+cheat database to the cart when people can have it with a bootleg BIOS? We will include those that we thing are crutial or can be done better.

If the multi uses a variant of the STM32 hardware it cannot be bricked because it has a hardware bootloader ?

All you would need for recovery is a ST-Link/V2 ?

i think the cheats database is the least interesting feature of the bootleg bios, the ability to change region and the ability to switch to MVS/AES mode is the most interesting feature IMHO.

If the multi uses a variant of the STM32 hardware it cannot be bricked because it has a hardware bootloader ?

Maybe bricked as the wrong word. Regardless I did something to it and it would not communicate with any of my PCs to restore it. I couldn't figure it out so back to Darksoft it goes. I'm sure he'll fix it in like 5 minutes and make me look like an idiot.

It uses the same tools we used for the CPS2 proto but I just can't figure out why it won't work.

Maybe bricked as the wrong word. Regardless I did something to it and it would not communicate with any of my PCs to restore it. I couldn't figure it out so back.
Thanks for the info @'Mitsurugi-w, hope you get the replacement soon!

At the moment, all the features can be implemented, but that's not the goal of the cartridge. Why am I going to add 2000+cheat database to the cart when people can have it with a bootleg BIOS? We will include those that we thing are crutial or can be done better.
That's pretty impressive imo ... didn't thought something like that was possible for a cartridge.

That's pretty impressive imo ... didn't thought something like that was possible for a cartridge.
The Magic Key MVS to AES converter does something like this. It has a built-in unibios for region changes and cheats. Unfortunately, it does not work for all games, so you must hold down a bi-pass button on the adapter to skip the included bios.

If such functionality is added to the MultiCart, I hope it will have a setting to disable it. I opened up my Magic Key, and soldered the by-pass switch on to avoid holding down the button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back