What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
in the neogeo we have 5 buses that we need to serve, in the snes only one iirc. So we are talking 5 times the number of buses synchronized to work properly. The 2 PCBs in the neogeo are in size like 4 snes carts, so make your numbers. It should be around 3-4 times the price of a snes multi.
5??? and the cartridge itself has to feed them? I'm no electronics engineer but that seems like brute force. Are we talking audio and multiple sprite layers or is it more esoteric than that?
Does the PCB have to have so many layers because the network you built is made to match original hardware with separate chips for each bus.
5 buses are: program code (P chips), sounds (V chips), sprites (C chips), sound control program (M chip) and fixed layer graphics (S chip). The many layers have not much to do with that, because original SNK boards are only 2 layers and have the same buses, it likely has to do with the control chips (CPLDs, etc.) used to make the multi tick.

"How much is it?" and "Why does it cost that much?" are questions that don't need to be answered...

The only questions I want answered are "When are the pre-orders open?" and "Where do I send my money?"

:D
Hey, hey, get in line buddy!

"How much is it?" and "Why does it cost that much?" are questions that don't need to be answered...

The only questions I want answered are "When are the pre-orders open?" and "Where do I send my money?"

e770bbe47ff02b1df34bf94d81836e79_u-right-meme-memesuper-u-right-meme_553-484.jpeg

5??? and the cartridge itself has to feed them? I'm no electronics engineer but that seems like brute force. Are we talking audio and multiple sprite layers or is it more esoteric than that?
Does the PCB have to have so many layers because the network you built is made to match original hardware with separate chips for each bus.
Yes, indeed there are five busses that all have to be supplied data by the cartridge. That's why the Neo Geo carts are so expensive, large and have two PCBs. And also why the console was so advanced when it launched in 1990.

The five busses are:

V=8 bit PCM digital audio samples
S="Fix" graphics overlay for score, lives remaining, etc
P=16 bit programming code for the Motorola 68000 main CPU
M=8 bit programming code for the Z80 sound CPU
C=16 bit graphics data

Plenty more info for inquiring minds at the Neo Geo Dev Wiki: https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
C-BUS is read in 32bits (each bank is a pair of 16bit ROMs). IN AES case there's a "serializer" chip in the cartridge. That allows them to serve less pins on the cart connector. On MVS case the "serializer" is part of the game board hardware. That "serializer" is required by the Neo-Geo design as the graphics hardware input is a multiplexed 8 bit bus (saves pins on the NEO-B0 IC) which the "serializer" IC is meant to feed with data.

That seriaizer IC is how they prevented AES and MVS from inter-operating. An adapter from MVS cart to AES motherboard is possible and has been done by adding the "serializer" along the required wiring to a adapter.

The opposite was never done, because while theoretically possible it would be super complex and very prone to glitching (delay on data propagation would likely cause graphical glitches from de-serializing for then re-serializing the stream before sending the data o the VDC circuitry).

I take it the busses are all running different speeds and you need to account for metastability.
That stuff is a pain to code for.

Most of your code is probably in FSM's with component instantiations I would assume.

I'm very excited about this project. I have dollars ready. This is a dream I've had since I will never be able to coerce the better half on letting me by Neo games :)

I take it the busses are all running different speeds and you need to account for metastability.
That stuff is a pain to code for.

Most of your code is probably in FSM's with component instantiations I would assume.

I'm very excited about this project. I have dollars ready. This is a dream I've had since I will never be able to coerce the better half on letting me by Neo games :)
more or less that :)

I hope the AES version is out not long after the MVS.
Well, most of the work will be done once the MVS version comes out, so the AES version shouldn't be too far behind I would imagine...

But, then again, it sucks to be you!!!

Not really. I consolized an MV-2F, so I do have some MVS games, but I just really prefer the AES aesthetics.

I'm not sure what you mean by "if you don't care about quality" regarding the AES. I use RGB video from it, and I've done the RGB bypass to get top quality RGB, so unless you're referring to the mv-2f's stereo sound ability, I've not noticed any difference between them.

Could you please explain that remark?

I'm not sure what you mean by "if you don't care about quality" regarding the AES. I use RGB video from it, and I've done the RGB bypass to get top quality RGB, so unless you're referring to the mv-2f's stereo sound ability, I've not noticed any difference between them.

Could you please explain that remark?
Agreed - I did an RGB bypass on my AES motherboard 3-4 revision and now its output is on par with my Omega CMVS. A properly setup AES looks fantastic!

As you all said you have had to modify your consoles...

I like my virgin AES, have a lot of games for her and also I will buy Darksoft's carts for both but I'm sure AES will be resting in the shelving watching how I play with the MVS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back