What's new
I really appreciate the offer. I have a programmer on it's way, but I was being impatient. Thanks for setting me straight.
Just follow @djsheep guide linked in the 1st post of this thread, should get you sorted out with programming the simms. Also, I think you need to reflash your cart to the no cd version.

Just follow @djsheep guide linked in the 1st post of this thread, should get you sorted out with programming the simms. Also, I think you need to reflash your cart to the no cd version.
I've read all the threads and just mis-interpreted the use of the CD version of the bios. The CD functionality is only there to program the ORIGINAL SIMMS, which is where I tripped up. It is possible to program those, just not the UltraSIMMs. I've read the guide and it all seems fairly straight-forward. It looks like the programmer is almost here.

You don’t need the NoCD BIOS on the cart to use the UltraSIMMs. As long as it’s the latest SuperBIOS then either the CD or NoCD BIOS work equally well.

You don’t need the NoCD BIOS on the cart to use the UltraSIMMs. As long as it’s the latest SuperBIOS then either the CD or NoCD BIOS work equally well.
So either version of the ultrabios will work with the ultrasimms?? But you need the cd version to use regular simms? So why not just have one ultrabios with cd support so you can run either ultrasimms or regular simm? Maybe I missed this info somewhere, cause if so that is pretty awesome, just have to flash the ultra+cd going forward.

The only reason to use the NoCD BIOS AFAIK is if you’re using the regular SIMMs and want to boot up from the game already flashed on them without a SCSI device connected.

The UltraSIMMs behave identically with both the CD and NoCD SuperBIOS.

The only reason to use the NoCD BIOS AFAIK is if you’re using the regular SIMMs and want to boot up from the game already flashed on them without a SCSI device connected.

The UltraSIMMs behave identically with both the CD and NoCD SuperBIOS.
Thanks for the info, not sure if its posted anywhere, but would be nice to have descriptions for each of the bios images, detailing their features/use case/etc...

Bios for Capcom carts with custom SH2 CPU
UltraBIOS_for_custom_SH2_AUTOSELECT_v1.0_CD

UltraBIOS_for_custom_SH2_AUTOSELECT_v1.0_NOCD

Bios for Capcom carts with replaced standard SH2 CPU or Darksoft's repro carts
UltraBIOS_for_standard_SH2_AUTOSELECT_v1.0_CD

UltraBIOS_for_standard_SH2_AUTOSELECT_v1.0_NOCD

The two Custom CPU BIOSs are for original Capcom carts with the encrypted Capcom SH2 CPU.

The two Standard CPU BIOSs are for Darksoft reproduction carts that use a standard non-encrypted Hitachi SH2 CPU. A Hitachi standard CPU can also be swapped into a Capcom cart with a bunch of soldering work.

Functionally, the two CPUs are the same running the SuperBIOS except that the Capcom Custom CPU can’t run homebrew or hacks like 4th Strike.

I decscribed the differences between the CD and NoCD BIOSs for each CPU type above.

The two Custom CPU BIOSs are for original Capcom carts with the encrypted Capcom SH2 CPU.

The two Standard CPU BIOSs are for Darksoft reproduction carts that use a standard non-encrypted Hitachi SH2 CPU. A Hitachi standard CPU can also be swapped into a Capcom cart with a bunch of soldering work.

Functionally, the two CPUs are the same running the SuperBIOS except that the Capcom Custom CPU can’t run homebrew or hacks like 4th Strike.

I decscribed the differences between the CD and NoCD BIOSs for each CPU type above.
Now we just need Darksoft to write this up on the 1st post ft the bios release thread, thank you sir :thumbup:

You absolutely want to use the Nocd version with the ultrabios if you want to avoid connecting a cd drive or scsi2sd when using the UltraSIMMS. If you use the cd version of the UltraBIOS with UltraSIMMS then you have to connect a drive.

CD version of the UltraBIOS is there because the UltraBIOS cart works wonderfully with regular simms plus it has the fixed menu cursor. So my recommendation is to use the CD version of UltraBIOS with original simms and the Nocd version for UltraSIMMS.

Huh, that’s odd-I’ve been using the latest CD BIOS with my UltraSIMMs without any SCSI device connected and it’s been fine. Weird-maybe it’s just something with my setup then.
I stand corrected.

Huh, that’s odd-I’ve been using the latest CD BIOS with my UltraSIMMs without any SCSI device connected and it’s been fine. Weird-maybe it’s just something with my setup then.
I stand corrected.

This is super weird - for me - using the CD BIOS - it looks for the CD and gives an error that its not connected....

Matt

You absolutely want to use the Nocd version with the ultrabios if you want to avoid connecting a cd drive or scsi2sd when using the UltraSIMMS. If you use the cd version of the UltraBIOS with UltraSIMMS then you have to connect a drive.

CD version of the UltraBIOS is there because the UltraBIOS cart works wonderfully with regular simms plus it has the fixed menu cursor. So my recommendation is to use the CD version of UltraBIOS with original simms and the Nocd version for UltraSIMMS.
This is how @Darksoft had explained it to me way back when the ultrasimms launched.

I thought this had changed, @ShootTheCore is pretty accurate in his testing of stuff :)

Ya, I’ll have to test the UltraSIMMs with another CPS3 board and the CD BIOS at some point and see how it behaves. My CPS3 board has … history.

6A598568-E53D-413E-80CD-806B51193F6E.jpeg

New CPSIII Ultra Simms !!! With 8x the capacity of a regular SIMM

CPSIII Ultra_SIMM_2.jpeg
Cable_Installation_1.jpeg

To run a CPS-3 setup with the UltraSIMMs you require two other pieces of hardware:
• A Working CPS-3 Motherboard (doesn’t matter what region, or game)
• A UltraBIOS cart. It's basically a regular cart that has the processor replaced with a regular SH2 and has the UltraBIOS in the flash (see attached). Reproduction carts have the right SH2, so you just need to write the new file to the BIOS.

The fastest method of programming the UltraSIMMs is with a ProMan (also known as TL86Plus) programmer.

See video below:

Instructions can be downloaded HERE: https://mega.nz/file/1RUnSC7I#iw8af8UNEhUS7khpxzrew2i5YQX1LaAkbVKhcp8Ky8I
Thanks to @djsheep

If you are programming the UltraSIMMs yourself, firstly, download the programmer software from this link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/rv7zvl71n422yr6/TL86PLUSDProManDNandpro_v062.rar/file
If your SIMM is not recognized properly by your Proman, try upgrading the firmware. The program and the firmware are available in the previous link with v062.

BIOS can be downloaded here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/j037lkbsm7e3upk/ULTRABIOS_CD+NOCD_For_Custom_and_Standard_SH2.7z/file
Could you pkease add UG.enc file into the software package? According to the instructions, an UG update is needed sometimes before upgrading the firmware.

I’m buying a set of these from @djsheep and ideally don’t want to have to attach a SCSI drive or SCSI2SD.

I currently have a standard cart with the super bios installed, but can swap that with @mR_CaESaR who has a custom one with the ultra bios on it.

Do I specifically need to make sure that I use the no cd ultra bios, or will the normal version of the ultra bios also work with no SCSI devices attached? (There seemed to be conflicting info in this thread)

Neither cart is flashed for ultra no cd, so if that’s the only one for me to use then I need to get them flashed.

Thanks

Back