What's new
I don't use frontends period, I run vanilla MAME in Windows 10.
I have a wireless keyboard/mouse combo for making selections, after I make the selection, combo go's inside the cab (no way to exit games from cab controls alone which is how I like it/locked down).
Im adamantly opposed to keyboard and mouse on cabinets. Reminds me of those nasa style control panels people make with drawers that pull out. I want everything to be handled via the controllers.

I want everything to be handled via the controllers.
Then players could exit the active game and return to the menu at any time.
I guess that's your point... But once the game is loaded, only someone with keys to the PCB door (aka me) can change it.
I'd rather it work that way, guests can ask to play whatever they like... ASK... ;)

How does the coin box work? Is it plugged in to act like a button when a coin goes through? So I could like map the "coin button" or something lol

How does the coin box work?
Dude I told you already, everything is handled by the JVS IO and linked to the JVSPAC2.
Its the default keyboard key for player-1 coin in MAME (you need to map nothing).

Boss! Thanks a bunch pretty excited to get this setup in the next month or so

What all the people recommending the All.net P.RAS Multi 3 cabinet over a Vewlix did not mention is that the former's monitor cannot be rotated.
P.RAS cabinets are stuck in yoko forever, whereas a Vewlix can be set up to play games in tate (although not the very latest Chewlixes, be careful).
If you intend on playing vertical shmups, that makes quite a big difference.

Are the monitors for the Vewlix cab easy to rotate or something you have to do by hand when you open the cab? (like a monitor on a stand that you easily rotate or you have to open the cab and rotate it from the inside)

Are the monitors for the Vewlix cab easy to rotate or something you have to do by hand when you open the cab?
  1. You have to remove the upper side plastics (three screws each, 6 total).
  2. You have to remove the two speaker bezels (4 screws each, 8 total).
  3. You have to remove the upper and lower brackets (3 screws each, 6 total).
  4. You have to open/remove the back monitor panel (2 screws).
  5. You have to unbolt the LCD (6 bolts).
Rotate the LCD and repeat steps above in reverse.
I consider myself fast/well versed in the process, and it takes me about 20~40mins to rotate one.
For the first time, expect more like 1 hour (lesions learned, like don't drop the upper side plastic screw down into the lower plastic compartment else you have to remove the entire leg from the cab to get it back)

I recommend having two (I originally had three but sold my white/blue Diamond) Vewlix cabs, one for hort one for vert...
0rM5BWg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What all the people recommending the All.net P.RAS Multi 3 cabinet over a Vewlix did not mention is that the former's monitor cannot be rotated.
P.RAS cabinets are stuck in yoko forever, whereas a Vewlix can be set up to play games in tate (although not the very latest Chewlixes, be careful).
If you intend on playing vertical shmups, that makes quite a big difference.
This is true, I'll add it to the cons. Thanks for the addition VxD I've never looked into it as a selling point because I have NACs for that, but it's a good callout. I've taken a bit of the PRas3 apart around the touch panel/LCD and there's no way that thing's being mounted portrait in there.

Do any modern games make full use of a 16:9 tate mode? That'd be pretty interesting. Virtual Pinball probably would benefit fully, for example.

Last edited:
@DJKNITEX I found a image for you, this is from when I moved my cabs.
I pulled the screen, side panels (for safety that one) coin box and control panels to make them as light as possible.
bDcUtZH.jpg

Do any modern games make full use of a 16:9 tate mode? That'd be pretty interesting. Virtual Pinball probably would benefit fully, for example.
Aka&Blue Type-R on exA comes to mind. The game can be played just fine in 4:3, but the UI feels less cramped in full 16:9.

And yes, rotating a Vewlix is a major PITA. It is a 30-minute job indeed, but not something you'll want to do on a whim.
Looking into buying a second one just for that reason.

Many modern vertical shmups have a tate mode. Most of the Cave shmup ports on steam or consoles have tate as an option. The 4x3 games just run letter-boxed with black bars or wallpaper above and below. It can actually be a little awkward to play a true 16x9 tate game on a Vewlix because the bottom of the screen sits so low when rotated, the edge of the control panel can obstruct the very bottom of the screen since it is higher then the bottom of the screen, you have to sit closer to the cab in these occasions to see below the panel.

Back