What's new
Not a problem. If you find anything missing or useful. Please bring it up for the next revision.

Keen to see what your OLED images look like :)

I got this today, super easy install! Used my existing wires as they were soldered in the same spots.

2 questions. 1 Question

1) When booting up the system - it doesn't display what game is currently playing - I assume this is by design?

1) the "end.wav" file doesn't play - when the multi starts to write, it looks like it tags the reset line, as the screen goes blank. Maybe that is why? The system still boots up when the reset is released, but would be nice to get the "end" file played.

Matt

Last edited:
Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could point me to the right direction?

Got the STV dark knight multi today to install for @DRAGONKZ and I'm not having the best luck with it unfortunately.

The ST-V was confirmed operational with Virtua Fighter Remix

Z2mtCEhh.jpg

The install looks like this

eOkPbt9h.jpg

The reset and audio points look like this (as I understand, they're both optional anyway)

sIpnfRgh.jpg

wvAMVTth.jpg

I formatted 3x MircoSD cards to FAT32 and ensured they're primary partitions. I copied all the contents of the ST-V Dark Knight roll up pack so there's a /games and /sounds directory.

When I power on, I get the nice logos made by @opt2not and I can cycle through the different games, but when I press select, nothing happens. Another LED turns on the moment I select a game as can be seen in the video below

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA5z5p1mjp0

k5JhjpVh.jpg

Jumpers are configured as below

SAn2l5yh.jpg

I've updated to the latest f/w. I had the flash.img in the root directory, then the led flashed really quickly and then the flash.img file disappeared off the sd card, so I believe it flashed as expected.

Is there anything else I should be looking for?

The second light indicates that the game is being written. Once it’s finished the light will go off indicating the game has finished flashing.

You should hear an audio file play when the game starts loading and then once again when it’s finished; if you’ve set the SD card up correctly with the audio files.

The only thing that springs to mind that could be an issue is if you lifted the pin from the pad on IC12. I had that happen with my install and it caused exactly what you’re describing. It can be pretty tricky to make contact of both the wire and pin on the pad.

One way to check that would be installing Virtua Fighter back on the multi to see if it works — but obviously disconnect both wires from the multi PCB, make sure the multi PCB is disconnected from the ST-V and reconnect the termination PCB before firing it up.

What BIOS are you using? Also, I believe this is Revision B of the ST-V motherboard right? Don’t think there would be any compatibility issues, but any ideas @Darksoft?

Kit was tested, as I told the guy you’re installing it for, before shipping, but obviously welcome to return for replacement or refund.

Last edited:
Also as a friendly side-note of a reminder to install Multis and confirm they’re working on the firmware’s they’re shipped with only.

Upgrading the firmware can possibly cause issues and eliminates ruling that out as the issue.

I believe the BIOS is a later EURO one going by the numbers on the chip.

I’ll swap it to the mod BIOS once we get a chance.

The Multi’s BIOS was updated to get the loading % bar on the OLED screen to help troubleshoot, not sure if he’s had a chance to try again since.

Putting it back to “stock” and testing VF again and running diagnostic tests are on the to do list.

I’m only relaying second hand info, but he did mention that once pressing enter to program a game the second LED comes on but never goes off. (Stays on 5+ mins if you leave it going that long)

On a side note, I’m assuming that this new version also needs the cabinet type setting (P1/P2) adjusted accordingly to play specific games?

Thanks

Yep. Settings need to be changed for some games. Namely the coin settings / cabinet type.

Don’t remove the current soldering to do the check, just follow the steps I gave above. That should give a fairer indication if it’s a leg not making contact on the IC or something else. The pin doesn’t look like it’s making contact well in the photos (hard to tell) and it’s pretty fragile and you definitely don’t want to break a leg or lose a pad by playing around with it too much.

Last edited:
You can also keep pressed the service button before powering up so a special service menu will show up and you can test the motherboard. The fact that it worked with one game doesnt mean it's working well. I've seen it too many times.

The second light indicates that the game is being written. Once it’s finished the light will go off indicating the game has finished flashing.

What's the baseline for the time to be written? I've left it on for 10 mins and it just sits there with the second LED turned on. It doesn't flash, it doesn't turn off

You should hear an audio file play when the game starts loading and then once again when it’s finished; if you’ve set the SD card up correctly with the audio files.

No audio is heard unfortunately. There is a /sounds folder with an end.wav and start.wav file but nothing is heard through the mono speakers

The only thing that springs to mind that could be an issue is if you lifted the pin from the pad on IC12. I had that happen with my install and it caused exactly what you’re describing. It can be pretty tricky to make contact of both the wire and pin on the pad.

I've checked and confirm continuity on the pad and wire and it's definitely not lifted. A fair bit of flux was put on pin 8 of IC12 to help prevent lifting the pad.

There's continuity between the Reset pad pin 8 and reset pin on the multi. The same goes for the audio component.

One way to check that would be installing Virtua Fighter back on the multi to see if it works — but obviously disconnect both wires from the multi PCB, make sure the multi PCB is disconnected from the ST-V and reconnect the termination PCB before firing it up.

I'll check this out later today/tonight

What BIOS are you using? Also, I believe this is Revision B of the ST-V motherboard right?

I'm assuming this is the bios, it says.

SEGA MPR-17954A W31
9521K7008

I also believe it's Rev B as the stereo pcb fits.

Also as a friendly side-note of a reminder to install Multis and confirm they’re working on the firmware’s they’re shipped with only.

Noted. As was mentioned, I tried updating to get the % bar to help with the troubleshooting. That said, the behaviour is exactly the same. Is there a way to determine what f/w version is running on the multi?

You can also keep pressed the service button before powering up so a special service menu will show up and you can test the motherboard. The fact that it worked with one game doesnt mean it's working well. I've seen it too many times.

I've gone through the whole test and these are the screens I got with errors, not really sure what they mean though atm

8jmb8Uel.jpg

Hxc3BMcl.jpg

tUZjjZRl.jpg

F3oY6Hxl.jpg

Loading shouldn’t take that long.

Try removing the audio files / folder off the SD to see if they’re causing any issues.

See how you go running the Virtua Fighter cart on there, and if possible any other carts you can get your hands on to see if they also work.

Re: IC12. It’s not the reset wire that’s important. It’s that the pad of IC12 is making solid contact with the pin. I thought mine had continuity also, but realised it wasn’t after trying carts when my multi was showing similar symptoms to the ones you’re experiencing.

Re: Firmware updating, I understand why it was done, but as I said, there’s always a chance things get broken further if there was an existing issue. No biggie, just can’t rule it out as a further contributing factor / making things worse if it’s not flashed right.

How did the sound test go on the board? Also what are your voltages like. Can you try another cab / Supergun? If you’ve got a blank 27C400 around, try the Modbios in case it’s the stock BIOS causing issues.

If you can’t get it working, you’re more than welcome to send it all up to me, with the motherboard, to have a look. I have a bunch of ST-V stuff here to test against.

Last edited:
Yeah I didn't think loading would take that long - especially based on my experience with other DS Multis.

I'll definitely check the VF cart and report back.

IC12 100% had the pin connected. Continuity on the pad and pin was confirmed prior to the mod so I had a baseline

drum96Nl.jpg

Yeah I too understand the f/w thing. I always 100% of the time get a baseline to see what I'm working with. My IT support hat came on as most vendors don't want to support you unless you have the latest f/w. I unfortunately experienced the same behaviour pre and post f/w upgrade. There's still no progress/status bar.

SD card wise, it's either the card is able to be read or not right? The fact that I'm able to cycle through all the game listing essentially means the card is able to be read right?

Easy. Report back please when you’ve tried the cart.

This:

703022E2-A94F-4090-88B2-6A2E8BF79489.jpeg

Is very different to this:

9AE84D4D-6726-429F-A6CB-BD80634D8DE4.jpeg

Like I said above. Very hard to get solid continuity check on it. Mine seemed fine and I had to really get the pin tacked back down for it to work again.

First step above any further testing / back-and-forth is to check functionality of a cart.

Last edited:
Of course it's going to look very different, there's a blob of solder on it. A DMM removes any form of guess work. If there's continuity, there's continuity. Continuity from the pad to the leg and reset point on the multi is all confirmed so I personally don't believe the leg has been lifted.

I've just tested the original cart again and it's working perfectly fine. Sound works, inputs work

pcCu1zll.jpg

I get it, but like I said in my first reply here, mine *was* showing continuity, but it wasn't the strongest connection. Reflowing and tacking it down made it come back to life. Screws me why that's the case though.

OK, so we've ruled that out.

I think the next few steps would be to try:

A different BIOS
A different cab / supergun

@Darksoft any other ideas, or should I get this one back to me for further testing?

What brand / size SD cards have you tried?

If any of the multis you have there were purchased with a SD card off my site; try that. The ones I sell are all meticulously tested, by batch, on all existing multis.

the fact that no sound comes out, makes me think that the problem might be with the microSD or the reset. About the microSD can you show us what you are using? Did you try with a different one?

I've tried transcend, 2x sandisk, 2x samsung - the common denominator is they're 32gb and above (64gb for a few). If I have to, I'll try and look for lower size cards around the house

They're formatted in fat32 using the recommended formatter.

If it was the reset wire, shouldn't I still get "flash writing" on the normal LCD and essentially write the game to the flash so when I power the unit on/off it loads up? I don't get any "flash writing" message at all

@djsheep do you have the provisions to burn a modBIOS chip, or know of someone who can?

It could be easier to get a tested SD card and BIOS from you (or someone else in a position to validate they work) and we put them in and see what happens.

From my reading about the old version and STV issues, it seems most problems are SD card, SH2, or BIOS related.

Thanks

Back