What's new

Bastich76

Student
Reaction score
I have two Initial D3 cabinets that are missing the NAOMI 2 board, but have all the other components. I would much rather have an Outrun 2 or 2SP running, but I can't seem to find a solid answer as to whether or not this will work out of the box or what it takes to convert it.

As I understand it, there are variances in the I/O board that may cause the Chihiro or Lindbergh not to boot up.

Does anyone have any info on this topic and how to convert it?

I would prefer the Lindbergh version, but will work with whichever is easiest.

I'd go chihiro. Not sure if the ffb board will work with the lindbergh hardware.

I'd go chihiro. Not sure if the ffb board will work with the lindbergh hardware.
Thanks. I am looking for a little more detail if you are able to provide it. I want to know how to convert it to the NAOMI 2 cabinet before I buy either a Lindbergh or a Chihiro. Do you know of any details I can read?

You can run Chihiro OutRun2 or SP in an initial D 1/2/3 cab by simply swapping out the Naomi2 mobo/software for a Chihiro mobo and software. All controls will work as will FFB.

It will play a bit strange as the large wheel and lock to lock of iD is not designed for OR2. But it will run. To do a perfect conversion you would be best getting a complete 'Model 3' style dash assembly as this has the correct physical steering assembly required for OR2. Think Sega Rally 2, Daytona 2 or Scud Race (Super GT). It slots right in so no hacking needed.

Only thing with this is the shifter will then be wrong as most Model 3 games had a 4 speed shifter, not the up/down style of iD/OR2. You can fit the iD shifter using an official converter plate and until you source one, play OR2/SP perfectly with auto transmission.

I converted two iD1 cabs into a twin OR2SP some years ago.

You can run Chihiro OutRun2 or SP in an initial D 1/2/3 cab by simply swapping out the Naomi2 mobo/software for a Chihiro mobo and software. All controls will work as will FFB.

It will play a bit strange as the large wheel and lock to lock of iD is not designed for OR2. But it will run. To do a perfect conversion you would be best getting a complete 'Model 3' style dash assembly as this has the correct physical steering assembly required for OR2. Think Sega Rally 2, Daytona 2 or Scud Race (Super GT). It slots right in so no hacking needed.

Only thing with this is the shifter will then be wrong as most Model 3 games had a 4 speed shifter, not the up/down style of iD/OR2. You can fit the iD shifter using an official converter plate and until you source one, play OR2/SP perfectly with auto transmission.

That's awesome. Thanks so much for the information. I basically wanted to use this cabinet for Crazy Taxi and Outrun 2. For some reason I thought there was way more to it than that. I know I need to make a pin adapter for CT, but otherwise that game works fine with this setup too.

Tell me about that plate.... I'm thinking on converting my third daytona 2 machine into a OR2 too, and I haven't moved forward because of the shifter.

The converter plate is part number LMN-1202. You remove the 4 speed shifter and bolt in the converter plate in place of it. You then fit the up/down shifter into that and secure with four screws and an updated cover plastic (INY-1204).

I used to repro the converter plates but I sold out and haven't done any more for a while. Mo at Videotronics does them https://www.videotronicsuk.com/shift-base-lmn-1202.html

Or you can get one with an F355 dash panel.

No mean feat converting a Daytona 2 to OR2. So many differences in hardware and wiring.

The converter plate is part number LMN-1202. You remove the 4 speed shifter and bolt in the converter plate in place of it. You then fit the up/down shifter into that and secure with four screws and an updated cover plastic (INY-1204).

I used to repro the converter plates but I sold out and haven't done any more for a while. Mo at Videotronics does them https://www.videotronicsuk.com/shift-base-lmn-1202.html

Or you can get one with an F355 dash panel.

No mean feat converting a Daytona 2 to OR2. So many differences in hardware and wiring.

AFAIK the steering mech and the ffb pcb are the same. Aren't they?

Can the Lindbergh ver run in 31k? I always had it end up booting in HD on the Lindbergh, and so I ran a Chihiro in my Naomi cabs for OR2 because of this.

AFAIK the steering mech and the ffb pcb are the same. Aren't they?

FFB no. Steering wheel and motor, yes.

Converting a Model 3 racer to OR2 is not worth it IMO. If you really want to play a different game, why not Scud Race, Sega Rally 2 or Dirt Devils?

Can the Lindbergh ver run in 31k? I always had it end up booting in HD on the Lindbergh, and so I ran a Chihiro in my Naomi cabs for OR2 because of this.

the multi can, yes.
outrun2.jpg

the multi can, yes.
outrun2.jpg
Nice, I don't think my version of the multi I had at the time had that option. I had stuck to the more original (walsdawg) multi, not the modded out one with 360 controllers etc. Pretty slick, though.

Back