What's new
OK, I've purchased some proper DIP sockets for my test board now instead of those round machined ones... now we wait another month as there doesn't seem to be any at Jaycar for local purchases

OK, I've purchased some proper DIP sockets for my test board now instead of those round machined ones... now we wait another month as there doesn't seem to be any at Jaycar for local purchases
Shame having to wait but It'll save your some de-soldering pain in the future, I try and keep stocks for myself of all size sockets but it's hard to keep up when you have a lot of broken stuff..

Installing U6 facing the right direction prevents your machine from releasing those lovely arcade smells ;)
That is where sockets come in handy!

The most time consuming part was writing those 27c322. Had to use an adapter for a TL866II an split the files to 8 512kb parts for each eprom.
Fun project.

eps001.jpg

No sound or graphic errors so far:
esp002.jpg

Just wanted to share my build... which I really couldn't have done without the support of @GC8TECH who was pretty much there every step of the way!

I got some sockets off him so I didn't have to wait a month or two for the ones from ebay which allowed me to build the test board.

I purchased most of the parts recommended in the mouser cart except for the chips.

My GAL is Lattice GAL16VD so I went with the addtional 3x 10k resistors that GC8TECH recommended an

Assembly was a breeze, this board is made for anybody to do - even if your soldering skills is not the greatest, it was really easy albeit time consuming.

Burnt all the necessary eproms and gals - this was by far the longest part of the projects and I think took somewhere in the vicinity of 5-6 hours to burn all 3 games (which multiple breaks in between :D)

First boot up didn't go down so well... had graphics glitches but I did have sound

After some quick troubleshooting tips from this thread and GC8TEC, he recommended I reburn a T1 and T2 chip along with the U5 GAL. I did this and voila!! We have a working DOJ!!

I managed to test all three games extensively and was happy enough with the results to solder them directly to the board

UGfl7Xul.jpg

Who doesn't love a good label? :D

gOseNwhl.jpg

Espgaluda

KcyaQMnl.jpg

Ketsui

hLibCIZl.jpg

Ketsui Trap Edition (with a jumper on JP2)

KLPkVLIl.jpg

Since I bought the switch from the mouser cart linked, I might consider installing that, I just need to figure out how to mount it and where - that being said, I can't see myself playing the trap version that often.

Last thing left for this project is the waiting game. Waiting for some more DIP 42 and DIP 20 sockets and the cases, other than that, the project is done :D

Thank you once again @GC8TECH for the help and of course @Fluffy for making these AWESOME boards. I'm tempted to make some more for some friends! :D

Nice work :), I got my boards today and decided in the end to make one of my boards into a test board also. I didn't have the mojo in me to de-solder an eprom or two if one wasn't working. I'll pull the sockets off it one day later on when I get a mechanical de-soldering gun.

:evil:
Sent something "test board" related to the boyz, hopefully it's decent and we've got another game unlocked....

Fingers crossed!

Could it be Ddp white label that's not buggy? I know everyone wants demon front, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that's not possible

No, it's one of the beat em up's.
I was surprised some of them had "regular" protection checks so did it as a proof of concept.

DDP2 had similar regular protection checks and had it running in mame on a unprotected driver.
Sadly i destroyed the work on the boot checks trying to fix an ingame check that shared parts of the same code.

The reason i looked at this was to "start thinking chinese" and get warmed up for cracking final fight 3.... it worked :D

I've been collecting all the Oriental Legends games so if it's not one of those I'm.. to use the Chinese term.. double happy :)

Hi Guys,

so im using the files provided here by bartre which have been verified.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lAbSp2KyxhGRk0yIzBTXLf3sFvMuMV2_/view?usp=sharing

Questions on the RG PAL U5 files as I am a bit confused

PGM_RG_U5.jed = generic and can be used across all games, so why would you choose to use a game specific file in the pack?
U5_DDP = DoDonPachi DaiOuJou so this and PGM_RG_U5.jed would work exactly the same?
U5_ESP = used for ketsui and ESP again same result as using the generic?

under what scenario would you have a use case for the U5_QB version?

thanks in advance
M

PGM_RG_U5.jed = generic and can be used across all games, so why would you choose to use a game specific file in the pack?
U5_DDP = DoDonPachi DaiOuJou so this and PGM_RG_U5.jed would work exactly the same?
U5_ESP = used for ketsui and ESP again same result as using the generic?
The generic GAL needs to be configured with jumpers. If you don't plan to reconfigure the board for a different game you can use the specific one so you don't have to populate the jumpers.

under what scenario would you have a use case for the U5_QB version?
DDP uses the bios, so every time you boot the game you have to wait through the splash sequence. QB uses a version of the bios meant for stand-alone PCB, and doesn't show the splash sequence.

I'm testing my Espgaluda roms, and have a minor graphical corruption on some of the text well specifically the "n's" in insert coin. I broke a leg off A2 and repaired it so I'll burn another A2 to see if that's the problem.. But I'm close. (Also the A in press start is wonky)

Last edited:
The generic GAL needs to be configured with jumpers. If you don't plan to reconfigure the board for a different game you can use the specific one so you don't have to populate the jumpers.

DDP uses the bios, so every time you boot the game you have to wait through the splash sequence. QB uses a version of the bios meant for stand-alone PCB, and doesn't show the splash sequence.
With the QB DDP, its the same romset across the m27c322, no change? and just the QB on the U5 GAL + JP1? = bypass stock bios?
Also do any of the 3 cave carts offer any bios settings or options etc via test or service?

Back