What's new
Sorry, but I haven't tasted recallbox with this board. I'll test soon.
I think the two links below may be helpful (I haven't tested them yet).

For video output : https://wiki.recalbox.com/en/tutorials/video/crt/crt-screen-dpi-vga666-piscart-rgbpi
For MCP23017 : https://github.com/recalbox/mk_arcade_joystick_rpi
@Crown Arcade Shop
I really love your hardware design 😍
In order for us to enjoy this great piece of hardware with various distributions, could you please provide gpio pin details?
What gpio pins are used for sound? Guess you use the rgbpi pins
dtparam=audio=on
dtoverlay=pwm-2chan,pin=18,func=2,pin2=19,func2=2
Please confirm.

What gpio pins are used for the controls? Should be gpio 2(pin 3) and gpio 3(pin 5) as you use two MCP23017 with i2c and not direct gpio pins for controls, right? But what addresses are used (0x20 and 0x24)?

Many thanks
Martin

Last edited:
Not really. I got recalbox running on it but couldn't get my jamma buttons to work.
Did you try
controllers.gpio.enabled=1
controllers.gpio.args=map=0x20,0x24
in the recalbox.conf file.
0x20 should be correct? Not sure about the second chip's address.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I got it to work with recalbox 9.1 on my pi4 😄
Adapter type is rgbpi (means mode 6 vga666). This leaves gpio18 and 19 for sound.
The mcp23017 has to be used with i2c0! This means pins 27 and 28 (gpio0 and gpio1).
Sadly the mk_arcade_joystick_rpi module in 9.1 recalbox is hard coded to i2c1 gpio2 and gpio3 😖 This will interfere with the video sync usage of these gpio pins!
So you have to patch the source file to i2c0 pins and build the module.
Then you can copy the ko module file to your 9.1 Pulstar installation and simply use the recalbox.conf with
controllers.gpio.enabled=1
controllers.gpio.args=map=0x20,0x21
br
Martin

Last edited:
Needed a sync cleaner for it to lock on my intended monitor.
I finally got around to setting up RGB-Pi OS4, but couldn't get sync lock through a supergun to a 15 kHz CRT. Have others found they needed a sync cleaner?

I finally got around to setting up RGB-Pi OS4, but couldn't get sync lock through a supergun to a 15 kHz CRT. Have others found they needed a sync cleaner?
My monitor was a G07 and it was driving me nuts as to what was going on. So i tried lots of things. Which screen is not syncing? Menu or game?

My monitor was a G07 and it was driving me nuts as to what was going on. So i tried lots of things. Which screen is not syncing? Menu or game?
Menu. I haven’t gotten any games to start (tried a few arcade games and PCE Aero Blasters), but I figured it’s irrelevant until I can fix sync. Once I fix sync, I’ll try different MAME romsets.

Menu. I haven’t gotten any games to start (tried a few arcade games and PCE Aero Blasters), but I figured it’s irrelevant until I can fix sync. Once I fix sync, I’ll try different MAME romsets.

If you want to PM me, we can run through some things to try so we don't spam Crown's thread. I truly believe the root of the sync issues are software related. It worked flawlessly in one of my other cabs no tweaking needed.

Hello, great product, I ordered one to use with RGBPI (Pi4/OS4). Just to be sure, I can plug my RGBPi scart cable to the white GPIO port?

Hello, great product, I ordered one to use with RGBPI (Pi4/OS4). Just to be sure, I can plug my RGBPi scart cable to the white GPIO port?

I think you misunderstood, this would be a replacement for the RGB-Pi jamma interface.

I think you misunderstood, this would be a replacement for the RGB-Pi jamma interface.
Yes I know, but I'm wondering if I could use the white GPIO port to also plug my RGBPi scart cable when I'm not using it in jamma cabinet.

Are you talking about the white connectors on crown's adapter?
These are cps1 and cps2 kick harness connectors 🤣
Oh crap! :D Sorry, it's my first cabinet, with a vertical monitor, I'm using it only for shmups so I don't care with kick harness.

This looks great. Is it a lot of fiddling with the OS? Seems we can use RGB-PI OS is that right?

Did a quick test and everything seems to work out of the box with OS4. My Astro City (Nanao MS9) is in the restoration stage (This is my first vintage CRT cabinet.) so I'll do the full test sometime next month. My mates were impressed and asked me to order each for them. Salute to both OS and PCB board designers. I definitely will support the OS dev too.

Hi there,

I got it to work with recalbox 9.1 on my pi4 😄
The adapter type is rgbpi (means mode 6 vga666). This leaves gpio18 and 19 for sound.
The mcp23017 has to be used with i2c0! This means pins 27 and 28 (gpio0 and gpio1).
Sadly the mk_arcade_joystick_rpi module in 9.1 recalbox is hard coded to i2c1 gpio2 and gpio3 😖 This will interfere with the video sync usage of these gpio pins!
So you have to patch the source file to i2c0 pins and build the module.
Then you can copy the ko module file to your 9.1 Pulstar installation and simply use the recalbox. conf with

br
Martin
That's amazing. I wish I can run Recalbox on this board too. Their UI is probably something that I'm familiar with, but patching the source file sounds complicated for a beginner like me.

I have been having issues getting a clean video signal. I have a retropie image that I would like to edit the config.txt for but it look this crappy. Can anyone tell me whats wrong here? its on a rpi3b and how do I tell the Pi to use the Jamma buttons instead of usb? I think a driver update for my image most likely will fix this

Attachments

• 20240123_213521.jpg
    20240123_213521.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240123_213435.jpg
    20240123_213435.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240123_213417.jpg
    20240123_213417.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Is that operating system necessary? I am probably not going to change mine since I dont think its upgradable. its on jessie and I think it just needs to use the right gpio pins

Last edited:
Back