What's new
Yeah! Please get a psu with adjustable voltages and make sure you have 3.30v and not more than 5.10v.

Especially the Naomi's fairchild buffers and those of the games are prone to suffer vom overvoltage and will break from this causing the system all kinds of weird behaviour.

One of my naomi 2s for example won't allow linking and I can netboot N1 and M2 games and it will play N1 carts but as soon as I pop in a N2 cart it will freeze after 20 seconds.

Be very cautious of that. The previous owner ran the thing overvoltage with 5.35v all the time. I wonder how not everything in there is toast already. 🙈

Progress update!

I have a 300W psu from an old HP workstation. I've measured 3.36 and 5.12 from the molex. close enough I think, nothing smells funky and I can boot games :)

Since I don't have a cabinet (yet) and it's loud af when it's vibrating on my desk, I figured I should mount everything in a PC case..
looks pretty neat I think
IMG_20210213_225605.jpg

Fan controller for the case fans. It also has temperature sensors but they're disconnected right now. going to put them in the Naomi eventually..
IMG_20210213_225522.jpg

After learning that I can use a dreamcast controller to play some games I "borrowed" the controller board from my dc (sorry)..
I also soldered some rca connectors to a backplate from an old gpu.
the vga2hdmi adapter is screwed in from the inside with the vga cable. couldn't fit it next to the rca's so I took another backplate from another old gpu.. the adapter gets its power from the 5v pin header on the filter board.
IMG_20210213_225014.jpg

IMG_20210213_225043.jpg

some cable management
IMG_20210213_225101.jpg

Aperture science - we do what we must, because we can
IMG_20210213_225630.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_230937.jpg
    IMG_20210213_230937.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 195
Progress update!

I have a 300W psu from an old HP workstation. I've measured 3.36 and 5.12 from the molex. close enough I think, nothing smells funky and I can boot games :)

Since I don't have a cabinet (yet) and it's loud af when it's vibrating on my desk, I figured I should mount everything in a PC case..
IMG_20210213_225605.jpg

Fan controller for the case fans. It also has temperature sensors but they're disconnected right now. going to put them in the Naomi eventually..
IMG_20210213_225522.jpg

After learning that I can use a dreamcast controller to play some games I "borrowed" the controller board from my dc (sorry)..
the vga2hdmi adapter is screwed in from the inside with the vga cable. couldn't fit it next to the rca's so I took another backplate from another old gpu.. the adapter gets its power from the 5v pin header on the filter board.
IMG_20210213_225014.jpg

IMG_20210213_225043.jpg

some cable management
IMG_20210213_225101.jpg

IMG_20210213_225630.jpg
Is that awesome or what? Jumalauta!

Progress update!

IMG_20210213_225605.jpg

IMG_20210213_225522.jpg

IMG_20210213_225014.jpg

IMG_20210213_225043.jpg

some cable management
IMG_20210213_225101.jpg

IMG_20210213_225630.jpg
Nice build dude!

Progress update!

IMG_20210213_225605.jpg

IMG_20210213_225522.jpg

IMG_20210213_225014.jpg

IMG_20210213_225043.jpg

some cable management
IMG_20210213_225101.jpg

IMG_20210213_225630.jpg
Excellent man, maybe I will update pics of my naomi 2...

I have a consolized naomi 2, all the consolization is in the lower case, so if for example board is broken, I can change it without change nothing.

Neat ! You can probably stick that HDMI converter inside and use a small extender. Even cooler would be to have one of theses cheap HDMI cloner, and stick the output to a PCI-looking backplate for Dual output 😂

hi , i have an issue with my naomi
when i boot without netdimm , its ok a got screen with error 01
then when i with netdimm , i got a black screen ( its recognize) then no signal) any idea?

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone would point me in the right direction, I bought a Naomi 2, when I switch it on it comes on, there is no led's come om the main board, just the main fan comes on, nothing comes on my screen, just asking where to start to see what's wrong thanks in advance.

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone would point me in the right direction, I bought a Naomi 2, when I switch it on it comes on, there is no led's come om the main board, just the main fan comes on, nothing comes on my screen, just asking where to start to see what's wrong thanks in advance.

Check power. Especially 3.3v - NAOMI is extremely picky

Borrowing the pic from the first post...

If your picture looks like this with bad shading, you could also have bad SMT caps on the RGB output lines on the Naomi motherboard.

naomi_repair_2-jpg.jpg

Also, if you have an IC29 error, check the supercap for leakage and check for dead pins at IC29. You might have a corroded trace or 2 to patch. An IC29 error isn't always a bad chip at IC29. :)

Another thing to remember: If your monitor requres an isolation transformer and you don't use one, you will cause damage to the traces to the HD15 video connector on the daugtherboard. It will also most likely damage the video output IC on the Naomi. I had one where it blew through 2 chips and back to the custom via the sync line. That board was trash. :(

My Naomi 2 doesn’t seem to be booting. I get no video out. The fans are spinning though. I examined the C29 and it looks okay. How do I know if my bios is good or not? And how do I change out the bios?

Okay so I installed the new BIOS and still get nothing on the screen. I went ahead and also replaced C29 and I still get nothing.

Ken at irepairsega can probably get you fixed up.

Back