What's new
ok I got my SCSI SD Card Adapter to work with my cpsiii board

I will outline how I get the SCSI SD Card Adapter to work with my cpsiii board

My most humble apologies for typing in caps. I type in caps for my own documentations so that it is easier for myself to read.

I bought the sd card from below ebay link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274012153953?ul_noapp=true

PLUG THE MICRO SD CARD TO ANY EXTERNAL SD CARD ADAPTER AND PLUG EXTERNAL SD CARD ADAPTER TO PC

download SD Card Formatter from below website

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

INSTALL SD CARD FORMATTER

LAUNCH SD CARD FORMATTER

USE QUICK FORMAT TO FORMAT THE SD CARD ( please do not format the wrong drive ).

download HD Raw copy tool from below website

https://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

I downloaded this one

"Download Windows Executable (works without installation):"

download the CPSIII games in .ISO format from below website :

http://www.mediafire.com/download/p8eieg5zz47rmk6/UniCD-CPS3_for_custom_SH2_V5.7z

I believe you need to unzip the downloaded file to get the .iso FILE

LAUNCH HD RAW COPY TOOL -> FILE -> SELECT THE .ISO FILE

SELECT DESTINATION TO COPY TO.

CLICK START BUTTON

HD RAW COPY TOOL WILL START TO COPY THE ISO FILE TO THE SD CARD

AFTER THE COPY IS DONE, YOU CANNOT VIEW THE CONTENT OF THE SD CARD. WINDOWS WILL SHOW A ERROR MESSAGE IF YOU CLICK ON THE SD CARD

download from below link the latest firmware

download from below link the latest software to update the board's
firmware and settings

http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd/v4.8/

I downloaded the latest firmware for windows 10

I downloaded the latest update software for windows 10

please download the appropriate software for your own OS

RUN SCSI2SD-UTIL.EXE -> SELECT THE DOWNLOADED FIRMWARE

IT WILL AUTO DETECT THE CURRENT FIRMWARE IN THE BOARD

-> FILE -> UPGRADE FIRMWARE

IT WILL AUTO UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE

GOT WINDOW TO SHOW FIRMWARE UPDATE STATUS

AFTER SUCCESSFULLY UPDATED FIRMWARE CAN SEE THE LATEST FIRMWARE NUMBER

WHILE THE SCSI2SD-UTIL.EXE IS STILL RUNNING

SEE THE 2 PHOTOS SHOWN BELOW

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...ghIaChHyzrX-ABLTwCCo/s800-Ic42/SCSI2SD-02.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...e9DYUlmghgaJyrS1QCCo/s800-Ic42/SCSI2SD-01.png

AND MAKE SURE ALL THE SETTINGS ARE FOLLOWED EXACTLY

ONCE DONE SELECT -> FILE -> SAVE TO DEVICE

IT WILL SAVE THE SETTINGS TO THE DEVICE

DONE

UNPLUG THE USB CABLE THAT CONNECT THE SCSI BOARD TO PC

UNPLUG THE USB CABLE FROM SCSI BOARD

PLUG THE SD CARD TO SCSI BOARD

PLUG ONE END OF THE CABLE TO SCSI BOARD

PLUG THE OTHER END OF THE CABLE TO CPSIII BOARD

NO NEED TO PLUG THE MOLEX TO THE SCSI BOARD OR CPSIII BOARD

WHEN YOU START THE CPSIII PRESS AND HOLD PLAYER 1 START

NEED TO TEST TRY TO OVERWRITE A GAME TO THE CPSIII BOARD

Once again, my humble apologies for typing in caps

Thank you for reading.
great write-up! worked great. just reminder as stated in the first page of this thread, to change the scsi to cdrom and 700mb

Hi,

I have a multiCPS3 (thank you @Darksoft for DIMM and @aje_fr for the superbios cartbridge)
I test my system and all is OK. I have bought a scsi2sd
I have an old SD card - I copy UniCD-CPS3_for_standard_SH2_V4_Unmodified.iso
I have upgraded the firmware to v5.1 and saved the parameters -save to device-
i read the tutorial but it doesn't work.
(I have a iMac with parallels desktop with windows10)
Do you have an idea? the SD-HC card is not compatible? should I copy mediafire.com/download/p8eieg5…CPS3_for_custom_SH2_V5.7z but I don't think because I ask to @aje_fr , he said to me it was UniCD-CPS3_for_standard_SH2_V4_Unmodified.iso, and it works with my cd (which its burned with UniCD-CPS3_for_standard_SH2_V4_Unmodified.iso)

best regards

IMG_5766.JPG
IMG_5765.JPG
Capture d’écran 2020-01-20 à 14.59.23.png
Capture d’écran 2020-01-20 à 14.59.08.png

“standard” refers to the old method of replacing the SH-2 chip inside the cartridge with a normal, “standard” chip.

“Custom” refers to using Capcom’s stock custom SH-2 chip and not replacing it.

Whoever sold you the superbios cartridge may be mistaking, try the custom version and report back.

edit: also, your picture shows firmware version 4.8.

“standard” refers to the old method of replacing the SH-2 chip inside the cartridge with a normal, “standard” chip.

Whoever sold you the superbios cartridge may be mistaking, try the custom version and report back.

Thanks.

i will test the custom version...

my scsi2sd is a V5.1 (hardware) and the last fw is 4.8.

Thanks again.

He said the cart works with the standard CD, it is probably a repro cart and those use the standard SH-2

@mthngn Use a different SD card, that Lexar won't be fast enough for CPS3. Use a SanDisk Ultra or Samsung Evo as these have been tested and are known to work.

SCSI2SD mod will work on all CPS3s?
I installed it on my darksoft modded unit.

But will it work on any unit modded or not?

Yes, SCSI2SD is a direct replacement for any CPS3. You just need to put the right CD in the microSD for each case.

Finally got around to doing this tonight. Got it working after a lot of trial & error, and scrolling through pages throughout this thread. This post from Cat is right on the money, in terms of a walkthrough / FAQ / Setup Guide / How-to.

A couple notes/issues I ran into on my end, which may help people in the future:
  • Run everything as administrator if you're using Windows.
  • I could not get WinHEX to write the disc image to SD. It would just complain about a sector error. I used HDD Raw Copy.
  • MAME CHD conversions never worked for me. I ended up having to dig out my original 3S disc, dump it to a bin, and then write that. Make sure you're using a known good dump.
  • You do not need to connect the molex power cable. SCSI2SD will draw power from the SCSI cable.
  • I had to try multiple SD Cards before I wrote to one that successfully got the game to boot. The others would just hang at read time, or would throw an invalid CD message.
  • If you're trying to update your SCSI2SD firmware and/or change the device settings and your computer won't recognize it, try a different cable. I tried three known good cables before I found one that successfully got the SCSI2SD to show up on my computer.

SanDisk Ultra 16GB does not work.
Samsung EVO 32 GB works fine for me.

So I was having problems too and found @mukurofish's problem to be very similar to mine.

The issue is that dd has to write directly to the device and not a partition on the device. I was using the following command on Linux and it wasn't working:

dd bs=1M if=UniCD-CPS3_for_custom_SH2_V5.iso of=/dev/sdc1

...when I should have omitted the number at the end to write directly to the SD card:

dd bs=1M if=UniCD-CPS3_for_custom_SH2_V5.iso of=/dev/sdc

The naming conventions on a Mac are different, but the underlying mechanics are identical. @mukurofish was using the command:

dd if=UniCD-CPS3_for_custom_SH2_V5.iso of=/dev/disk4s1

...and it wasn't working. I couldn't find if he posted the command he used that eventually got things working, but my guess is that it was this:

dd if=UniCD-CPS3_for_custom_SH2_V5.iso of=/dev/disk4

I lost hours because of this one little detail, which I knew and should have caught from the very beginning. Blah!

Also, I just want to emphasize as a handful of others have already that it is NOT necessary to format the SD card ahead of time. The dd command (and presumably WinHex) turns an SD Card or USB stick into what is essentially a CD-ROM. At this point the device is functionally identical to a disc, and discs have their own unique file format/structure (Joliet) that is completely different from FAT32 or exFAT, or whatever.

Last edited:
This may have been posted at some point as well, but newer versions of the scsi2sd-util program (v4.8.04) for non-v6 hardware have more options than what is shown in earlier posts. These extra fields can safely be ignored.

Figured I would share because knowing this info would have helped eliminate some variables on my end.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 12.39.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 12.39.33 AM.png
    65 KB · Views: 297
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 12.40.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 12.40.43 AM.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 285
Recently acquired a CPS3 mobo that has a few issues (with 1P controls so unfortunately I cant access any Super Bios tools yet, and potentially other issues) and I'm trying to test stuff with it as much as I can.

So i got the Super Bios cart the other day and fortunately the board boots. I have the SCSI2SD 5.0a version and I'm trying to set that up to work. I have set it up as described many times in this thread (ID:1, CDROM, 700MB etc) but when i boot the board it always tells me that the cdrom is not connected properly.

I assumed that it may have a game still held in memory and would search for a cd/iso and tell me that there's no disc in the drive or something, but it always tells me its not connected properly.

Is this normal behaviour or do i need to wait until i can control the SuperBios before getting concerned?

It sounds like the board either isn't configured properly or isn't compatible with CPS3. Not sure on the compatibility - has anyone in this thread reported successfully using 5.0a? My feeling is you should get no CD found if the board is detected and configured properly, but no SD card is loaded. I can try to get my board and verify that tomorrow if it helps. I'm not sure which version of the board I have, since it isn't printed on the PCB, but it's the smaller version with the red PCB.

Thanks Kazuo, that would be great if you could please? I'm fairly sure i read up thread that 5.0a works ok (i hope it does!). I'll have a trawl back through the thread.

edit: i get the same error whether the scis2sd is connected or not (disconnected the scsi adaptor entirely).

edit2: its entirely possible this could be related to the missing network arrays on the board too...

Thanks Kazuo, that would be great if you could please? I'm fairly sure i read up thread that 5.0a works ok (i hope it does!). I'll have a trawl back through the thread.
Pretty sure the 5.0a is the one iTead sells? If it is, it works fine on CPS3

Back