What's new
Writing takes a lot of current, I've seen it fluctuate the voltage on a meanwell psu even during successful writes. Also we should consider that the scsi2sd in these cases is usually powered only by a ribbon cable located opposite the jamma edge.

Some updates:
Has your Blasts psu been recapped? Some boards draw more than others. Also have you checked voltages at the JAMMA edge while the cab/CPS3 is on?
It hasn't been recapped but I did check the voltage at the JAMMA edge and it did seem low. Raised it to 5.02V and the board stayed on and functional. Played about 20 minutes and also rewrote a game with no issues. Everything worked great with the SCSI2SD 5.2.

Apologies for what was a very noob mistake: Always check the voltage. It was tolerated by all my other boards but the CPS3 Multi is a different beast. Thanks to @skate323k137 for the reminder.

I also tried testing the SCSI2SD 5.0a on the Blast City and it doesn't work at all anymore. Can't read the SD card or see any files in it. I even swapped SD cards with different ISO images and got nothing. Even testing it on the HAS which has always worked showed the same result. Not that I'll be using the SCSI2SD 5.0a anymore but interesting that suddenly I get nothing from it.

So for now using a CPS3 Multi with a SCS2SD 5.2 board works in a Blast City cabinet provided that the voltage is as close to 5V as possible (as it should have always been). If I find anything new I'll be sure to update the thread. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Last edited:
I also tried testing the SCSI2SD 5.0a on the Blast City and it doesn't work at all anymore. Can't read the SD card or see any files in it. I even swapped SD cards with different ISO images and got nothing. Even testing it on the HAS which has always worked showed the same result. Not that I'll be using the SCSI2SD 5.0a anymore but interesting that suddenly I get nothing from it.
If it's one of those boards from ITEAD then you probably got a bad sdcard slot. Try pushing the SDCard in while you boot the board and see if it detects.

Some updates:

It hasn't been recapped but I did check the voltage at the JAMMA edge and it did seem low. Raised it to 5.02V and the board stayed on and functional. Played about 20 minutes and also rewrote a game with no issues. Everything worked great with the SCSI2SD 5.2.

Apologies for what was a very noob mistake: Always check the voltage. It was tolerated by all my other boards but the CPS3 Multi is a different beast. Thanks to @skate323k137 for the reminder.

So for now using a CPS3 Multi with a SCS2SD 5.2 board works in a Blast City cabinet provided that the voltage is as close to 5V as possible (as it should have always been). If I find anything new I'll be sure to update the thread. Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Thanks for confirming this all worked with the 5.2. I have a recapped Blast and a CPS3 with an UltraBIOS coming in next week, gonna order a 5.2 now. What size SD card is recommended?

Thanks for confirming this all worked with the 5.2. I have a recapped Blast and a CPS3 with an UltraBIOS coming in next week, gonna order a 5.2 now. What size SD card is recommended?
You just need to fit a CD image, so 1GB should be sufficient, but using a 2 or 4 GB sandisk should also work just fine.

Anybody ever come across this error before?

Pmyka6pl.jpg

This was all working properly prior to putting it in storage and then I took out the cps3 to test and this has occurred.

My SCSI2SD card is a 5.0a and these are the settings I've got for the device

xtC0se2l.jpg

MAQNZL7l.jpg

I think I've updated it with every setting known to man - "enable scsi terminator", "enable parity - not checked", "SCSI ID 0 and 1" but all yield the same message.

I've re-written to two different mirco sd cards with the same results.

I use HDD Raw to create the image on the micro SD (source = custom sh2 iso, target = micro sd card)

JFbJDMll.jpg

This has been done multiple times and I'm completely out of ideas, so if anybody else has suggestions, please let me now. Is it possible that my scsi2sd is faulty after working for days and then being put in storage?

Do the LEDs light up on the SCSI2SD?

EDIT: I have the green board SCSI2SD. When I have it connected and I turn the cab on, the orange light blinks three times.

Out of curiosity has anyone tried a RaSCSI? I feel like it would work pretty well but I no longer have any CPS3 to test.

Do the LEDs light up on the SCSI2SD?

EDIT: I have the green board SCSI2SD. When I have it connected and I turn the cab on, the orange light blinks three times.

My one gradually turns orange and then just stays orange.

That's a massive PITA. I only bought this in December!

How does one remove the card slot? I can't seem to figure it out.
If you look at my twitter post picture I did not remove the whole slot, I mearly desoldered the two tabs on the shield in the front. I bent the shield up to expose the pins, not so much to damage it just enough to reach and retouch the pins with solder.

Yep. Cool. I understand - desolder the front two, lift and get to the pins..

I can't believe I have to do this, 3 months after my purchase of the scsi2sd :(

Thank you!

That was a repair I wasn't really prepared or capable of... I lost the spring and took me about 5 mins to try and figure out the little plastic thing.

I managed to fit the plastic back and soldered the shielding back in place after reflowing the contacts.

To my surprise, I get the selection screen each time now! Woooo!!

I don't have the spring retract any longer for the card, but I'm OK with that.

J4JYSeI.jpg

Glad to see this thread is alive and well, I just picked up a CPS3 but the disk drive is broken. Unfortunately everywhere seems to be OOS for scsi2sd of any revision so the timing isn't very good. Looks like there are alternatives but caveats aside they aren't yet ideal? is that what I gather from the previous posts or is there a community endorsed solution?

The SCSI2SD is ideal for speed. The BlueSCSI, a more community project, doesn't seem to have the speed abilities.

The SCSI2SD creators just announced AzulSCSI and despite the name confusion (its not from the BlueSCSI team) it looks like it will be a very fast and user friendly device that uses primarily SCSI2SD code and the BlueSCSI file image naming convention instead of having to DD ISOs to an SD.

I just picked up a CPS3 but the disk drive is broken. Unfortunately everywhere seems to be OOS for scsi2sd of any revision so the timing isn't very good. Looks like there are alternatives but caveats aside they aren't yet ideal? is that what I gather from the previous posts or is there a community endorsed solution?
We do have some stock on SCSI2SD V5.0c and V5.5 boards right now, but you're otherwise correct; We don't have stock on SCSI2SD V5.2's, simply because the manufacturer hasn't been able to supply the necessary semiconductors in nearly a year. We were therefore left with no choice but to pivot, and develop a new product, which was based on microcontrollers we could actually buy. The situation isn't much better with SCSI2SD V6 hardware either, as the FPGA used has been unobtanium for quite some time as well, due to the ongoing electronics component shortages, which are expected to last well in to 2023, and possibly even 2024.

AzulSCSI represents a fusion of SCSI2SD's very mature and fully-functional SCSI command handling codebase, but employs a fundamentally different configuration paradigm, which uses a images/ISOs represented as files. AzulSCSI's CD-ROM emulation is extremely straightforward to use. All you need to do is take an ISO or raw image file, put it on a FAT32 or exFAT-formatted SD card, of any size, with a file name that begins with "CDx.iso", where X is a unique SCSI ID between 0-7.

Performance-wise, AzulSCSI fits in-between SCSI2SD V5 and SCSI2SD V6. In effectively all scenarios, it's faster than SCSI2SD V5, but not as fast as V6.

Mechanically, the full-sized AzulSCSI board dimensions are identical to that of V5.1/V5.2/V6, meaning any SCSI2SD mounting solution for these boards will work equally well with AzulSCSI.

We're confident the AzulSCSI will work well with the CPS3. If you buy one and find it doesn't work for you, we'd be happy to either work with you to diagnose why, or give you a full refund, with return shipping on us.

You can learn more about AzulSCSI at https://azulscsi.com, including where they can be purchased. Just as with SCSI2SD, the AzulSCSI firmware is open source, GPLv3-licensed code, which there's a link to on the AzulSCSI website.

Attachments

• AzulSCSI V1.1 GreenPAK NoBerg.JPG
    AzulSCSI V1.1 GreenPAK NoBerg.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 71
Back