What's new
Question for the creator (thank you!) : When I have the unit powered on and power up a CPS3 board, it can't seem to sync up. Turning the scaler on after booting the board always works. Minor quirk, but just wanted to ask if this is a known issue?

CPS3 is connected to a HAS with the video set to output TTL sync. I have the sim card for the A1 configured for TTL as well.

That's not a known issue, latest firmware? Only thing I can think of is if the CPS3 outputs something weird during it's startup that confuses the scaler somehow.
If you start the scaler with rsa1debug.txt file on the SD card, it will log what it sees.

I haven't tried my X68000 with it yet - I'll try it out in the next day or two and will report back.

As for console and arcade PCB compatibility, once I got a good connection solution in place for it the Retro Scaler A1 has handled nearly everything I've thrown at it without issues - it looks great and doesn't introduce any lag. The only glitch I've seen is that when I run Sega Master System games through a Model 1 Sega Genesis, there is occasional vertical roll. I haven't dug into that further to see if it's something specific to my Genesis console, but the native 16 bit games all work fine with it.
Looking at potentially getting one of these for my X68000. Did you ever get a chance to test it out with the X68k?

Last time I tested it x68000 worked fine. Also another computer that can be added to the list, Amiga 1200! Both 50 & 60 hz work fine through a buffered db23 -> VGA port adapter.

Also an update to older tests: it appears my MSX 2 now works fine with the retro scaler a1. Likely it was due to the scart -> vga conversion I was using previously. I now use a sync slayer II and it works without issue.

Great stuff @sammargh, added x68000 and amiga 1200, moved MSX2 to working. The syncSlayer II is likely not needed if you can manage to get RGB + sync directly to the A1, the A1 has the same ISL59885 the sync slayer use.

I was messing around with the MiSTer's "Direct Video" HDMI output thru a generic HDMI->VGA converter hooked up to a ViewSonic A90f CRT VGA monitor I have, but for whatever reason it wouldn't work reliably (picture keeps blacking out every second or two). This was using the MiSTer's normal "scandoubled" setting meant for 31khz VGA monitor output. No idea why my monitor wasn't happy with the signal, I even tried another HDMI->VGA convertor and it didn't work (I'm sure this was a solvable problem but I got tired of trying to make it work).

Anyway, long story short, I set the MiSTer's "Direct Video" output back to raw 15khz signal and just used the Retro Scaler A1 for line doubling to my VGA monitor and it works perfectly! :) I know you shouldn't need a device like this for this kind of setup, but for whatever reason I couldn't get the MiSTer to play nice with my vga monitor so it was nice I could at least get it working with the Retro Scaler A1. :) (I didn't buy the Retro Scaler for this reason, but since I have one it was nice to see it solve this problem)

Question for the creator (thank you!) : When I have the unit powered on and power up a CPS3 board, it can't seem to sync up. Turning the scaler on after booting the board always works. Minor quirk, but just wanted to ask if this is a known issue?

CPS3 is connected to a HAS with the video set to output TTL sync. I have the sim card for the A1 configured for TTL as well.
What cable did you use to connect the HAS to A1?

Is there any chance we may get 24khz upscaling in the future? I would love to get one of these and use it as an upscaler for Sega Model 1/2 upscaled to 1024x768.

Hi - I second this and would be happy to donate towards it. The A1 is fantastic in 15 khz and would love to see it work it's magic on 24 khz as well.

Would third this. I have some 24K stuff I'd rather play at 31K if I can.
It probably wouldn't be able to do an upscale to 31k if it's a simple line double. 24khz line doubled would give you 48khz, which is 1024x768 XGA resolution. This is still useful to play 24khz games on PC monitors, both LCD and CRT.

OSSC can do this 24 khz wizardry and it looks ok, but the jitter on all sources is nuts compared to what the A1 does with 15 khz.

Nothing even comes close to how clean the output on A1 is. It's better than true 15 khz in my opinion thanks the higher vertical refresh.

Fair point about it actually being 768/XGA, thc mentioned that too. I dunno why I thought 31K magic was gonna happen given that this is a line doubler, lol.

That said, it would still be useful for some displays, including the ones I would probably be using it on. Fingers crossed!

Back