What's new
pick n mix already does that for you.

Great project - would be amazing to add the missing games .. or even just some of them!

Today I've stick with menu. Wrote a program that patches the Original menu, adding/replacing new games there.
Also was written tool that compiles the game list and generates an a address matrix, new ROM dumps and verilog state machine for CPLD's.
Congratulations on accomplishing what I could not. :D:D
Another possible approach for reprogramming the flash chips is to use JTAG, which may be hard with such an old CPLD chip (the version of Quartus that supports this chip runs on XP :|)

With the "Stilt Chips" being as weird as they are, a drop in replacement doesn't exist. Maybe if the address lanes were split over two flash memory chips like the MSP55LV100S ones are?

Congratulations on accomplishing what I could not. :D:D
Thank you, I'm still interested in this project, and time will tell where it will come. maybe the Chinese will release a new cartridge with updated content, and maybe I myself will be able to create a cheap alternative to expensive flash sd cartridges.

JTAG is intended for programming cpld. quartus 13 works fine for me under windows 11 - no problem with it. the problem is that some of the flash chips pins are tied to the ground or vcc, and must be controlled from the outside. it is very difficult to cut the traces there, since sometimes there are no traces - the pin is tied to the polygon.

as long as the Chinese have stocks of MSP55LV100S and F0095H0 we have the opportunity to use them to create cheap cartridge systems up to $100. I think it's worth taking advantage of it.

Alternatively you could just try contacting the firms making these and ask for a sample with your files on... does everyone win then?

Thank you, I'm still interested in this project, and time will tell where it will come. maybe the Chinese will release a new cartridge with updated content, and maybe I myself will be able to create a cheap alternative to expensive flash sd cartridges.
Best way to make people copy you, is to be successful and open source :)

I'm really in awe of this project and all the effort people put in and what was already achived! :)

Last edited:
Alternatively you could just try contacting the firms making these and ask for a sample with your files on... does everyone win then?
I can't do this yet. None of the sellers on Ali gives any contacts.

You probably need to use Alibaba and request quote/sample

Reverse engineering the 161 in 1 cartridge to replace some of the games with better ones is a possibility, but it may not be feasible for everyone. It would require technical expertise, time, and effort. It's unclear if anyone has already done it, but it's worth noting that modifying game cartridges may violate copyright laws. It's important to weigh the potential benefits against the risks before attempting any modifications.
FlV2rshWYAA2c1z.jpg

Reverse engineering the 161 in 1 cartridge to replace some of the games with better ones is a possibility, but it may not be feasible for everyone. It would require technical expertise, time, and effort. It's unclear if anyone has already done it, but it's worth noting that modifying game cartridges may violate copyright laws. It's important to weigh the potential benefits against the risks before attempting any modifications.

new user, first message? hootie hoooooo

And this is your first message? Chatgpt is that you?

cheap alternative to expensive flash sd cartridges
What you have achieved so far is amazing, well done sir.
But there is also a harware hurdle to overcome: those cartridges run 3.3V devices on 5V buses, therefore level shifters should be added.

At this point, I can successfully dump, erase, write, and verify all three flash chips: F0095H0 AKA stilt - (CV), MSP55LV100S (P), and JS28F512 (SM).
I've finished RE-tracing of the 161-in-1 V3 cartridge and creating definitions for the CPLD for Quartus. You can view the spreadsheet documents here.
I've (almost) finished a PC program that compiles dumps for all ROMs, patch menus, etc.
Now I'm starting to write the design of the CPLD's on the verilog. However, I still have a few questions and knowledge gaps to be resolved.
Stay tuned.

At this point, I can successfully dump, erase, write, and verify all three flash chips: F0095H0 AKA stilt - (CV), MSP55LV100S (P), and JS28F512 (SM).
I've finished RE-tracing of the 161-in-1 V3 cartridge and creating definitions for the CPLD for Quartus. You can view the spreadsheet documents here.
I've (almost) finished a PC program that compiles dumps for all ROMs, patch menus, etc.
Now I'm starting to write the design of the CPLD's on the verilog. However, I still have a few questions and knowledge gaps to be resolved.
Stay tuned.
this is so awesome! I couldnt help but order a mvs version 3 now :D. Please let me know if I can assist in any way.
I have a usb altera blaster that I can use and some other tools..

One issue that is still not clear to me is how to return to the game select menu.
Now in EACH game has a injected code in the vblank int. to check if the <start> button is pressed for 5 seconds, and if it is pressed, then a reset occurs with ID=0 (menu) for the CPLD's.
The disadvantage of this method is 1) the original game code is broken (unibios CRC check will not PASS). 2) the method uses user RAM and thus also breaks the original game.
Therefore, some games runs with glitches or may not work at all. I want to get away from this. But I still don't know how to do this without changing the game code.
Surely there is another way to intercept buttons.
Any ideas?

A, very simple idea, is to forgot the in game reset. Of course it's cool, but I prefer perfect games than a menu...

Some more ideas:
- it may not be the game to handle this but the bios
- maybe rerouting service menu to an in game reset

What would happen with the pic'n'mix option in the Unibios now?
I guess the game list is probably hard coded in the bios, but the game ID or 'slot' (for want of a better term) may work to start a new game.. and handle the menu/reset angle?

Back