What's new
If you do this manual edit on the patched p1 rom it should stop the extra story

at offset 0x10a7a you should see 0E6020011A603066, change it to 714E714E714E714E

However, I'm pretty positive there are going to be other issues further into the story sequence. Its getting beyond my skill set / free time to be able to track them all down. It maybe best to use the original patch and/or have someone else take a look.
Someone wanna give this a try, do the above edit and also this one to the patched p1 romat offset 0x1132c you should see 2D4A15604866, change it to 714E714E714E

This should at least fix the missing story bits at the end of the 3rd/6th stage.
At 0x1132C, I can see 2D4A15602A66 with your preview patched P1 rom CRC32 796DDC04 ; MD5 291181C777FC93FDA84CF6BE1F628E90.
I must have typo'd that byte, what you have is correct, replace that with the 714E714E714E.

at offset 0x10a7a you should see 0E6020011A603066, change it to 714E714E714E714E

However, I'm pretty positive there are going to be other issues further into the story sequence. Its getting beyond my skill set / free time to be able to track them all down. It maybe best to use the original patch and/or have someone else take a look.
Someone wanna give this a try, do the above edit and also this one to the patched p1 romat offset 0x1132c you should see 2D4A15604866, change it to 714E714E714E
This should at least fix the missing story bits at the end of the 3rd/6th stage.
At 0x1132C, I can see 2D4A15602A66 with your preview patched P1 rom CRC32 796DDC04 ; MD5 291181C777FC93FDA84CF6BE1F628E90.
I must have typo'd that byte, what you have is correct, replace that with the 714E714E714E.
Ok, patch done, gonna test. Thanx again.

I've done ips patches to apply to byteswapped samsho5_fe.cslot1_maincpu (8 MB P1 rom CRC32 8856D0AF).

Preview ack's 8 MB P1 rom CRC32 796DDC04 : it fixes the 1st story sequence loop after each battle and 2nd attract mode loop issue, but story cutscenes at the end of the stages 3 and 6 are missing.

Latest ack's 8 MB P1 rom CRC32 CCD0DB7A : it fixes the 1st story sequence loop after each battle and 2nd attract mode loop issue as above + adds the missing story cutscenes at the end of the stages 3 and 6.

* The only missing stuff is story cutscenes English translations when the game is set in Jap region with English language. Still in Jap region, a small bug appears in options mode if English language was set before. Edit : it seems the bug is there with all the 8 MB P1 roms, even P1 CRC32 8856D0AF.

Attachments

• samsh5fe_ack's_preview_P1_rom_796DDC04_patch.zip
    63 KB · Views: 558
  • samsh5fe_ack's_latest_P1_rom_CCD0DB7A_patch.zip
    63 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:

Someone wanna give this a try, do the above edit and also this one to the patched p1 rom
at offset 0x1132c you should see 2D4A15604866, change it to 714E714E714E

I also successfully applied these patches to the P1 rom from the version with the new logo and title screen from the Neo Geo Systems forums. Played it for a bit and it all seems to work great.

Thank you for all your work @ack !

Someone wanna give this a try, do the above edit and also this one to the patched p1 rom
at offset 0x1132c you should see 2D4A15604866, change it to 714E714E714E

It works flawlessly. 8 MB P1 rom CRC32 CCD0DB7A is OK about story cutscenes English translations in Euro/US regions. End of the 3rd and 6th stages story cutscenes are there and translated, see the pic below.

As said above, the only missing stuff is story cutscenes English translations when the game is set in Jap region with English language. Still in Jap region, a small bug appears in options mode if English language was set before, see the pic below. Edit : it seems the bug is there with all the 8 MB P1 roms, even P1 CRC32 8856D0AF.

Attachments

• samsh5fe_cut_scene.JPG
    samsh5fe_cut_scene.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 288
  • samsh5fe_config.JPG
    samsh5fe_config.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

It works flawlessly. 8 MB P1 rom CRC32 CCD0DB7A is OK about story cutscenes English translations in Euro/US regions. End of the 3rd and 6th stages story cutscenes are there and translated, see the pic below.
As said above, the only missing stuff is story cutscenes English translations when the game is set in Jap region with English language. Still in Jap region, a small bug appears in options mode if English language was set before, see the pic below.
To get the small bug in options mode with 8 MB P1 CRC32 CCD0DB7A : launch the game in US or Euro region in arcade mode until the first story sequence, then reset the game and launch it in jap region in arcade mode until the first story sequence, and at last, reset the game and launch it in jap region in console mode and go in options menu, the bug should appear.

Edit : it seems the bug is there with all the 8 MB P1 roms, even P1 CRC32 8856D0AF.

Nice find, so there are at least 2 known bugs. )

Last edited:

It works flawlessly. 8 MB P1 rom CRC32 CCD0DB7A is OK about story cutscenes English translations in Euro/US regions. End of the 3rd and 6th stages story cutscenes are there and translated, see the pic below.As said above, the only missing stuff is story cutscenes English translations when the game is set in Jap region with English language. Still in Jap region, a small bug appears in options mode if English language was set before, see the pic below.
To get the small bug in options mode with 8 MB P1 CRC32 CCD0DB7A : launch the game in US or Euro region in arcade mode until the first story sequence, then reset the game and launch it in jap region in arcade mode until the first story sequence, and at last, reset the game and launch it in jap region in console mode and go in options menu, the bug should appear.

Edit : it seems the bug is there with all the 8 MB P1 roms, even P1 CRC32 8856D0AF.

Nice find, so there are at least 2 known bugs. )
Thanks for the feedback. When I have time I will look at the japan bios with english language selected.

I had mostly given up on working on this because mame save states were giving me trouble and was having to play through 3/6 stages just to try and get debug info/test. I was able to get them working last night which made it possible to find/fix the 3/6 stages stuff pretty quick.

Is there story mode stuff at the end of the game and does that work? I'm not sure I can get that far.

Posting the IPS in this case may not be allowed as it will contain the pbin file which is being patched into the rom. @Darksoft?

A IPS file is just a patch file, is that correct? So you don't post any roms, only the changes needed or am I missing something here?

As part of applying my patch, SamuraiShodown5_FE.pbin gets written to the rom file. So the IPS is going to contain the contents of that file.

An ips patch is the difference between 2 files as a patch to apply.

Btw, in the case above it contains the differences from the code written by ack about pbin patch file applied.

For more security, I can remove them if needed.

Someone wanna give this a try, do the above edit and also this one to the patched p1 romat offset 0x1132c you should see 2D4A15604866, change it to 714E714E714EThis should at least fix the missing story bits at the end of the 3rd/6th stage.
Ok, patch done, gonna test. Thanx again.
I've done ips patches to apply to byteswapped samsho5_fe.cslot1_maincpu (8 MB P1 rom CRC32 8856D0AF).

Preview ack's 8 MB P1 rom CRC32 796DDC04 : it fixes the 1st story sequence loop after each battle and 2nd attract mode loop issue, but story cutscenes at the end of the stages 3 and 6 are missing.

Latest ack's 8 MB P1 rom CRC32 CCD0DB7A : it fixes the 1st story sequence loop after each battle and 2nd attract mode loop issue as above + adds the missing story cutscenes at the end of the stages 3 and 6.

* The only missing stuff is story cutscenes English translations when the game is set in Jap region with English language. Still in Jap region, a small bug appears in options mode if English language was set before. Edit : it seems the bug is there with all the 8 MB P1 roms, even P1 CRC32 8856D0AF.
Thank you very much for the contribution, I already applied the patch to the P1.bin but I still do not get the perfect logo, special still appears, the problem of the referrer was already solved after each battle but the perfect logo does not appear to me.

@Frikade You'd have to use the copy of the game that's had the 'Perfect' logo edited in. It's floating around in the thread over at Neo-Geo System.

what about a mvs cart. I have a 6 slot i would like to play it on.
Atomikwave will release MVS carts but without stickers nor artwork... shell + pcb + eeprom and basta for something like 100€ if i remember correctly...a guy called Format_c will deal with the artwork for the MVS. He is also on Ngs and he is making a lot of carts for SNES and MD without sacrifice too. He is good with the packaging, booklets, art and so.
oh cool thanks for info. where can i find his MD stuff I have a huge collection and recently been getting games that werent made for america

It works flawlessly. 8 MB P1 rom CRC32 CCD0DB7A is OK about story cutscenes English translations in Euro/US regions. End of the 3rd and 6th stages story cutscenes are there and translated, see the pic below.As said above, the only missing stuff is story cutscenes English translations when the game is set in Jap region with English language. Still in Jap region, a small bug appears in options mode if English language was set before, see the pic below.

I have the japan + console mode with english picked in options displaying english story text. I haven't be able to reproduce the 2nd bug with mame. Is it possible its an issue with your emulator? If your emulator supports it, look at memory address 10e015 when the corruption is happening. That location should contains the active language:

00 = japanese
01 = english
02 = spanish
03 = portuguese

If its none of those values it may explain the corrupt text.

Are they any other bugs?

Someone wanna give this a try, do the above edit and also this one to the patched p1 romat offset 0x1132c you should see 2D4A15604866, change it to 714E714E714EThis should at least fix the missing story bits at the end of the 3rd/6th stage.
I have the japan + console mode with english picked in options displaying english story text. I haven't be able to reproduce the 2nd bug with mame. Is it possible its an issue with your emulator? If your emulator supports it, look at memory address 10e015 when the corruption is happening. That location should contains the active language:

00 = japanese
01 = english
02 = spanish
03 = portuguese

Are they any other bugs?
Gonna check. It may be due to the emulator loader I use.

I guess memory adress shouldn't match MAME's. I use Kawaks and Nebula loader. Like MAME, they have debug mode, 68K disassembler, a memory hex editor with tabs (P1, P2, work ram, video ram, M1, palette, bios), and they can directly dump P1, P2 and apply/create ips patches.

I haven't found any other bugs yet. Fafangus posted a vid with a no sound issue in the previous topic page.

Last edited:

To get the small bug in options mode with 8 MB P1 CRC32 CCD0DB7A : launch the game in US or Euro region in arcade mode until the first story sequence, then reset the game and launch it in jap region in arcade mode until the first story sequence, and at last, reset the game and launch it in jap region in console mode and go in options menu, the bug should appear.Edit : it seems the bug is there with all the 8 MB P1 roms, even P1 CRC32 8856D0AF.
00 = japanese
01 = english
02 = spanish
03 = portuguese

Are they any other bugs?
Gonna check. It may be due to the emulator loader I use.
I guess memory adress shouldn't match MAME's. I use Kawaks and Nebula loader. Like MAME, they have debug mode, 68K disassembler, a memory hex editor with tabs (P1, P2, work ram, video ram, M1, palette, bios), and they can directly dump P1, P2 and apply/create ips patches.
The memory address should match since its the memory address of the neo geo / 68k cpu.

It's 00 with title screen written in English "Shodown".

I have noticed if I directly start the game after exiting the buggy options menu, I get the first story sequence and fall in an endless battle versus the same fighter.

Last edited:
Back