What's new

Kujako

Grand Master
Reaction score
Question, and forgive me if this is answered elsewhere. For a game that want's a secondary memory card, such as Soul Caliber 2. Is it just a stock PS2 memory card? Any special preparations etc?

Edit: Never mind, found the answer.... it's somewhat proprietary and can't be easily reproduced. Bah.

Question, and forgive me if this is answered elsewhere. For a game that want's a secondary memory card, such as Soul Caliber 2. Is it just a stock PS2 memory card? Any special preparations etc?
From what I understand, the second memory card is paired with the dongle. It works differently from a regular memory card. If you try to put the memory card into a ps2, it will say it’s unformatted.

@brizzo said it wasn't something he could reproduce.

I also asked @Mitsurugi-w if he could convert a dongle/key... I guess he can make the dongle/key part but not that memory card.

I just said "the hell with this" and got SC3 Arcade Edition (no funkie memory card required).
EUk7AhC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just said "the hell with this" and got SC3 Arcade Edition (no funkie memory card required).
If you're going to play SC3 then why not just use the Multi-Dongle?

I mean I ended up buying an original SC2 Dongle set so I can play conquest mode and then I have the Multi-Dongle for everything else.

If you're going to play SC3 then why not just use the Multi-Dongle?
Because now that I own Fighting Jam, SC3, and Dark Resurrection the only game left I give a shit about is SC2. ;)

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the multi dongle only act as one dongle at a time, having to be rewritten each time with a PC?
Yea no, that's not a multi dongle by definition, its a re-programmable dongle (that can't reprogram itself).

It not a multi, nope don't count sorry everybody. #don'tshootthemessenger #lanuguagematters

Conquest mode is pretty fun, but not for everyone. Seems like some care about it and some don’t. Plz don’t kill me :) I really enjoy conquest mode.

Also, I have an extra pair of soul calibur 2 (SC23)dongles and I’m planning on selling it. I already own a set and for me, I don’t need to have it. Same thing with some extra tekken 4 dongles.

@brizzo said it wasn't something he could reproduce.

I also asked @Mitsurugi-w if he could convert a dongle/key... I guess he can make the dongle/key part but not that memory card.

EUk7AhC.jpg
Hey, that SC3 dongle used to be mine! :)

I scanned it for cataloguing:

596CF437-EB84-42FC-8BF9-00435A2F72DC.jpeg

So just to be clear... is there any version of Soul Caliber 2 that does NOT need the secondary card?

is there any version of Soul Caliber 2 that does NOT need the secondary card?
Not that I'm aware of... But now that the keys to the magic gate are known perhaps we could finally make/forge one.

So just to be clear... is there any version of Soul Caliber 2 that does NOT need the secondary card?
You can try to play the game without the memory card. It’s not really required but conquest mode will be locked. In other words, the game will boot without the second memory card.

You can try to play the game without the memory card. It’s not really required but conquest mode will be locked

Ah, got it. Was getting to this screen and just assumed it was a dead stop until I translated it. Pressing P1 Start and P2 Start gets it to load. Problem is that key combo is ALSO used in my cab to switch boards....
IMG_0842.jpg

Wait? We have an official way to change games on 2x6?
I've been going to the service menu, ejecting/swapping the disc, powering the system down, swapping the memory cards and powering back on (its a pain in the balls).

*Side note*
I just replaced my disc drive with this brand new (hehe unopened original stock) LG GSA-4166B (manufacture date 2005).
CNkQDyl.png

Works perfectly with the three games I own/tested.
  • Tekken Dark Resurrection
  • Capcom Fighting Jam
  • Soul Caliber 3 (I'm told this isn't a good test subject as it will boot on just about any drive)
I decided to try this drive because The Guru's now very outdated 2x6 info page said...
LG GSA-4164B Super Multi DVD Drive (September 2005) - WORKING

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait? We have an official way to change games on 2x6?
I've been going to the service menu, ejecting/swapping the disc, powering the system down, swapping the memory cards and powering back on (its a pain in the balls).
... I didn't even know about the service menu. I've just been pressing eject on the DVD-ROM drive, swapping discs and then powering off to change cards. If I'm quick about it, I can swap cards before powering on and then eject and swap discs before it loads.

I’m not sure if it’s true but, if I remember correctly, there should be a disc revision that should skip the memory card check. I think it’s the first disc revision. Take the with a grain of salt though.

Back