What's new
So I did purchase the programmer already, and it should be here in a month or so. However, I have not yet preordered the new UltraSIMMS? I would like to get a set eventually but I don't currently have the $450 free to splurge on it. I was hoping to do enough SIMM programming to hopefully repay the programmer and eventually earn myself a set of SIMMS? The issue though, is it seems that the adapter I need comes with the SIMMs? Is there any way for me to get an adapter on loan to do the programming with? Or can I purchase an adapter without the UltraSIMMs?

I don't think I know anyone else in my local arcade group who is planning to buy the new SIMMs? Then I could just borrow theirs. Not many people will need the adapters. Maybe I can get the first person who's SIMMs I program to send me theirs?

You’re definitely going to want to be able to test your work after flashing, it would be advisable to try grab a setup yourself first prior to offering this service?

You’re definitely going to want to be able to test your work after flashing, it would be advisable to try grab a setup yourself first prior to offering this service?

I am getting my repro cart upgraded to the ultra bios now. I have several cps3 motherboards. I should be able to test the work that way? Yes the ideal way would be to get my own set of UltraSIMMs, but like I said I don't know if I can swing that right now. If it's a requirement then I guess I will have to hold out on offering the service, but I don't see why I couldn't do it without owning it myself.

Here's one question... Is what you burn to the simms different based on the SH2? Like if i have a standard SH2 repro cart that I am going to use, will I be able to burn SIMMs for people with a custom SH2? and be able to test it? Do I need to get a second UltraBIOS cart that is the custom SH2 variant?

ah, it slipped my mind the custom BIOS came out. Maybe @Darksoft can confirm it will work that way?

Here's one question... Is what you burn to the simms different based on the SH2? Like if i have a standard SH2 repro cart that I am going to use, will I be able to burn SIMMs for people with a custom SH2? and be able to test it? Do I need to get a second UltraBIOS cart that is the custom SH2 variant?
Instructions will be posted soon, but if you have a custom SH2 the content of Simms 1 & 2 is different. The other simms (3 to 6) is the same.

ok, so this means that to test the UltraSIMMs before sending them out you do need both sh2 variant cartridges. I will need to have a dead cart revived as UltraBIOS in the near future.

Actually @Darksoft — is the new UltraBIOS “custom” BIOS compatible with writing regular SIMMs?

I’m assuming the regular BIOS will be fine, but NoCD won’t function the same with regards to writing?

So... We need both the Standard and Custom SH2 carts to be able to test our work before sending it out... What about the difference between cd and nocd bios? Do we actually need 4 carts to be able to test every permutation for our customers? Or is the data the same on the simms for cd and nocd and the cart is the only difference?

Data is different on the two dual bank SIMMs, BIOS version dependant.

It’s not required to test the work, if it verifies and writes, it should be just fine.

Testing just saves the possibility of something going wrong.

Data is different on the two dual bank SIMMs, BIOS version dependant.

It’s not required to test the work, if it verifies and writes, it should be just fine.

Testing just saves the possibility of something going wrong.

Agreed - I was going to ensure that the verify worked properly and send the flash chips back to whomever sent them to me. I wasn't going to invest in multiple carts to fully test.

Matt

Roger that. I will use my one standard sh2 cart to test the burn/verify process once and if it works as expected I will trust that the SIMMs are being programmed correctly for others. We'll see pretty quickly if it ends up being a problem with that assumption.

The ProMan is very good. I’ve never had a bad flash at all. Using the “Smart Key” option ensures its erased, flashed and verified. Doubtful much can go wrong!

Perhaps people offering the service can list the carts they have also so if there’s a chance, people could find a match with standard/custom BIOS owners?

If you need I can do program it, I have one TL86 and I succesed to program my own SIMMS.

Back