What's new
And the PAL dumps were a bit sneaky too. They used to be all over the place but even the jammacade links were down. After an hour of intense googling...
CPS2 PAL dumps ready to be written to a GAL in the zip

Attachments

• CPS2 PAL dumps.zip
    7.1 KB · Views: 118
Hi ! I am converting a Vamp Sav 2 CPS2 to Giga Wing, so far so good. What puzzles me, are the jumper settings:
According to the xls on side 1 both games have the same jumpers*

But the jumpers 5+6 on the Vamp Sav 2 from the factory board are SO and not OS.

What exactly are those jumpers 5+6 for? Are these values in the xls wrong?

Thank you

Giga Wing(PAL G)SOOS_OS_OSOSOS_SOSOSOSO_SOSOSOSO
Vampire Savior 2(PAL G)SOOS_OS_OSOSOS_SOSOSOSO_SOSOSOSO

Update: Everything is working absolutely perfect w/o changing jumper 5+6, so xls seems to be wrong with OS,
since its working with SO.

On a side note, amazing how accurate groovymame is regarding slowdowns. Cheers

So, the day before yesterday I burned the Alien vs Predator eproms onto a PCB I had left over.

The PCB was with a PAL-D, I was going to find a GAL16V8 in my things later to burn a PAL-B but to my surprise the Alien vs Predator is working perfectly with the PAL-D, I'll see if I can finish the game and notice if any problems appear, but so far I've played until the 4th stage and everything is perfect.

I'm going to test more games that use PAL-B with PAL-D in the future just to see what happens with other games.

Hey guys! First wanted to thank everyone for the contributions on this thread. It gave me the confidence in trying to dive into a conversion I have. Running into a few issues and wanted some guidance on what to try next.

Long story short. Converted my confirmed working infinikeyed COTA to (Official Roms) Street Fighter Zero 2 with partial success.

Issues: Jail bar lines and partial sounds only.

Sounds confirmed working: Q sound screen, coin sound, character cursor movements, Ken stage, Sodom stage, some Aukma moves. Others work when going through the sound test but the majority are missing.

Trouble shooting log:

Tested on 2 different confirmed working A borads- same results

Reseated gfx roms and daughter board - same results

Checked my jumpers for correct continuity - confirmed- same results

Reseated sound roms- Both main and Q sound - checked mono jamma and stereo rca- same results

Tried both the PAL D and an F as it's also compatible- same results.

My gfx issues I assume are coming from the daughter board as upon close inspection, I have some broken traces and possible cold solder joints. Going to reflow the suspect area next. The broken trace feels WAY out of experience level and has me spooked.

The sound issue has me stumped. I need help on this one.

I attached pics for context.

Any help you guys can provide or suggest is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230910_214307.jpg
    20230910_214307.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230910_214315.jpg
    20230910_214315.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230923_213741.jpg
    20230923_213741.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230919_204810.jpg
    20230919_204810.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 53
Hey guys! First wanted to thank everyone for the contributions on this thread. It gave me the confidence in trying to dive into a conversion I have. Running into a few issues and wanted some guidance on what to try next.

Long story short. Converted my confirmed working infinikeyed COTA to (Official Roms) Street Fighter Zero 2 with partial success.

Issues: Jail bar lines and partial sounds only.

Sounds confirmed working: Q sound screen, coin sound, character cursor movements, Ken stage, Sodom stage, some Aukma moves. Others work when going through the sound test but the majority are missing.

Trouble shooting log:

Tested on 2 different confirmed working A borads- same results

Reseated gfx roms and daughter board - same results

Checked my jumpers for correct continuity - confirmed- same results

Reseated sound roms- Both main and Q sound - checked mono jamma and stereo rca- same results

Tried both the PAL D and an F as it's also compatible- same results.

My gfx issues I assume are coming from the daughter board as upon close inspection, I have some broken traces and possible cold solder joints. Going to reflow the suspect area next. The broken trace feels WAY out of experience level and has me spooked.

The sound issue has me stumped. I need help on this one.

I attached pics for context.

Any help you guys can provide or suggest is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If the number of mask roms is the same as a normal PCB, remove the mask roms and place them directly on the B board, it is easier than wasting time repairing broken traces.

for the sound problem, check jumpers 10 to 13, they must be SOSO, to be sure, test sockets 11 and 12, pin 32 must be connected to the 5V on the board.

If the mask roms were 32Mbit, the pin would be configured in the jumper to be an address.

Also check that eproms 1 and 2 are the same type that was previously on this board, jedec or not, if it is not the same type you will need to change jumpers 1 to 9

for the sound problem, check jumpers 10 to 13, they must be SOSO, to be sure, test sockets 11 and 12, pin 32 must be connected to the 5V on the board.

If the mask roms were 32Mbit, the pin would be configured in the jumper to be an address.

Also check that eproms 1 and 2 are the same type that was previously on this board, jedec or not, if it is not the same type you will need to change jumpers 1 to 9

Awesome. I will check all these items next and report back. The roms on the daughter board are soldered directly, so that maybe last resort territory. Also read something about the reason daughter boards were used was in relation to the rom type and size they had on hand. Or else the would have just put them on the b board??

I made a jumper calculator spreadsheet for those like me who make a mess and use what they have on hand and end up with a board with mixed 27c160 and 27c322 eproms.

spreadsheet finally corrected

I followed the cps2 scheme that is on the internet and it is wrong.

the order of the jumpers is inversely connected to the mask rom banks.

IC13 - jp20 - jp21
IC14 - jp19 - jp18
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
IC17 - jp29 - jp28
IC18 - jp27 - jp26

Attachments

• CPS2 JUMPER CALCULATOR.zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

@man1aco Ok, had a moment to check these items.

Jumpers 10 to 13 SOSO - Confirmed

Eproms 1 and 2 are Mitsubishi M5M27C100K- 15. Per the pinout I found they look to be NON jedec.

Sockets 11 and 12 are 42 pin. The COTA roms were MX23C1610. Pin 22 is the VCC. Did you want me check that pin for 5v? The SZ2 roms aren't labeled with anything I could find to cross reference.

Pics included for reference.

So immediate thought is I need to change my jumpers to Non jedec.

Attachments

• 20230929_220607.jpg
    20230929_220607.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230929_220536.jpg
    20230929_220536.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 42
@man1aco Ok, had a moment to check these items.

Jumpers 10 to 13 SOSO - Confirmed

Eproms 1 and 2 are Mitsubishi M5M27C100K- 15. Per the pinout I found they look to be NON jedec.

Sockets 11 and 12 are 42 pin. The COTA roms were MX23C1610. Pin 22 is the VCC. Did you want me check that pin for 5v? The SZ2 roms aren't labeled with anything I could find to cross reference.

Pics included for reference.

So immediate thought is I need to change my jumpers to Non jedec.

UPDATE: Upon further look, Eproms 1 and 2 are JEDEC, I don't believe I need to change the jumpers.

I can also confirm they are getting 4.96v. Enough to power the sound chips on another b board just fine.

Still need confirmation on the 42 pin mask rom type to check it. Pretty much back to square 1.

Is there any issue on Armored Warriors (Powered Gears) conversion?

I'm trying to make a convert for a friend and i have much weird issues:

Tried to burn the complete Phoenixed set (Eu version) and i had a Error screen

So, decided to make the conversion set: All roms are JP version, PRG roms on 27C4096 decrypted (Avalaunch).
The game only boot with a PAL G (tried F - D - B, black screen)

Now the game boots, sprites are all OK (Only 27C322 used) but the sound is broken. Made the strap between Pal G leg 9 and C13 à CN3

11 & 12 are 27C160 eproms

I have sound but some sound missing in menus, also there is a strident sound in game.

Any help please?
Thank you all

Hi ! I am converting a Vamp Sav 2 CPS2 to Giga Wing, so far so good. What puzzles me, are the jumper settings:
According to the xls on side 1 both games have the same jumpers*

But the jumpers 5+6 on the Vamp Sav 2 from the factory board are SO and not OS.

What exactly are those jumpers 5+6 for? Are these values in the xls wrong?

Thank you

Giga Wing(PAL G)SOOS_OS_OSOSOS_SOSOSOSO_SOSOSOSO
Vampire Savior 2(PAL G)SOOS_OS_OSOSOS_SOSOSOSO_SOSOSOSO
Jumpers JP1 to JP9 are to set type of eprom, JEDED or non JEDEC , what happens is that someone took reference from a board at his hands but capcom was free to use jedec or nom jedec by its own will, there is no rule that eproms 1 an 2 must be jedec or non jedec, so you must set the jumpers to what you have at your hands.

My bad, seems that I had messed up and wrote the XLS inverted jedec was nonjec.

Im uploading a new correct XLS

Last edited:
Back