What's new
Whats a Jassifier?
This
fjbCoZU.jpg

Is anyone using a 4K monitor with this they would recommend?
I would only recommend a 4K monitor to someone who was looking at mainly PS4/PC setup.

If you want JAMMA (OSSC), or OG JVS/VGA, 4K is overkill you'll never use...
At a premium price for 32" no less (but still cheaper than Taito's official 1080p replacement ironically).

1440p is the "sweet spot" for price vs functionality IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just reading some old posts in this thread and it sounds like Hadouken Arcade makes bezels too? Someone painted my monitor bezel gold for some reason and I would love to get a replacement. Is that the same one he makes?

Attachments

• vewlix33.jpg
    vewlix33.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 165
I was just reading some old posts in this thread and it sounds like Hadouken Arcade makes bezels too? Someone painted my monitor bezel gold for some reason and I would love to get a replacement. Is that the same one he makes?
I don't. The bezels are just discolored. Powder coating would fix the problem.

That bezel is discolored from years of cigarette smoke. You can clean a good amount of it off but will not be in like-new condition unless you repaint.

I may switch to 1440p from 1600x1200 for JAMMA but these are the exA resolutions:

Resolution: 480p, 720p, 768p, 1080p, 4K

https://exa.ac/product/exa-arcadia-hardware/

So I think 1440p would not be the right choice for this exA only cabinet.
I agree that a 4k monitor may be best for an exA-only Vewlix, but just wanted to mention that my 1440p LG 32GK850F-B (which is functionally identical to the popular 650 version many have purchased here) happily accepts a 4k signal from my ps4 pro and does a great job downscaling it to 1440. The picture is really fantastic and far surpasses a 1080p signal upscaled to 1440 on the same monitor. So while a 4k monitor will definitely beat it for an exclusively 4k cab, these awesome freesync LG 1440 monitors are very flexible. Something to keep in mind if there's any chance you want to use the cab for some legacy stuff as well (and save a bit of cash).

And don't forget the upcoming OSSC pro, which will line triple 480p and line 6x 240p to 1440. Should look awesome on a 1440 display--though it will certainly also look awesome on a 4k display.

Good luck with whatever you decide to install. Keep us updated.

Last edited:
6x into 1440p sounds awesome and I'll be looking to get an OSSC Pro and 1440p monitor when it comes out.

I want to try and optimize this cab for exA as much as possible. I'm not sure yet if that means I should get a 4K or 1080p display since I'm not sure if any of their games are actually 4K or if the hardware is just capable of supporting that res. If their HD games are mostly or all 1080p then I should get a 1080p instead of a 4K display.

Has anyone had luck with either a 1080p or a 4K monitor with this bracket or is everyone using 1440p?

I agree that a 4k monitor may be best for an exA-only Vewlix
Why would you think that? There will never be a 4K exa game. They will never target 4K for anything. It's a throwaway line on a spec sheet. It's an arcade platform that's targeting cabs that are lucky to even have 1080p. They don't have the hardware or the market for 4k, it's a waste of money.

Not trying to be argumentative here, but I don't understand the basis for giving someone that advice.

Go 1080p, nothing else makes any sense.

Has anyone had luck with either a 1080p or a 4K monitor with this bracket or is everyone using 1440p?
There is a 1080p monitor literally listed on the previous page of this thread. Just go back one page.

I agree that a 4k monitor may be best for an exA-only Vewlix
Why would you think that? There will never be a 4K exa game.
I mistakenly thought that existing exA games did support 4k. I certainly have no hands-on experience and gladly retract my suggestion that a 4k monitor may be best for an exA-only VLX. I definitely don't have a horse in this race and no prospects of getting an exA for myself, I just wanted to add the single data point that my 1440 LG accepts a 4k signal and looks good doing so. Good luck with whatever you decide @arcadeprojectsrocks.

There will never be a 4K exa game. They will never target 4K for anything. It's a throwaway line on a spec sheet. It's an arcade platform that's targeting cabs that are lucky to even have 1080p. They don't have the hardware or the market for 4k, it's a waste of money.
Pretty much. Looking to build a gaming PC in the future and did some research.

Short version:

- Very few PCs can do 4K at 60Hz using the highest settings for modern games. 144Hz is out of the question.
- For cutting edge gamers, it seems to be 4k at 60Hz OR 1440p at 144Hz.
- You can get better FPS by lowering graphics settings in 4K, but nobody wants to do that.
- The research seems to indicate that FOR MOST PC setups (distance from the screen, monitor size, etc), it is really hard to tell a difference between 4K and 1440p.
- 4K IS the future, but it will be years (5+) before you can max everything out above 60 FPS.

Conclusion: 1440p at 144Hz is probably the way to go for now. And even when the same performance is achievable in 4K, you'll be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

I had thought exA would do 4K too. I wonder if any of their games are 720p or 768p or if those resolutions are only supported by downscaling 1080p or upscaling their low res stuff.

I just saw the LG 32MN500M-B recommendation on the previous page. If anyone has another 1080p recommendation for the bracket please let me know.

Do you guys like the OSSC for Jamma? I was eyeing up the Irken Labs A1 scaler but wasnt sure which one would be better?

Do you guys like the OSSC for Jamma? I was eyeing up the Irken Labs A1 scaler but wasnt sure which one would be better?
The issue with the A1 is it was designed for low rez CRT users.
It supersamples internally, but at output its displaying analog 640x480 (VGA).

In today's world, with our beautiful 1440p and 4k screens... Analog 480p is hot fucking garbage (no offence to the designer).
You want digital/HDMI OSSC for 5x 1600x1200 mode, or 4x 1080p mode if you lack a 1200p capable monitor.

You don't want 5x 1080p because it cuts off some vert height/lines, which btw is why the CPS1/2/3 digital-to-digital mod fucking sucks...
It only can do the cropped 1080p 5x mode, so while it maybe digital-to-digital the scale is inferior to a real OSSC (also see my thoughts on why you don't place scalers inside consoles PERIOD).

If you have a Sega New Net City, yea get a Jammafier+A1.
If you have a Taito Vewlix (with freesync LCD) get a Jammafier+Jassifier+OSSC. ;)

A most awesome combo (Jammafier+Jassifier+OSSC)!
dVabfya.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back