What's new
I have spent 0 time working on this, been going back and forth with a company in china with my KI project. Basically what needs to happen is 1 of 2 things:
1. Someone buys a bulk order of custom made CF cards that meet the security requirements of the game. (I looked into this I need $2500.00 to start order)
2. Someone removes the security check from the boot rom allowing any drive to work. ( Good for the community, bad for whoever puts the effort in since everyone will just copy and sell on ebay)

This project is still on my list, but not on the top unfortunately.

maybe option3
use a sata adapter and an ssd,
some can have the reported data edited with utility's

Yes this is also possible , the guys who made the chihiro SSD could do it with sorta the same concept

maybe option3
use a sata adapter and an ssd,
some can have the reported data edited with utility's
I can imagine you are probably busy with other projects as well as everyone else but If you are up for it, I wouldn't mind contributing (in whatever way I can) for you to be able to test your theory out.

You seem like you have some really good ideas on this and I as well as others would be grateful to have this game running again.

Let me know how I can help out

the biggest problem is i cant find anything in mame that is forcing anything.
i need to break it to fix it! :D

i assume it must be something in the actual chd - i'll try decompressing it and re-packing it.
if that wont break it then i'll write it to a memory card and then read it back.

i just hope it really is protection, and not lazy coding using fixed geometry!!

my dual-core runs mame real slow though - so shit takes time!
and my current project is an arduino based reel simulator for booting pachi-slot or fruit-machine boards without getting motor error.

the biggest problem is i cant find anything in mame that is forcing anything.
i need to break it to fix it! :D

i assume it must be something in the actual chd - i'll try decompressing it and re-packing it.
if that wont break it then i'll write it to a memory card and then read it back.

my dual-core runs mame real slow though - so shit takes time!
and my current project is an arduino based reel simulator for booting pachi-slot or fruit-machine boards without getting motor error.
Woah! Damn nice!

That would be awesome if you could find where to patch or manipulate the code for the mame file for sure! :thumbsup:

Like I mentioned before, I have no problem contributing some cash for your efforts.

Also, now that you mentioned the reel bypass, I've got a Naomi 2 Club Kart Prize game that won't boot because of that exact issue. I would be interested in seeing your work on this one too in the future. Maybe reflashing a ton on the cart so it skips the check? Lol

So many awesome projects going on everyday on this AP site that it's hard to keep up with all the coolness.

One thing at a time though I suppose. ^^
Let me know though if you come across any breakthroughs, or if you need a tester or some help in any way @stj

It is protected in multiple parts of the code within the boot loader and executable stored in the chd

It is protected in multiple parts of the code within the boot loader and executable stored in the chd
Is this just one of those arcade games where Midway devs wanted to make sure it could never be repaired again once the HDD dies? Lol

@brizzo congrats on your Crystal system multi btw

Is this just one of those arcade games where Midway devs wanted to make sure it could never be repaired again once the HDD dies? Lol

Crystal hype! thanks

Forced obsolescence has been part of product designers for a long, long time. I had previously went down the same path as SummittArcade on configuring a custom DOM, but hes hit the price road block which doesnt make much economic sense. I have another solution in mind but had held back because he seemed interested to solve it. ekorz donated a pcb set for me to work on solving a solution as well so this will be solved at some point :D

Crystal hype! thanks
Forced obsolescence has been part of product designers for a long, long time. I had previously went down the same path as SummittArcade on configuring a custom DOM, but hes hit the price road block which doesnt make much economic sense. I have another solution in mind but had held back because he seemed interested to solve it. ekorz donated a pcb set for me to work on solving a solution as well so this will be solved at some point :D
8o :!:
Don't hold back!! Let those creative ideas run wild!
Lol. Honestly though, I know at least a dozen people on here who are looking for a solution to this mystery board for sure.

Who would have thought that all this protection would go into WarGods. Almost like adding over encryption to Burning Rival :/

strange they would go to so much trouble for a pcb that afaik only plays the one game!

Most likely they thought the game was going to be super popular and they were going to use the hardware for other games... and then neither happened.

well if the problem is protection and not lazy programming with fixed geometry then it should be doable.

step1: break the emulation by making a generic chd,
step2: slowly use the debugger to find all the places it checks/hangs.
step3? find all the places it checks to see if you patched anything?? :D

if your lucky they may have been lazy and copy/pasted the check routine so you can search for a byte-sequence once you know it!

well if the problem is protection and not lazy programming with fixed geometry then it should be doable.

step1: break the emulation by making a generic chd,
step2: slowly use the debugger to find all the places it checks/hangs.
step3? find all the places it checks to see if you patched anything?? :D

if your lucky they may have been lazy and copy/pasted the check routine so you can search for a byte-sequence once you know it!
Im not going to lie, this process is a bit behind me so I'm unable to do it but really hoping "someone" can complete this :D .
First person to accomplish this not only get some money for a couple of orders by not only me but others but also another notch on their belt to say, "Yeah, I cracked that code" lol.

Just trying my best to motivate here....
That's all I can do at this point :rolleyes:

I haven't followed the entire discussion so maybe I'm missing the point.
I have a friend who is running Wargods from a SATA SSD (with adapter). Is it of any interest?

please ask them how they created the ssd image and what version bootrom they have.

Back