What's new
I saw I got a mention. I've been using Dreamcast PSUs for over 10 years now. They're cheap, plentiful, easy to wire up, and ultra-reliable:

naomi1.jpg

naomi3.jpg
naomi4.jpg
can you please show me how to use my spare dreamcast psu with naomi2 ? which adapters do i need please?

I saw I got a mention. I've been using Dreamcast PSUs for over 10 years now. They're cheap, plentiful, easy to wire up, and ultra-reliable:

naomi1.jpg

naomi3.jpg
naomi4.jpg

Hi @rancor can you break down the wiring details and necessary parts to make this work with Naomi? I have a spare DC Power supply that I would love to utilize here.

Hi folks! I wanted to ask for opinions on a possible ATX Sun PSU replacement. NewEgg has the ARESGAME 500W 80+ Bronze Certified PSU (AGV500) on sale for $39.95. Cables included.

Amazon has it @550W TP for $29.99. https://www.amazon.com/ARESGAME-Sup...cphy=9004503&hvtargid=pla-1210047872589&psc=1

Rated for +5V +3.3V

Does this meet the requirements to power a NAOMI2 + NetDIMM & either a Sega JAMMA to JVS or Capcom equivalent?

The Sun PSUs are often repairable when they go bad, so long as it is not a catastrophic failure. I would consider that to be plan A, personally.

@twistedsymphony did a piece on recapping these: http://solid-orange.com/1465
I quote this knowing damn well I should recap and replace the fan in at least 1 or 2 of my Sun PSU's that I haven't serviced, but....

Just kicking around ideas, does anyone know of a suitable PSU that fits within the footprint of the Sun? The idea here is for me to be able to drop a new PSU into my Net Cities. I would think a couple options;

- A meanwell or small ATX (I am very behind on computer building) that is smaller than the SUN and could mounted with a home-made bracket, and appropriate pins/housings crimped on

- A PSU small enough to fit within a SUN enclosure, for people with completely dead SUN PSUs, where you can rip out the PCB, replace the fan, use the existing harnesses, put in the new unit, and call it a day.

Honestly I think both are worth looking at, at least casually.

Just kicking around ideas, does anyone know of a suitable PSU that fits within the footprint of the Sun? The idea here is for me to be able to drop a new PSU into my Net Cities. I would think a couple options;
it's only a few years newer but a Sega Lindbergh PSU will drop (dimensionally) into a Net City, Sega even sold them with a horizontal mount and wiring adapter to make it drop in.

I've pretty much got rid of all my NAOMI PSUs and replaced them with Lindberghs at this point.

it's only a few years newer but a Sega Lindbergh PSU will drop (dimensionally) into a Net City, Sega even sold them with a horizontal mount and wiring adapter to make it drop in.

I've pretty much got rid of all my NAOMI PSUs and replaced them with Lindberghs at this point.
Yeah, one of my net cities actually came to me that way. Nice power supplies.

I still would love to get something that wasn't manufactured so long ago to begin with though. Recapped is fine for now, but thinking long term.

I wouldn't be surprised, though do any of the meanwell supplies have a connector like that? it seems to map to the JVS pinout pretty well.

I think the point of the question was to determine the manufacturer of the PSU that Sanwa is selling under their name
Not from Mean Well but @dewmansnk makes a great interface PCB for the Mean Well QP-150-3A making it a drop in replacement for JVS cabinets.
that looks like an interesting solution but that pinout looks like it's Vewlix/AWSD specific not generic JVS, unless there is another board variant I'm not seeing?

Was gonna suggest the same, the QP-150-3A is a nice supply that should cover all your needs in a cab.

Correct. It is built for Sanwa though, you won't find one with a Mean Well badge on it.

As a matter of fact...

...one of mine has Mean Well's logo etched onto the bottom of the case. I have two other ones that don't have any Mean Well markings. This is actually how I came to realize these are just rebadged Mean Well power supplies.

Attachments

• sanwa_mean_well.jpg
    sanwa_mean_well.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 101
Back