What's new
I'm just going to nuke the drive and start over.

I'm not able to see much of anything to even attempt getting into task manager, etc.

Appreciate the help!
Im stuck with the exact same issue here - I tried to 'enable windows interface' to check where my Roms were installed - as none were being populated even though i copied them into the Groovy/roms folder - but it rebooted into a nothing screen. Im able to press tab, but the 'u' menu no longer works
I can ctrl/alt/del to get a task manager so i might need to try going that route and manually running the d:\attract\scripts\backout.cmd

If that works though - how to you get back into attract mode?

I basically nuked it and started over. Once you copy the roms over, you have to compile the gamelist. Ever since then everything has been working great.

I basically nuked it and started over. Once you copy the roms over, you have to compile the gamelist. Ever since then everything has been working great.
re-imaged the HDD again using the Rufus usb?

Re the ROMs, yea I went into the 'u' menu and scanned for roms, but it returned a 0 result, hence I was trying to double check the folder path was the same as the default showing in the Groovymame interface and thats where it broke.

I'll attempt to see if I can get the task manager to do anything, and then may try to reimage the HDD again

The above loading into the task manager worked to get out, and moved the ROMs into the correct folder.

I've got ROMs to load but now they just produce a white screen when I select them?

These were all working in my previous build that the power supply died, (re used/ copied the same rom files over to this new build)

Has anyone used this on relatively modern hardware?

I'm trying to use this with an ASRock Deskmeet x300. It's an AM4 mobo.

I'm getting the 0x0..7B BSOD. The thing is I only have an NVMe drive. I completely disabled the SATA controller. I think I need to try to find NVMe drivers, if they even exist.

Edit: After looking around a bit it would seem that you cant legacy boot windows 7 using an NVMe drive. Is there a reason this image isn't UEFI? Could it be updated to UEFI with the NVMe updates installed? I believe NVMe support is in KB2990941 and KB3087873.

Edit 2: I switched to a SATA SSD and I'm now able to boot and get into the setup. Keyboard and mouse don't work though. I can't tell if it's crashed or not, I don't think so. I'm going to try the image with alternate USB drivers from this post: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/windows-7-read-only-groovymame-image.13415/post-391511

Edit 3: That didn't work either. Probably just time to use Windows 10.

Last edited:
The image was built with cheap legacy hardware in mind, I run Dell Optiplex SFF machines, gen 4 i5 and they run everything really nicely, you can pick them up on eBay in the UK for around £40 now

Yeah I think its easy to forget just how old Windows 7 is. I may just look around for an old Dell and repurpose this build for something else.

I had a lot of trouble going through the wizard but I've got everything working.

During the initial setup I was using a 1080p lcd monitor connected with vga. When switching to 15khz mode in the wizard, my lcd is picked up as a secondary display right before shutdown. When starting it back up with only the crt connected, the resolution is too high and not displayed properly.

The setup wizard created a 15khz display but then my crt is recognized as a new third display. I suspect something went wrong with vmmaker or just the order of operations. Either way after connecting my crt and lcd to hdmi, i was able to finagle everything to get it working. I may try the full process again just to test it. I'm positive I've followed every step exactly, so I'm not sure what went wrong. I think windows is doing something unintentional with the displays and auto setting resolutions.

Edit: I figured out the problem. It is using the dvi port as the primary monitor, not the VGA port. So everything works as expected when using a dvi to VGA adapter. I wonder if I can set up the VGA port to work as a clone easily enough.

Edit 2: Fiddling around with vmmaker I was able to get the VGA port configured the same as the DVI port, and set the windows display settings to clone.

Edit 3: Clone only works for windows and attract mode. Seems like mame only works on one monitor and I can't find much about it. I don't think it's worth the headache over using a VGA splitter.

Last edited:
Has anyone updated to the latest groovymame? It looks like this has .220 and the latest is .258.

Also, when I generate the collection in attract mode it seems to double everything. Like for example, turtles will show up as "tmnt" and "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". It also picks up bios files.

Overall though this has been great to use. I know most of my posts have been troubleshooting and complaining but it's really all worked out in the end and I never would've bothered to round out an installation like this. Thanks @chunksin

Thanks for your work here @chunksin , I hope you and everyone here doesn’t mind if I share my experience , please forgive the long post but wanted to provide as much info as possible.

First donor was optiplex 9020. Went well up until the initial win7 is setting up and I got stuck with no usb 2.0 front or rear ports working. Hence couldn’t use a mouse or keyboard
I got around this by plugging in a ps/2 mouse and rebooting so it was recognised and then navigating to the “ease of access button and enabled the on screen keyboard. But I still didn’t have a way to update my drivers by a usb stick. (Optical drive might have worked at this point with the USB drivers on it, but thought of that after the fact).

Gave in at this point and tried an optiplex9010. It did well and the front and rear usb was available when setting the win7 front end up. I was relieved but a bit dissatisfied in myself that I didn’t have the smarts to get the 9020 going, got quite a few spares of these systems and would love to use them as donors for groovymame in the future.

One thing I didn’t realise here was , when preparing the initial fresh SSD for the groovymame image I needed to set its drive letter to “D:” (I’d set it to “G:” (you know G for groovymame 🤷) otherwise the chunksin installer wouldn’t be able to find its files for its install process . It was easily rectified by changing the drive letter but just thought I’d mention it.

So with the 9010, I installed drivers/ chipsets etc and proceeded with the auto installation, it went well and I got to the part to plug the jpac’s vga in and go to 15k on the arcade monitor.

Well it was very hard to see win7 at this point and quite blurred on text, but I managed to complete the setup.
Here’s where my real question lies about the whole process from here forward.

The instantsheller.
With the above blurred display, I couldn’t quite see that I had to browse to attract.exe (I did see it was auto filled to a file in c:/programfilesx86 somewhere and assumed it was all good) and click “I’m ready do it”. What I did was click “I’m ready do it” and assumed that did something right. So I essentially did nothing on the instantsheller part. From there I pressed ok on the last part of the chunksin installation and was greeted with the below.
IMG_4414.jpeg

So the above works, I can load roms etc and games work and I can see it’s all configured in its settings. But I got to thinking after re-reading the installation instructions more thoroughly and decided to go back to win7 and point the sheller to attract.exe to adhere to the instructions correctly and press “ok do it” and again press “ok” on the last step of the installation .

And disaster struck , the system then booted to a different attract this time, that was unpopulated with any settings, and the “u” key did nothing.
At this point I was locked in there exactly like the problem @Paul and @PASTBLASTER experienced.

B1BB406E-B76A-4889-953B-CFBE510AB77E.jpeg

U menu doesn’t function, ctrl alt delete takes me to the black bare task manager etc, where before reading a few posts above about a solution to that I got stuck!
To the point I had to pull the graphics card, and reconnect to the LCD via onboard graphics, plug in original win10 ssd, boot back in uefi and wipe everything and start again. I’m back now at the point of everything working as per the first picture, but I haven’t shelled attract.exe as I get stuck in the bare attract frontend again.

So I suppose my question here is,

-what have I done wrong here, where shelling attract.exe causes this?

-And what is the reason why , if I don’t shell attract.exe at all. I seem to get a working setup here.

Please please forgive the long post, but wanted to share as much info as I could. Thankyou to all the posters here for valuable information and @chunksin for your efforts.

Tom

EDIT:
Happy to report after starting over and using the v3 macrium files mentioned earlier in the thread, (just downloaded them and replaced the original v2 ones with the v3 on the prepared boot USB) I was able to go through flawlessly and even use the instantsheller to shell attract.Exe as per the instructions ! Resulting in the proper pre configured attract !
IMG_4429.jpeg

I’ve learned a lot!

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks for the Edit there Tom -
Incidentally I did resolve the Attract mode/ black screen by loading into explorer and then shutting down which just re-boots back into attract.
Im still having an issue to get Roms to load in and play - I updated to the Mame2003Plus set, which I can get to load into the Attract menu (although no images or proper names etc generate) - I get a white screen when some games load (but can hear sounds), others just crash straight back to attract.

What set should be used with this build? (assuming the mame emulator built in is for a specific set?)

Thanks for the Edit there Tom -
Incidentally I did resolve the Attract mode/ black screen by loading into explorer and then shutting down which just re-boots back into attract.
Im still having an issue to get Roms to load in and play - I updated to the Mame2003Plus set, which I can get to load into the Attract menu (although no images or proper names etc generate) - I get a white screen when some games load (but can hear sounds), others just crash straight back to attract.

What set should be used with this build? (assuming the mame emulator built in is for a specific set?)
You can configure and use any emulator you want with attract.

That said, you have to figure out how to set it up. It's not the most obvious, but it's also not impossible if you look at the built in settings and profiles. It's easy to see how things line up.

I have had no luck with scraping images so I provide my own sets. It's a bit of a pain in the ass but I love the entire setup so I just deal. I also don't have thousands of roms.

You can determine the version of mame by running the mame executable. For this, you may have to enable the desktop environment again.

Has anyone updated to the latest groovymame? It looks like this has .220 and the latest is .258.
You can upgrade no problem, just drop the whole directory in.

Just be sure and un-comment-out the removed CV1000 titles before you build the current version of MAME.

Hi,

I gave a try to Groovytime over the last few days. I felt like to share my experience, in case it may help others.

I had previously an arcade cabinet built with EmuCRT built on windows 10 from scratch. The problem was that over time the boot time became longer and longer (not sure of the reason why). Some time the cabinet would not even boot properly. I was dreading touching the cabinet again as setting up windows with a CRT TV can be very finicky. But I reached a point where I had no choice but to dive on the subject again.

Story short, I managed to reconfigure fully my arcade cabinet using Groovytime. Thanks for posting this tool. It is great. The cabinet boot in less than a minute and I believe it will stay so over time.

For information I have a Radeon 6450 and I use a consumer NTCS TV that I RGB modded. It accepts RGB and S (for composite sync). The cable I used is VGA to RGBHV for which I use only one the H/V connection (Not sure if composite sync go through H or V, but hey it is the grey cable that carries the composite sync signal. The other one that I don’t use is black. The precision matter for later)

The only difficulty I had was to setup the composite sync. It appeared to be very tricky and here is my findings:

I think by default composite sync is not enabled. I tried to enable composite sync before flipping to 15kHz. It did not work and I had to reinstall from scratch.

What I did is to do the 15kHz changeover without messing up with anything. I swapped my LCD with the CRT TV. Unfortunately on the next boot I got the screen flipping (15kHz but out of sync).

The way for me to make it work was really odd. I have a multistandard NTSC/PAL: CRT TV (Sony Trinitron). I disconnected the grey cable, I briefly connected the black cable. Then I disconnected the black cable to plug back the grey cable again and …. Magic!!!! I got a useable picture, flipping only slowly and therefore readable enough to complete the install. I completed the install to the end. In particular I let Groovytime install the modelines.

Then when the install was complete, I went back to use vmmaker and then enabled csync and …. Magic!!!! I got a perfectly stable picture.

I have no idea how this trick worked (For info it does not work with my Samsung TV).Here are my remarks and questions

1. I would be glad if someone could explain me what made this cable swap trip improve the sync signal.
  2. Is it possible in Groovytime to put an option for enabling csync on reboot, some people will need it, some (with PVMs or BVMs) will not. I will be glad to help

Thanks again for this great piece of software. I now have a robust cabinet that should be working for a very long time now.
2024 update. I had to go back to reconfigure my cabinet as I ran into issues when connecting my fightstick (model PXN0082). Windows does not recognize it (or at best once every 20 times I connect it, it is a very weird problem). Note that all my drivers are installed fined and updated. I did some testing and it turns out the issue is with win 7 embed. By installing window 7 home edition and applying all updates and device driver install, the problem goes away. The windows part is settled.
I then copied all the files in the D drive of the Groovytime iso into my computer and reused the scripts from the D:/Scripts folder. It worked ok for the configuration of the video drivers (still have to manually enable csync though). I had to lower the level of the notifications in the user account to prevent having confirmation message on every program the script was calling for.

I was left with one issue at the logging stage. The script did not work well with my windows version. the admin user auto log on but then the computer hold onto a black screen until I press Ctrl/Alt/Del and run manually the task "explorer", then I got the welcome music and the desktop come up all fine.
1. I setup manually the autologin on the Admin account (cmd, netpliz, no password)
2. I modified in the regedit the user winlogin shell back to explorer (the install script overwrite this entry to run the attract.vbs install script)
3. I run the instant sheller and applied all the settings except for the the shell command which I deactivated. I have a custom attractmode folder and somehow instant sheller always start the default attracmode program instead of the one I point at. I don't know why.
4. I copied a shortcut of attractmode executable in the startup folder of windows to auto start the program.

last observations:
1. Groovy user does not get deleted by the script with my windows install so I deleted it manually

Hope this thread help those that need to run groovytime script over a standard windows 7 install

I have one question though. Is there a way to start attractmode without starting explorer before? I want to hide the recycling bin and toolbar.

Last edited:
Use the standard way, update the Shell value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

You can update the attract.vbs to point to another location if you like, I used that for changing between horizontal and vertical setup configs

I tried without success.

it looks like winlogon does not accept vbs whether the original attract.vbs or the modified one pointing to my attracmode folder and executable. It only accept .exe files.

my modified vbs script :
Set fileSystemObject = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
shell.ShellExecute "d:\Groovymame\attract-v2.6.1-win64\attract.exe","--config d:\Groovymame\attract-v2.6.1-win64","d:\Groovymame\attract-v2.6.1-win64", "runas", 1

If I open a cmd shell and run the vbs script it works.

winlogon Shell registry entry will only accept d:\Groovymame\attract-v2.6.1-win64\attract.exe which runs the default version without any configuration. I tried to pass parameters to the executable file in the shell entry but without success.

Is there some configuration to do to enable vbsscript?

As a side question. Is the groovy account necessary for instant sheller. By recreating this account and running instant sheller would that work?

The groovy account is just a temporary account created during setup so is removed by the install script, you can run cscript.exe in the winlogon registry key with the path to the vbs script after it

It works (I used wscript.exe which is similar to cscript you recommended). Also my script had an issue, the --config argument mess up the launch of the script and actually is not needed.

Set fileSystemObject = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
shell.ShellExecute "d:\Groovymame\attract-v2.6.1-win64\attract.exe","","d:\Groovymame\attract-v2.6.1-win64", "runas", 1

My cabinet is back to normal, It boots in about 30 seconds after I replaced my HDD by an SSD. the sleep mode works also, the cabinet resume in just 4 seconds.

Thx!

Back