What's new
I have been trying to add drivers to the image but can't seem to get the USB ports working...I have attempted Dism GUI tool and it says it successfully add the drivers to the image, but still not working...may have to switch out the Mobo it seems..

Otherwise this is a great image thanks @chunksin

Hi,

I gave a try to Groovytime over the last few days. I felt like to share my experience, in case it may help others.

I had previously an arcade cabinet built with EmuCRT built on windows 10 from scratch. The problem was that over time the boot time became longer and longer (not sure of the reason why). Some time the cabinet would not even boot properly. I was dreading touching the cabinet again as setting up windows with a CRT TV can be very finicky. But I reached a point where I had no choice but to dive on the subject again.

Story short, I managed to reconfigure fully my arcade cabinet using Groovytime. Thanks for posting this tool. It is great. The cabinet boot in less than a minute and I believe it will stay so over time.

For information I have a Radeon 6450 and I use a consumer NTCS TV that I RGB modded. It accepts RGB and S (for composite sync). The cable I used is VGA to RGBHV for which I use only one the H/V connection (Not sure if composite sync go through H or V, but hey it is the grey cable that carries the composite sync signal. The other one that I don’t use is black. The precision matter for later)

The only difficulty I had was to setup the composite sync. It appeared to be very tricky and here is my findings:

I think by default composite sync is not enabled. I tried to enable composite sync before flipping to 15kHz. It did not work and I had to reinstall from scratch.

What I did is to do the 15kHz changeover without messing up with anything. I swapped my LCD with the CRT TV. Unfortunately on the next boot I got the screen flipping (15kHz but out of sync).

The way for me to make it work was really odd. I have a multistandard NTSC/PAL: CRT TV (Sony Trinitron). I disconnected the grey cable, I briefly connected the black cable. Then I disconnected the black cable to plug back the grey cable again and …. Magic!!!! I got a useable picture, flipping only slowly and therefore readable enough to complete the install. I completed the install to the end. In particular I let Groovytime install the modelines.

Then when the install was complete, I went back to use vmmaker and then enabled csync and …. Magic!!!! I got a perfectly stable picture.

I have no idea how this trick worked (For info it does not work with my Samsung TV).Here are my remarks and questions

1. I would be glad if someone could explain me what made this cable swap trip improve the sync signal.
  2. Is it possible in Groovytime to put an option for enabling csync on reboot, some people will need it, some (with PVMs or BVMs) will not. I will be glad to help

Thanks again for this great piece of software. I now have a robust cabinet that should be working for a very long time now.

Hello I am having trouble with GroovyTime. My problem is I can't transfer MAME Roms or a updated version of the Mame.exe from my ScanDisk USB 2.0 or 3.0 flash drives when I choose update MAME in the list. When I select update MAME an error comes up saying: "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1." I also have four unknown devices in my Device Manager under the "on UMBus Enumerator". My Keyboard is working connected to the computer's USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. If I reboot back to main Windows 7 my USB flash drives work like they should with no errors. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221208-022621.jpg
    Screenshot_20221208-022621.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20221206_195300637.jpg
    IMG_20221206_195300637.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 72
Go to the control panel and remove the Intel USB 3.0 package, reboot and install the chipset drivers for your specific PC motherboard. That Intel package has caused me a problem with keyboards too

Hi @@chunksin Thanks for responding to my question. I remove the Intel USB 3.0 package and installed the Dell manufacturer supplied Intel USB eXtensible Host Controller drivers for Windows 7. This did not fix my problem. I don't have a problem with my USB keyboard and mouse. I am having issues accessing my USB Flash drive when in the AttractMode Utility Menu. USB flash drive works fine when in Windows 7. Can I update MAME manually by deleting the older MAME folder and replacing it with the newer downloaded MAME version folder and add my zipped game roms to it's MAME folder ? When I say Manually I mean restore Windows 7 interface and going into the GroovyTime D:/ Drive and delete the original MAME folder there and replacing it with the new MAME version.

Hi @@chunksin Thanks for responding to my question. I remove the Intel USB 3.0 package and installed the Dell manufacturer supplied Intel USB eXtensible Host Controller drivers for Windows 7. This did not fix my problem. I don't have a problem with my USB keyboard and mouse. I am having issues accessing my USB Flash drive when in the AttractMode Utility Menu. USB flash drive works fine when in Windows 7. Can I update MAME manually by deleting the older MAME folder and replacing it with the newer downloaded MAME version folder and add my zipped game roms to it's MAME folder ? When I say Manually I mean restore Windows 7 interface and going into the GroovyTime D:/ Drive and delete the original MAME folder there and replacing it with the new MAME version.
You can do whatever you want.

I put my ROMs in mame/ROMs.

You can replace the installed mame.

Just make sure the configuration in attract mode is still valid after you make your changes.

Can you run this image on a PC and also install and use fightcade?

Alright, so I'm back! I was able to get this running on an Astro with an MS9. I am running:

Dell Optiplex 3010
JPAC (and VGA cable supplied with the Jpac)
ATI HD6450 low profile card
DVI-VGA dongle

The PC is running an I5, with 12gb of ram and a 250GB SSD.

I have two problems:

1.) The screen is shaky. I'm not able to capture it on video, but it's got this vibration I can't get rid of. I did make sure the Utility Menu I chose 240P but it still "shaky/bouncy"
2.) When I try to load Roms, I get an error that says it can't locate the USB drive. I tried to manually add roms to the roms folder in groovy mame and they still won't show up. I'm only adding about 20 roms for now as a test. I didn't want to move 70Gb's of data without making sure it's working right.

Help!

Not sure about your shaky video, 240p setting has always been rock solid for me on various 15Khz monitors, 480i on some have been shaky. Have you got good power going to the JPac and the green lights are both on? As for the rom path you can manually add another one - it depends on how many the PC already has. Plug in a keyboard and press Tab in attract mode, go to Emulators and MAME then edit the rom path, add another entry separated from the existing with a semi colon.

1. Try plugging the J-Pac into another USB port. J-Pac draws power from the PC to power itself.
  2. If you can try to set 'switchres' to '0' in the mame.ini

Thanks for the info. Reverting back to windows, I checked the display resolution and it was 640x320 (I might be wrong on the exact number) but the point is it was not 240p. I changed it to 240 and the windows became huge and unusable, but the shakiness stopped. I haven't been able to see if this shakiness is in game because I haven't been able to load a game yet....

I'm having problems with the roms. When trying to load from a USB drive I get a "there is no disk on the drive" error. ( see attached)

I moved a handful of roms over and was able to get a few to show up on the menu, but when loading the game it stays blank and gives an error. Also attached.

Appreciate the help and the hand holding!

Attachments

• 20230116_213349.jpg
    20230116_213349.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230116_220134.jpg
    20230116_220134.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 56
I'm getting the same STOP 7B error that mR_CaESaR got, however he has a different MB than I do so his fix didn't help me. My MB is Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3. I updated the bios firmware of the MB to the latest. I feel like I've tried to change every possible bios setting, however sometimes it's the most obscure setting that wreaks havoc. Any of you able to help?

This is my bios. Ignore the actual video as it's not applicable to what I'm trying to do. But it should give you an idea of my bios if anyone has the same.

Thanks guys!

EDIT - I should add I'm installing this on a NVME drive. Not sure if that's the issue or not...

Last edited:
I'm getting the same STOP 7B error that mR_CaESaR got, however he has a different MB than I do so his fix didn't help me. My MB is Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3. I updated the bios firmware of the MB to the latest. I feel like I've tried to change every possible bios setting, however sometimes it's the most obscure setting that wreaks havoc. Any of you able to help?

This is my bios. Ignore the actual video as it's not applicable to what I'm trying to do. But it should give you an idea of my bios if anyone has the same.

Thanks guys!

EDIT - I should add I'm installing this on a NVME drive. Not sure if that's the issue or not...
NVME drives won’t work in Windows 7, which is what this image is based on.

Hi ,

I built a PC with this image a while ago and it's still fine but I was thinking can I upgrade my motherboard and CPU in future without much hassle ? I'm currently on a Q9550 4GB Ram and eventually would like to upgrade to I7 3770 8GB Ram as I run other Emulators on it and it just can't quite handle Dreamcast / Atomiswave

Got all the way to the regional settings and it locks up. No ability to move mouse cursor or make any selections or changes. Thoughts?

Either your usb controller is not compatible with Windows 7 or there is a clash with the default drivers, try this version: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11CCHxSDbLv4h9ppZoOBbpz6AOfoSgBHK
Trying new version now. It's a Dell Optiplex 7020 with the Radeon 6450, 8GB of RAM, yadda yadda. I wouldn't have thought it was a USB driver issue initially. Once I get into the boot screen where it starts setting up Windows 7 without the branding, it goes to the region settings screen, everything is based in UK and it locks the mouse cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. I've tried wired and wireless mice and keyboards to see if I can get to the next button..nothing. Frozen.

Either your usb controller is not compatible with Windows 7 or there is a clash with the default drivers, try this version: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11CCHxSDbLv4h9ppZoOBbpz6AOfoSgBHK
Side note - a little unclear what to do with the mrimg file, Chunksin. Do I just try and toss it back into Rufus (Rufus isn't currently recognizing it), do I just toss it on a blank usb? What will I need to do to get the mrimg file you linked me to working? Thanks.

Back