What's new
Replace the image files in the usb drive once you've written the iso with the new ones

Trying new version now. It's a Dell Optiplex 7020 with the Radeon 6450, 8GB of RAM, yadda yadda. I wouldn't have thought it was a USB driver issue initially. Once I get into the boot screen where it starts setting up Windows 7 without the branding, it goes to the region settings screen, everything is based in UK and it locks the mouse cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. I've tried wired and wireless mice and keyboards to see if I can get to the next button..nothing. Frozen.
Is this a usb3 port?

Windows 7 doesn't support usb3 without an additional driver.

Is this a usb3 port?

Windows 7 doesn't support usb3 without an additional driver.
Is the question - was this originally installed with the usb stick in a usb 3.0 port? Possibly. At this point, I'm considering wiping the HD and starting from scratch. I did already have Windows 7 on the HD before I tried to fire up the Groovy2.0 iso. Mayhaps that is causing issues?

How do I do that if Rufus is telling me it can't do anything with the mrimg file?
That's not a file for Rufus, it's a Macrium file. Create the usb image from the iso using Rufus then manually replace the v2 mrimg files with the v3 files in Windows Explorer

That's not a file for Rufus, it's a Macrium file. Create the usb image from the iso using Rufus then manually replace the v2 mrimg files with the v3 files in Windows Explorer
Okay..starting from scratch scratch. Would a pre-installed Windows 7 with updated drivers have caused issues with your image? Because I already had Windows 7 on the rig I was using.

Did this, per your request and once we got to the restore image portion, it mentions that the first image (00) is one half of an image. So then I also look to add the 01 alongside the 00 portion of the image and it can't find it. "Unable to locate." So I cannot actually restore anything as it is requiring both halves to get to the next step.

Meanwhile, back on the V2 image - after a complete reinstall of everything (and I mean everything), we have the exact same issue. Country or region, time and currency and keyboard..all UK..mouse cursor frozen in the upper left corner of screen. Nothing plugged into a usb 3.0 drive. All this from a brand newly formatted HDD.

Both halves are in the Google drive folder I linked to, you need both files in that folder as per the previous version.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230731-140212.png
    Screenshot_20230731-140212.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 34
Both halves are in the Google drive folder I linked to, you need both files in that folder as per the previous version.
Yup. grabbed both and swapped out the Plus2 files before install. When I boot up into the Macrium restore area, I can find the 00 image just fine and it lets me know that 00 is only part of the image. When I search for 01, I can click on it but it tells me "unable to locate image." I don't actually get the option to restore anything because the 01 portion of that image will not be read.

Is the question - was this originally installed with the usb stick in a usb 3.0 port? Possibly. At this point, I'm considering wiping the HD and starting from scratch. I did already have Windows 7 on the HD before I tried to fire up the Groovy2.0 iso. Mayhaps that is causing issues?
I was asking if your mouse or whatever peripheral you were using to control the cursor was in a usb3 port.

Since Windows 7 needs special drivers for usb3 installs fail at the point where interaction is required.

I was asking if your mouse or whatever peripheral you were using to control the cursor was in a usb3 port.

Since Windows 7 needs special drivers for usb3 installs fail at the point where interaction is required.
Nah, we are at the point now where everything is in a usb2.0 slot and I'm still hitting this massive roadblock. I'll be honest - I've followed the other thread about a PC build, I've pruchased parts based on successful intel and people who have done this already. I don't really understand why I'm having any issues. Felt like this should have been an easy install. And it is..no issues..right up until the region setting part of the build.

Nah, we are at the point now where everything is in a usb2.0 slot and I'm still hitting this massive roadblock. I'll be honest - I've followed the other thread about a PC build, I've pruchased parts based on successful intel and people who have done this already. I don't really understand why I'm having any issues. Felt like this should have been an easy install. And it is..no issues..right up until the region setting part of the build.
Perhaps, despite the best planing, there's a hardware issue.

I would try the following.

Check/clean all connections.

Reset the CMOS.

Different hdd.

Move ram around/remove extra units.

Problems like this can be caused by they most unlikely of issues.

Reset the CMOS.

Different hdd.

I'll try and remove and reconnect everything tonight. I'd like to figure out why only half of the GroovyV3 image is locatable by the PC...that felt like a step forward until it was all "where is the other half of the image?" and it's right there, I'm clicking on it and it just doesn't want to be seen. Microcosm of the whole install.

Reset the CMOS.

Different hdd.

Side note, George - is there a way to get EmuDriver and this whole 15nz set up done without having to use this amazing image? Because it may come to that at some point. Piecing it all together one by one.

I'll try and remove and reconnect everything tonight. I'd like to figure out why only half of the GroovyV3 image is locatable by the PC...that felt like a step forward until it was all "where is the other half of the image?" and it's right there, I'm clicking on it and it just doesn't want to be seen. Microcosm of the whole install.
I can't comment directly on the issue with this image but I can say this... When restoring using an image on windows 7, windows could only find the image in the root of the drive. Very annoying and frankly stupid.

Side note, George - is there a way to get EmuDriver and this whole 15nz set up done without having to use this amazing image? Because it may come to that at some point. Piecing it all together one by one.
Unless I'm wrong, the only benefit of this image (and it's a BIG benefit) is that it streamlines the process of setting up the PC.

There is nothing to stop you from executing the 15khz steps manually on any PC with compatible hardware.

Unless I'm wrong, the only benefit of this image (and it's a BIG benefit) is that it streamlines the process of setting up the PC.

There is nothing to stop you from executing the 15khz steps manually on any PC with compatible hardware.
Noted. Are you of the opinion that I may just not have compatible hardware then? I have the Radeon 6450, I have a Dell Optiplex 7020 SFF, 1 stick of 8 GB ram, 1TB HDD and the CPU is a Dell Pentium G3258. Feel like all of that should get me to the promised land.

@chunksin - do you think there are still options to get your image to work or would you advise I try something else? I don't want to be a burden/pain in the ass and waste anyone's time. I very much appreciate the support. Just want to get the rig set up with 15hz signal for my NAC cab. =/

Noted. Are you of the opinion that I may just not have compatible hardware then? I have the Radeon 6450, I have a Dell Optiplex 7020 SFF, 1 stick of 8 GB ram, 1TB HDD and the CPU is a Dell Pentium G3258. Feel like all of that should get me to the promised land
It's old but It seems like it should be compatible.

Have you tried installing a regular Windows 7 image on the same hardware? Just to see if it works.

There is also a 15hz Linux image floating around that you could try, just to see that the hardware is working. It's very easy and fast to install.

I tried the Linux image before this image but it had a lot of screen tearing. It did get me hyped to build a 15hz system though.

It's old but It seems like it should be compatible.

Have you tried installing a regular Windows 7 image on the same hardware? Just to see if it works.

There is also a 15hz Linux image floating around that you could try, just to see that the hardware is working. It's very easy and fast to install.

I tried the Linux image before this image but it had a lot of screen tearing. It did get me hyped to build a 15hz system though.
I had a Windows 7 Ultimate/AOI image on the rig probably 48 hours before I gave this image a chance. Windows 7 worked just fine for me. Only issue was related to updating drivers which was more of an issue with finding a compatible web browser. But after installing Opera, it worked great. Was nice and fast. No issues. And there aren't any issues with this V2 image either...right up until it gets to the region settings and just locks the hell up. Can't tell if it nukes the usb drivers and I just don't know or it's completely frozen. Either way, I have to do a reset.

But to your original question, yea, the computer runs just fine on it's own. Can you not put together a 15hz set up piece by piece? Does it require some soft of autoboot image to work correctly? I mean, if you had a good copy of Windows 7 and just wanted to do the EmuDriver/switchres stuff to make sure your computer is going to get a 15hz signal and not fry the crt in the cab, are there not individual links to make that happen? Or now, with this new image, is the manual installation stuff a bridge too far for most people?

I had a Windows 7 Ultimate/AOI image on the rig probably 48 hours before I gave this image a chance. Windows 7 worked just fine for me. Only issue was related to updating drivers which was more of an issue with finding a compatible web browser. But after installing Opera, it worked great. Was nice and fast. No issues. And there aren't any issues with this V2 image either...right up until it gets to the region settings and just locks the hell up. Can't tell if it nukes the usb drivers and I just don't know or it's completely frozen. Either way, I have to do a reset.

But to your original question, yea, the computer runs just fine on it's own. Can you not put together a 15hz set up piece by piece? Does it require some soft of autoboot image to work correctly? I mean, if you had a good copy of Windows 7 and just wanted to do the EmuDriver/switchres stuff to make sure your computer is going to get a 15hz signal and not fry the crt in the cab, are there not individual links to make that happen? Or now, with this new image, is the manual installation stuff a bridge too far for most people?

Did you try manipulating the UI with the keyboard? Did you try pressing tab to move the focus of the cursor?

I said earlier that you you be able to install the components manually.

I haven't done the install in a while so I'm rusty as to which applications/programs would need to be installed manually but there's no reason they shouldn't work.

I am running on a consumer crt but I didn't have any fear of frying it. The screen rolls a bit and looks garbled until you get it right. Maybe it's different/ more dangerous on an arcade monitor... I wouldn't know.

Back