What's new

Mr.Nintendo

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey friends hoping to find some assistance for help with the Zulu SCSi. I am trying to ditch using the cd-rom drive with my cps3 multi setup from years ago and performed the following steps:
  • Formatted SD card fat32
  • Downloaded uniCD-CPS3_for_standard_SH2 from cps3 help section
  • Tried to use balena etcher and Rufus I get a warning message that it’s not a bootable partition before I proceed so switched to using win32
  • Used win32 to write the iso to SD successfully
  • Connect the Zulu to cps3 boots but says invalid cd rom drive
Thank you for any help

Attachments

• IMG_3233.jpeg
    IMG_3233.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3232.jpeg
    IMG_3232.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3234.jpeg
    IMG_3234.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 44
I think your problem is the setup of the ZuluSCSI so it behaves as a CD Drive in the right way.

About the image, I have to disagree with @nem, but off the top of my head, I think that you have to write the image to the microSD, as if you were cloning it.

hey Darksoft thanks for the response the Zulu and SCSi in general are new to my setup. I can confirm using the CD rom drive currently works just fine.

The ZuluSCSI v1.2 has a knob to switch it to CD-rom without using a utility I believe here is a pic

Attachments

• IMG_3236.jpeg
    IMG_3236.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 27
Keep it set on CD.

Interesting so how do I know which exact iso to be certain? I know my setup is Super Bios Standard SH2 so I used the uniCD-CPS3_for_standard_SH2 listed in Darksofts file section

That's the correct iso.

Format your card to FAT32, drop the iso to the root of the card and try again. If it still doesn't work, try renaming the iso to "CD10_2048-CPS3SH2.iso" and see if that works.

Keep it set on CD.

That's the correct iso.

Format your card to FAT32, drop the iso to the root of the card and try again. If it still doesn't work, try renaming the iso to "CD10_2048-CPS3SH2.iso" and see if that works.
ok did exactly this and renamed it dropped in the root now I’m getting the CD-rom drive is not properly connected?

Attachments

• IMG_3237.jpeg
    IMG_3237.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 20
Try these settings, rename the ISO file to CD1.iso and give it a go.
If it doesn't work, try switching dip #2 ON on the 4 dip switch on the left and try again.
make sure that the SD card was FAT32 or exFAT formated and that you copied the iso file over, not tried to BURN the image to the SD card.
2024-01-13_17-44-36.jpg

Try these settings, rename the ISO file to CD1.iso and give it a go.
If it doesn't work, try switching dip #2 ON on the 4 dip switch on the left and try again.
make sure that the SD card was FAT32 or exFAT formated and that you copied the iso file over, not tried to BURN the image to the SD card.
2024-01-13_17-44-36.jpg
Ok getting closer I think I really appreciate the dip settings you sent now it says I have inserted and invalid CD-ROM…maybe my naming convention needs to be what Em suggested originally not sure what to try next thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3238.jpeg
    IMG_3238.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 18
About the image, I have to disagree with @nem, but off the top of my head, I think that you have to write the image to the microSD, as if you were cloning it.
Thankfully (well, at least arguably thankfully) that method is as gone as the orginal SCSI2SD. Both ZuluSCSI and BlueSCSI devices use FAT32/EXFAT cards, and the file names of the disk images determine attributes like SCSI ID.

Thankfully (well, at least arguably thankfully) that method is as gone as the orginal SCSI2SD. Both ZuluSCSI and BlueSCSI devices use FAT32/EXFAT cards, and the file names of the disk images determine attributes like SCSI ID.
Hello thanks for the added context would you happen to know for my specific config which is Super Bios Standard SH2 setup should be called? Please and thank you

Have you updated the firmware for the ZuluSCSI card? Attached is the updated firmware file for your card. Unzip it and copy the bin file to your sd card. Power up the ZuluSCSI and let it do its thing. It will delete the bin file on its own.

Try changing the name of the iso to "CD10_2048-CPS3SH2.iso" as Nem suggested and/or try CD1.iso as well and lets see what happens. Good luck.

Attachments

• ZuluSCSIv1_1_plus_2023-12-13.zip
    94.4 KB · Views: 22
Also, have you checked out their github? It has info there, but its all over the place because of all the boards they have, and their different revisions, etc...

Have you updated the firmware for the ZuluSCSI card? Attached is the updated firmware file for your card. Unzip it and copy the bin file to your sd card. Power up the ZuluSCSI and let it do its thing. It will delete the bin file on its own.

Try changing the name of the iso to "CD10_2048-CPS3SH2.iso" as Nem suggested and/or try CD1.iso as well and lets see what happens. Good luck.
My GOODNESS that did it thank you sooooooo much I used CD1.iso, updated firmware, and made sure the dips were set to what you mapped out plus dip 2 on the left side was switched to on. Thank you thank you thannkkkk you…also thanks to everyone else for bumping my thread

Attachments

• IMG_3243.jpeg
    IMG_3243.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3242.jpeg
    IMG_3242.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 28
My GOODNESS that did it thank you sooooooo much I used CD1.iso, updated firmware, and made sure the dips were set to what you mapped out plus dip 2 on the left side was switched to on. Thank you thank you thannkkkk you…also thanks to everyone else for bumping my thread
Awesome, glad to see its sorted out, now have some fun!

Hi y'all, sorry to boost an old thread but I need some help...!

I've followed every step here and cannot get past the invalid CD-ROM screen..

PXL_20240309_025059754.MP.jpg

I bought a Zulu from Rabbit Hole this week.
Formatted to Fat 32.
Used the most recent and the old firmware that Derick2k linked above.
Tried both the custom and standard iso with both the standard file name and the CD1 file name.
Dip switches are the same as Derick2k's (i've tried switching #2 on the left side as well).

I'm just simply dragging the iso onto the SD card (i've tried a regular SD card that Rabbit Hole sent and a microSD -> SD adapter)
I really don't know what i'm missing.

I'm doing this for a friend, I'm unsure if he has the standard or custom bios (he doesn't have a cd driveof his own, but we've used other people's drives successfully in the past (and I don't have the bits to open the security cart, but the cart is a Jojo's Venture cart)), but i've tried both with no success.

Whenever I power the setup on, the Zulu does blink it's like a few times before turning solid, if that's any indication of anything? But i'm assuming that's a normal power cycle.
I feel like i'm grasping at straws but idk what else to try!

Last edited:
Make sure everything is connected properly
Redownload the cd images
Do a full format on the SD card
Use the latest zuluscsi firmware
Go over all the zulu settings again
Use CD1.iso as the filename
Try cleaning the contacts on the cart
Are you using the a short or long scsi cable ( it shouldn't matter, but you never know)
Are you using a mac or windows?

Here is the info on the led status on power on

Troubleshooting​

The LED indicator normally flashes to indicate disk activity.

Upon initial power-on, the activity LED also reports following status conditions:

• 1 fast blink on boot: Firmware successfully loaded, and at least one image file loaded successfully
  • 3 fast blinks: No images found on SD card, and then automatically falls back to raw passthrough mode.
  • 5 fast blinks: SD card not detected
  • Continuous morse pattern: firmware crashed, morse code indicates crash location
If a crash occurrs, the firmware will also attempt to save information to a separate zuluerr.txt log file, on the root of the SD card.

No LED activity: verify the 'BOOT' configuration switch is OFF.

Here is the latest FW for the Zulu board. You have the V1.2 board correct?
If this one doesn't work, you can try the one I linked above.

Attachments

• ZuluSCSIv1_1_plus_2024-03-07.zip
    95.2 KB · Views: 9
Back