What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of us who are not tech savy: using pre-decrypted romsets means we'll be fine with the Mame ones or will we have to find a different set for the few encrypted ones?

For those of us who are not tech savy: using pre-decrypted romsets means we'll be fine with the Mame ones or will we have to find a different set for the few encrypted ones?
You won't have to do any digging. Darksoft will find a way provide his customer what they need. We/I know that from experience owning 3 of his other multi's (ST-V, CPS2, & CPS3).

You won't have to do any digging. Darksoft will find a way provide his customer what they need. We/I know that from experience owning 3 of his other multi's (ST-V, CPS2, & CPS3).
Right on!

Can't teh cart just support both encrypted and decrypted romsets, so both parties can be happy? I like the unibios CRC because is a test I can use to be "sure" the game code is exactly as it should, therefore the game should play fine (gamewise, graphics and sound can still have issues).
Why can't you use a simple computer CRC check tool on the images saved in the sd-card?

Actually that's the only way YOU can check that the game code is fine. If you do the check in the bios you have to trust that the hardcoded CRCs in the bios are the right ones, and that's a big leap of faith actually....
Because what will I compare the CRC against? at least the correct CRCs for original roms are well known since many years ago, the decrypted ones will be new, may have decryption bugs, will have to be corrected, many CRCs will be generated for the same game (versions with bug corrections) and so on. So I still believe supporting the encrypted P roms is the right thing to do.

There's no such thing as decryption bugs on NEO GEO because the encryption is applied through the whole ROM data. No room for errors.

We can compile a list with known good CRCs or create a clrmamepro dat to check the sets. That way we can be sure that the CRCs belong to legitimate correct dumps.

The CRCs in the Unibios are *for sure* not (consistently) good.. there are *plenty* of hacks that are recognized as good CRCs (you just need to check the unibios changelog)

Last edited:
Can't teh cart just support both encrypted and decrypted romsets, so both parties can be happy? I like the unibios CRC because is a test I can use to be "sure" the game code is exactly as it should, therefore the game should play fine (gamewise, graphics and sound can still have issues).
Why can't you use a simple computer CRC check tool on the images saved in the sd-card?
Actually that's the only way YOU can check that the game code is fine. If you do the check in the bios you have to trust that the hardcoded CRCs in the bios are the right ones, and that's a big leap of faith actually....
Because what will I compare the CRC against? at least the correct CRCs for original roms are well known since many years ago, the decrypted ones will be new, may have decryption bugs, will have to be corrected, many CRCs will be generated for the same game (versions with bug corrections) and so on. So I still believe supporting the encrypted P roms is the right thing to do.
not even neosd supports encrypted roms. Actually what the neogeo sees is the same, only that decryption is done beforehand in the PC and in the original there is a chip that it's doing that on the go. But the end result is the same...

Why can't you use a simple computer CRC check tool on the images saved in the sd-card?Actually that's the only way YOU can check that the game code is fine. If you do the check in the bios you have to trust that the hardcoded CRCs in the bios are the right ones, and that's a big leap of faith actually....
not even neosd supports encrypted roms. Actually what the neogeo sees is the same, only that decryption is done beforehand in the PC and in the original there is a chip that it's doing that on the go. But the end result is the same...
I do not really care what neosd can or cannot do, DS. I care about your multicart because it's the one I will get, therefore I want it to be the best one, and I believe it will be that way. Thanks for clarifying that the neo does not see the encrypted rom itself, but only the result of its decryption. It sounds obvious, but it wasn't for me until now. So the CRC that the unibios has are all for decrypted romsets? because if I understand you correctly, there is no way for the neo to read the encrypted rom itself, only the decrypted one. Now, this is talking about the P roms, and it sounds OK to me, but what about the C, V and S ones? (I do not think M rom was ever encrypted).

Thanks!!

I do not really care what neosd can or cannot do, DS. I care about your multicart because it's the one I will get, therefore I want it to be the best one, and I believe it will be that way.
Thank+you+i+know+you+guys+have+been+wading+through+_62d9afbe93487882a610f5e74716e742.jpeg

How the ROMs are updated when decryption flaws are discovered
Thanks! I learn something new every time I'm here! Much friendly than the NGforums, IMO. Still, I have yet to make friends here... :/
Dude, what ya talking about!? We are all friends here, to some degree anyways :); cause we all love arcade games.
Where in NY are you located? Northeast coast A-P.com members should try to have a meetup at some point.
Sorry if this is off subject.

@ Derick2k :My apologies if it came out the wrong way, I meant no offense to anyone here. I haven't been on any forums for a long time. There are a lot of talented and knowledgeable people here and I respect that. ^^ I just would like to engage more with the folks here, that's all! :)

Yes I love arcade games too although consoles and handhelds are what I primarily play as of late. I'm still debating on what type of super gun set up I should get... ?( I would love to get Darksoft's CPS2 kit and his ST-V milti cart(asides the NeoGeo MVS and a AES multi cart!)I'm aboard for all of those. :thumbsup:

I'm based in Manhattan, just so you know. A meet up would be great! I suppose that can be a good start, if any!

@ Derick2k :My apologies if it came out the wrong way, I meant no offense to anyone here. I haven't been on any forums for a long time. There are a lot of talented and knowledgeable people here and I respect that. I just would like to engage more with the folks here, that's all!

Yes I love arcade games too although consoles and handhelds are what I primarily play as of late. I'm still debating on what type of super gun set up I should get... I would love to get Darksoft's CPS2 kit and his ST-V milti cart(asides the NeoGeo MVS and a AES multi cart!)I'm aboard for all of those.

I'm based in Manhattan, just so you know. A meet up would be great! I suppose that can be a good start, if any!
No apologies needed bro, I hear ya...people here are the friendliest and easiest to interact with unlike many other sites :)
sounds like good idea! I may have to go for business in february to US. Would be good to join any such a meeting
Oh boy, Darksoft might be in the states people, lets plan something; maybe Mitsu can join in on a meetup as well.

OMG 8o ; I say we get Darksoft to the states for a release/reveal/showcase of sorts for the MVS/AES Multis. Make a nice event out of it.

Anyone wants to make this happen?! Should we open an interest check thread? :D

@ Derick2k :My apologies if it came out the wrong way, I meant no offense to anyone here. I haven't been on any forums for a long time. There are a lot of talented and knowledgeable people here and I respect that. I just would like to engage more with the folks here, that's all!

Yes I love arcade games too although consoles and handhelds are what I primarily play as of late. I'm still debating on what type of super gun set up I should get... I would love to get Darksoft's CPS2 kit and his ST-V milti cart(asides the NeoGeo MVS and a AES multi cart!)I'm aboard for all of those.

No apologies needed bro, I hear ya...people here are the friendliest and easiest to interact with unlike many other sites :)
sounds like good idea! I may have to go for business in february to US. Would be good to join any such a meeting
Oh boy, Darksoft might be in the states people, lets plan something; maybe Mitsu can join in on a meetup as well.
OMG 8o ; I say we get Darksoft to the states for a release/reveal/showcase of sorts for the MVS/AES Multis. Make a nice event out of it.

Anyone wants to make this happen?! Should we open an interest check thread? :D
Count me in!!! I know a couple of spots in nyc with some good beers and arcades!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back