What's new

stanleyyeh0205

Beginner
Reaction score
I am just interested to know how to use gamepads to play arcade games without a supergun, a cheapest alternative to retail supergun. Moreover, I’m also wanting to know how to use gamepads on TTX or JVS cabinets. Any comments are welcome. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

Thanks. USB>JVS is exactly what I needed. Is a supergun absolutely necessary to hook up a USB gamepad to the game board?
Not for most jvs systems

Superguns get power, video, audio, and controls sorted for jamma. For jvs you can run video directly to a monitor in most cases, use the iona device for controls, run rca stereo to your speakers directly, and handle power with a standalone psu.

I just realized that Undamned USB is what i was looking for, which will be added to my so-called homebrew Supergun besides JAMMA harness, CGA to VGa, arcade PSU. Again, this is just my theory. Do you think they'll be as good as a retail Supergun?

What are game you trying to play, and what monitor are you sending the video to?

I wish any of these encoders would tap an analog signal out.

You can USB all day for a d pad and buttons but if you want to borrow analog sticks / analog triggers for racing boards…I’ve never found an option

Unless I missed one?

What are game you trying to play, and what monitor are you sending the video to?

I wish any of these encoders would tap an analog signal out. You can USB all day for a d pad and buttons but if you want to borrow analog sticks / analog triggers for racing boards…I’ve never found an option

Unless I missed one?
Thanks for the reminder. I haven’t thought about what games I am gonna play. However I wanna output the game to modern LCD TV via VGA. May I know the limit of my homebrew supergun?

You should decide. Your optimal solution(s) could be quite different depending on your monitors resolution options and the systems you intend to play. From non-jamma to jamma through jvs and some newer stuff you could be handling 240p all the way to 1080p with everything in between. I think the most flexible non-CRT setups get video into a good lag-less scaler like ossc or retrotink, then to the hdmi input on a tv.

You should decide. Your optimal solution(s) could be quite different depending on your monitors resolution options and the systems you intend to play. From non-jamma to jamma through jvs and some newer stuff you could be handling 240p all the way to 1080p with everything in between. I think the most flexible non-CRT setups get video into a good lag-less scaler like ossc or retrotink, then to the hdmi input on a tv.
Thanks for helping me understand how flexible a JAMMA supergun can be. OSSC is slightly beyond my budget but still worth the effort.

May I know how reliable the jamma harness that claims to support 6 buttons without kick harness?

Probably a harness specifically made for Chinese pandora box pcbs

I wish any of these encoders would tap an analog signal out.

You can USB all day for a d pad and buttons but if you want to borrow analog sticks / analog triggers for racing boards…I’ve never found an option

Unless I missed one?
I only did a real quick google but would something like this fit your needs?
https://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/ps3-controller
interface that with an arduino to read the output of the pad and drive some digipots giving psuedo variable resistor feedback?

I’m looking an interface that would allow me to hook up my USB gamepad to the arcade cabinet while I still can use the arcade joystick at my disposal. Any suggestion?

I only did a real quick google but would something like this fit your needs?
https://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/ps3-controller
interface that with an arduino to read the output of the pad and drive some digipots giving psuedo variable resistor feedback?
Close. I have a friend who makes controller adapters and I fed him the idea / overall NEEDS...and he is working something up.

So hopefully soon he will have a prototype. Takes IN any modern USB controller, parses the digital and analog data...then spits each button/pot out to its own bare wire solution you can then build adapters for to marry to any arcade board

Back