JVS Emulator

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A web interface has the advantage that the pi is less critical to build in. (You don't need a visible display and buttons you can access).
      It also has the advantage of no additional hardware costs. (If you have a pc or tablet or smartphone) (who hasn't?)

It has the disadvantage that it's more complex to program and more complex to setup.

A gui that can be used over a vnc connection can work as well. There are vnc clients for most platforms.
      It might ease the programming work.

If you take the display road, you might find some cheap ones with buttons on aliexpress or other chinese sites.
      They shouldn't cost more than 5 bucks. The annoying thing with lcd displays is the contrast adjustment that changes with the temperature.

Oled displays don't have that problem but are still more expensive.
    • @obcd Good suggestions. I'm torn between the ideas. In terms of screens I've found OLEDs that cost around £1, so cost wise it would only add maybe £2 to each board to include a little screen and some buttons. The issue with this is that some of the setup is quite complex, such as setting up maps etc. and it might be better to have a web interface which would allow you to fully customize. But on the other side, people might find it hard to setup the Pi with Wifi / Ethernet and so a black box setup with a little screen would probably easier for others to use.

OpenJVS runs as a service on the Raspberry Pi all the time, and so its config files can be modified and then the service restarted to make changes. Although OpenJVS needs to be written in C, I can write the menus and web interface in Python which should make it much easier to program, and could possibly include both a screen and a web interface together.

Took me about 5 minutes to setup a map for this steering wheel - hoping to get started on the proper force feedback drivers soon!

OpenJVS | OpenLSA | Arcade Blog

Own: Sega Naomi, Sega Chihiro Type 3, Sega System SP, Sega Lindbergh, Konami Viper, Galeco Power 3D
      Want: Time Crisis 1

The post was edited 1 time, last by bobbydilley ().

• Think of Apple products and make it as user friendly as possible for the average person (me).. I am very sure that people would pay whatever amount for that.. I am not sure why this tread is not on fire,what you are doing is incredible, very exciting stuff and I was looking for this solution to play theses games with a standard steer wheel and a light gun.. You adding force feedback is jaw dropping.. keep up the good work:)
      The Future Is Now
    • SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:

Think of Apple products and make it as user friendly as possible for the average person (me).."
      LOL, Quite a few of us do not own a single Apple product.
      -My Stuff-
      Sega Showcase cab (TTX2 Multi)
      Capcom Big Blue (Gen 2) (HyperSpin)
      Namco cab (246/256 Multi)
      Dynamo HS-5 (Taito F3)
      Atomiswave (Ranger Mission)
      Atomiswave (Naomi 2 Multi)
      Area 51 (Dedicated)
      Sega Blast City x2

Area 51 (SharpShooter)
      Korean Crowin 302 (empty)(rebuilding
      NASCAR twin sitdowns (Xbox 360)
    • I'm currently a bit stuck on the Force Feedback portion of the code. I've got a small test script running that attempts to reply to Outrun 2 SP on the Lindbergh's force feedback connection, but I always seem to get an 'Original point error.' come up.

I believe this is something to do with the reporting back the position of the wheel (which OpenJVS does constantly), and it looks like the wheel needs to turn in a specific way for the tests to work.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about how to get passed the initialization phase, and if anyone else has had an original point error, and how they fixed it.

These are the dumps of the codes I'm getting, and replying:
      1. Lindbergh -> OpenJVS: FF 00 00 7F [OK]
      2. OpenJVS -> Lindbergh: 11
      3. Lindbergh -> OpenJVS: 81 30 7F 4E [OK]
      4. OpenJVS -> Lindbergh: 11
      Stages 3/4 repeat many times, until the entire process runs again and then fails. During this time I've tried turning the steering wheel, leaving it at the center, moving it to the center quickly and everything else you could imagine!

The two posts that I've been using for reference are:

Force Feedback Board (FFB) adapter
      Force Feedback Translator - Sega MIDI, Sega RS422 and Namco RS232

I'd be more than happy to hear anything from anyone about what they might think is going on, or any suggestions to get it past the init stage!

Own: Sega Naomi, Sega Chihiro Type 3, Sega System SP, Sega Lindbergh, Konami Viper, Galeco Power 3D
    • Thank you both for your replies.

@nem For Outrun 2 on the lindbergh, it seems to just move about 90 degrees to the right and then goes back to the center. I get 1 command from the Lindbergh to say initialize and then it seems that maybe it watches what the wheel does, so I am worried you are right and that the timing of specific parts of this sequence is critical. Might be time to open up the outrun2 exe in IDA and see if I can follow what its looking for!

@winteriscoming Yep 4 modes I think - Standard, Upright, DX and SDX. I'm running in the standard mode at the moment which I think is the right one.