What's new
Received my SIMM yesterday, fast shipping and packed in proper pink antistatic bubble wrap. I'll update after I've been able to test.

What stock do you guys have left of:

Cart PCB =
128Mb Simms =
64Mb Simms =

Got my order guys, thank you very much.

Superfast, well packed shipping from Mitsu.

Full Darksoft Superbios Setup :thumbup:

The 2 bottom right simms are the new 64MB

IMG_5129.JPG

Nice fast work testing those SIMM's Mitsurugi-w. Thanks!
Yeah. I test the 128s by installing four new simms and doing a game write. So It takes about 45 minutes to test four. I tested 100 of them. 15 were tested bad. Half of those were not recognized by the pcb, the other gave errors during writing. In the last batch I had about the same % bad with the same symptoms. All but one was fixed by resoldering by hand. That one most likely had a bad flash. Not bad to consider one bad flash out of 800 when using NOS chips.

The batch of 64s were tested by using the SuperBIOS cart and manually writing the game files to each SIMM. I only had 30 to test in this batch. Zero bad 64s during testing. I think they are more wanted than we thought so hopefully we will get another batch of 64s in the near future. I don't think any of these 64s are going to make it to Europe.

It's awesome of you to spend the time testing all of those out. Man that sounds laborious.

It's awesome of you to spend the time testing all of those out. Man that sounds laborious.
Begin write.

Look at clock.

Watch 45 minutes of TV

Check for success/failure.

Set good simms aside.

Add 4 new simms.

Repeat.

Thanks for the hard work @Darksoft and @Mitsurugi-w. Hopefully my order cross the boarder okay. Now I just need to find a cheap mobo to donate a setup to my local fighting scene.

Begin write.
Look at clock.

Watch 45 minutes of TV

Check for success/failure.

Set good simms aside.

Add 4 new simms.

Repeat.
@'Mitsurugi-w, not particularly related with the new SIMMs but all CPS3 SIMMs (original/repro) in general, I have a question for you since you probably are the most experienced guy on the planet regarding testing CPS3 SIMMs :)

When the tests show up NG for a faulty SIMM, do you have a method to practically identify the potentially "bad" flash IC on that SIMM? (except visual inspection of bad/cracked solder) Or do you just put them aside for later examination?

The reason I'm asking this is I really would like to know if you've come up with a solution to pinpoint the single faulty flash IC among the 8 flash ICs on the SIMM. The only solution I came up with was start desoldering flashes until the SIMM passes tests (which is obviously not a practical solution)...

I guess, sooner or later we'll need @'Darksoft to write a "special" test code to identify single flash failure and put it on the SuperBIOS menu :)

We aren't sure what order the flashes are written. When you have the game write normally it writes two separate 64mb files to each simm. When you manually write a simm you need to combine the files to be a 128mb file as it writes it all at once. When you write it manually using the SuperBIOS it tells you exactly what part of the file is being written. So when there is an error there it freezes on the location that it as writing. What could be done is to write a good flash, then desolder every chip and read them. Then compare the data to the original simm file to see what memory addresses are being written to which chips. We haven't done this yet. If someone would do that it would make things so much easier.

Currently when a simm is bad I just resolder the whole thing quickly. A lot of times that fixes it but it would be awesome to pinpoint the exact chip to focus on.

Got my 128mb now. Thanks again!

On a random side note...my house feels like a freaking mansion after living on a boat for the last five months. Fired up the CPS3 and rocked some Jojo for a good hour. Looking forward to finishing the setup so I can play Third Strike.

How long does it take to adjust to not needing sea legs when you get back? Or are the ships large enough that you don't really notice the rolling when you are out there?

Back