What's new
I wonder if it would be possible to put an SDcard on the cart on do the loading directly from there bypassing the CDROM?
No idea if this could work, but getting rid of the terrible CDROM altogether would be the holy grail IMHO.

Alternately it would be awesome to have some simple plug and play solution for replacing the CDROM.
I know there is some SCSI SDCard adapter but it seems to be a pita to handle. Configuration/images etc. It's the main reason I'm currently staying away from the CPS3 multi stuff.

He's not changing the original cart design now. He is doing a run of carts to go with his runs of SIMMs to get some of those empty pcbs that have been stripped down but still work back up and running. It's not a redesign, its a reproduction. Just as the SIMMS are 1:1 copies of the original, just new.

Any new functionality would be handled through the bios. I tested a version of the bios that Darksoft threw together quickly that was trying to decrease the load time of the games. This was about 6 or 7 months ago. That version decreased the loading time by 12%. Not good enough but we know it can be decreased by a lot more. I think 4 minutes is extremely ambitious but I think 10 minutes is acceptable using the original hardware.

As for the SCSI2SD, it is an awesome and very easy to use device. I would seriously recommend EVERYONE that owns a CPS3 to get one. It works great so no need to reinvent the wheel in this case IMHO.

He's not changing the original cart design now. He is doing a run of carts to go with his runs of SIMMs to get some of those empty pcbs that have been stripped down but still work back up and running. It's not a redesign, its a reproduction. Just as the SIMMS are 1:1 copies of the original, just new.

Any new functionality would be handled through the bios. I tested a version of the bios that Darksoft threw together quickly that was trying to decrease the load time of the games. This was about 6 or 7 months ago. That version decreased the loading time by 12%. Not good enough but we know it can be decreased by a lot more. I think 4 minutes is extremely ambitious but I think 10 minutes is acceptable using the original hardware.

As for the SCSI2SD, it is an awesome and very easy to use device. I would seriously recommend EVERYONE that owns a CPS3 to get one. It works great so no need to reinvent the wheel in this case IMHO.
Exactly all that Mitsu said.

As soon as I know I post it :)
With the reproductions, are there thoughts to include some way to reprogram the BIOS without needing to de-solder the chip, or perhaps have it as a socketed chip? Just wondering.
I started working some time ago on a new version of the BIOS that will solve that joystick clumpsy movement on the menu and that will also allow for autoboot from CD (just copy a file to an empty CD and it will update the BIOS) and will speed up' loading to 3-4 minutes. I see if I can finish it anytime soon.
Oh good lord. Reading that made something else rise up aside from Jesus today. (sorry, poor Easter joke). The ability to load up a BIOS via a CD/SD Card could perhaps allow us end-users to lock in a region? E.g. for those who just want US only region, we could default the BIOS to US only if we'd like?

As soon as I know I post it :)
With the reproductions, are there thoughts to include some way to reprogram the BIOS without needing to de-solder the chip, or perhaps have it as a socketed chip? Just wondering.
I started working some time ago on a new version of the BIOS that will solve that joystick clumpsy movement on the menu and that will also allow for autoboot from CD (just copy a file to an empty CD and it will update the BIOS) and will speed up' loading to 3-4 minutes. I see if I can finish it anytime soon.
Oh good lord. Reading that made something else rise up aside from Jesus today. (sorry, poor Easter joke). The ability to load up a BIOS via a CD/SD Card could perhaps allow us end-users to lock in a region? E.g. for those who just want US only region, we could default the BIOS to US only if we'd like?
Yeah that would be an option...

wanted to check in and see if there was any word on the 128mb simms. any new word?

Was wondering if there was any update on this...

I'm in for 4x 128 MB and 2x 64 MB.
What is the cost shipped to Canada and where can I send you the money?

Thanks for making these!

I'm also very much interested in this project. I'm gonna be needing 2x 128 MB and 1x 64 MB.

EDIT: Make that 3x 128 MB and 1x 64 MB.

Last edited:
Add me to the interest list. Thanks!

EDIT: Interested in 1x 64mb & 2x 128mb Simm. Converting NGE board to 3s. Possibly a cart once you have announced the details.

Last edited:
I've got the first 5 samples of CPS3 cartridges....stay tuned.

a cart and full load for 3rd strike is what i need funny how i have a cps3 mobo but no populated hardware for it

I'm also very much interested in this project. I'm gonna be needing 2x 128 MB and 1x 64 MB.

EDIT: Make that 3x 128 MB and 1x 64 MB.
EDIT2: Make that 3x 128 MB and 1x 64 MB and 1 cartridge.

Back