What's new
Not to be "that guy" but is there a setup and requirements cheat sheet for 2x6 out there that I'm missing? Tired of burning discs, but want to be sure I get the right bits and pieces (understand this is still a work in progress).

Not to be "that guy" but is there a setup and requirements cheat sheet for 2x6 out there that I'm missing?
it's pretty simple
1. Mobo
2. Multi-Dongle

^that above setup will allow you to play most of the games with burned discs on your JVS cabs like a Vewlix or Net City

If you want to run on JAMMA cabs I recommend you the official 2x6 JAMMA adapter (though a Capcom or Sega JAMMA IO will work also).
3. JAMMA adapter

This ODE isn't really necessary, literally it just lets you swap SD cards instead of Discs, and to be perfectly honest despite owning 2 of these ODEs I still just swap discs because it's easier.

However this project: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/namco-2x6-pi-multi-selector.17220/
adds a raspberry pi plus a custom PCB to allow selecting imagines on the ODE and re-flashing the dongle without using your PC and make the whole system into a true multi. But it's still somewhat of a work-in-progress.

TLDR: buy a dongle to go with your mobo and play that. Subscribe the Multi selector thread and buy the rest once it's more mature.

I should also note that the mobo selection makes a difference too
Most people will want to buy a System 256 as that will play the largest percentage of the games.
However there are a number of games that will only play on a System 246 (such as Bloody Roar 3, and Tekken 4), and if you want to play the driving games those will require a specific version of the System 246. Gun games also require a special IO board. Also Time Crisis 4 uses a special version of the 256.

The TLDR here is: If you want just play the entire library of joystick/button games and don't care about the driving/gun/touch-screen games you will want to buy a 256 in addition to a System 246B or 246C.

it's pretty simple
1. Mobo
2. Multi-Dongle

^that above setup will allow you to play most of the games with burned discs on your JVS cabs like a Vewlix or Net City

If you want to run on JAMMA cabs I recommend you the official 2x6 JAMMA adapter (though a Capcom or Sega JAMMA IO will work also).
3. JAMMA adapter

This ODE isn't really necessary, literally it just lets you swap SD cards instead of Discs, and to be perfectly honest despite owning 2 of these ODEs I still just swap discs because it's easier.

However this project: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/namco-2x6-pi-multi-selector.17220/
adds a raspberry pi plus a custom PCB to allow selecting imagines on the ODE and re-flashing the dongle without using your PC and make the whole system into a true multi. But it's still somewhat of a work-in-progress.

TLDR: buy a dongle to go with your mobo and play that. Subscribe the Multi selector thread and buy the rest once it's more mature.
Got the dongle etc already, was looking into the ODE because I've had issues getting the discs burned properly. It's been a bit of a pain. But thanks for the info and links.

except for this one game (bloody roar 3) - the ODE works perfectly - and I am sure electric_monk will fix it very soon.

except for this one game (bloody roar 3) - the ODE works perfectly - and I am sure electric_monk will fix it very soon.
Yeah, going ahead and picking one up along with the pi-multi selector kit. Already sunk enough into my 2x6 setup that it seems worth it to get more use out of it.

Regarding Bloody Roar, I found an old firmware called "bloodyroar3fix.fw" from February 2019. It definitely contains other bugs and won't work on the "Rev B" boards, and sadly, I hadn't noted what the 'fix' was, but in a PM chat with @twistedsymphony from that day I mentioned it was something wrong with the BIN/CUE parser. I coincidentally recently rewrote that recently to be 'better' for multibin support so that's a likely culprit. Hopefully have a fix shortly.

Even more confusingly, I just tried it and it's currently working on my 246. Could you try the build on this issue? https://issues.tattiebogle.net/view.php?id=11 The issue itself is just fixing some NXP USB stack bug, but it also contains a million other tweaks I made to the CUE parser (as well as the IDE interface itself, mainly to improve 386/DOS support).

I can try it - what's the quick way to upgrade the firmware?

matt

Instructions here - basically, copy the firmware onto an SD card/USB stick, then plug the ODE into a computer where it should appear as a virtual serial port. Open the serial port to get a command line, then use the 'flash upgrade <file>' command to load the new firmware.

There's two banks, so if you don't like a new firmware you can switch back to the previous one using the 'flash boot <bank>' command.

hmmm - having issues with it seeing my sd card - I remember it being "touchy" before... any hints?

FPGA status: online
USB0: device mode; high speed; driver: CDC serial
USB1: device mode; full speed; driver: none
SD card: Error (1)
Uptime: 23 seconds
Simulated drive: closed
Audio: Idle
- track 1 / disk time 0:00:00

aha! I had to put the SD card *right* in the middle - not to either side.

SD:/> flash status
Active bank: B
Boot bank: B
Bank A status:
- valid: YES
- bootable: NO
- Name: IDE CD-ROM Simulator
- Version: 0.88, build date: 30/03/2019
- Copyright (C) 2019 Colin Munro
Bank B status:
- bootable: YES
- Version: 0.314R, build date: 27/06/2021
- Copyright (C) 2021 Colin Munro

Let me go test it out!

Interesting, yours and mine both get as far as "READ (10): address=00 00 00 10 size=00 01" (address 0x10 is the location where the ISO9660 data starts), after which mine reads some different locations then starts loading huge piles of data, whereas your log shows it just spinning on 0 (possibly, the game thinks it is loading, but it got bad data from 00 00 00 10 and is just loading what it thinks it was told). I've tried a few PCBs now (some rev A and some rev B too) and it continues to boot.

Just to eliminate the possibility of the disk image, where did you get your BIN/CUE from? Mine were generated from the rollup thread per the instructions, BIN file sha1sum is cbfec6e94b5498a18c938d98afd1de788e75cb55, CUE looks like:
Code:
FILE "bldyr3b.bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

Last edited:
still troubleshooting - I think you managed to get my debug.txt before I deleted it - it had the wrong disk loaded. I am having issues monitoring and having my 246 work.... it just seems to hang most of the time.

So - I am on a 246 that is stock - with just the ODE and usb_dongle - making sure SC2 works, then I will swap to BR3 and see what the monitor shows me.

Matt

Interesting, yours and mine both get as far as "READ (10): address=00 00 00 10 size=00 01" (address 0x10 is the location where the ISO9660 data starts), after which mine reads some different locations then starts loading huge piles of data, whereas your log shows it just spinning on 0 (possibly, the game thinks it is loading, but it got bad data from 00 00 00 10 and is just loading what it thinks it was told). I've tried a few PCBs now (some rev A and some rev B too) and it continues to boot.

Just to eliminate the possibility of the disk image, where did you get your BIN/CUE from? Mine were generated from the rollup thread per the instructions, BIN file sha1sum is cbfec6e94b5498a18c938d98afd1de788e75cb55, CUE looks like:
Code:
FILE "bldyr3b.bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352

cbfec6e94b5498a18c938d98afd1de788e75cb55 - mine
cbfec6e94b5498a18c938d98afd1de788e75cb55 - yours

cue file:

FILE "BLOODY_ROAR_3.BIN" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE2/2352

For me - exact same behaviour on both firmwares.... my serial session locks up (I think the whole ODE locks up - I can't get a session on it at all after the "setup cd" screen appears).

old firmware:

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2021.08.03 23:34:40 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

unavailable> flahs statuash status
Unknown command: flahs
unavailable> flash status
Active bank: A
Boot bank: A
Bank A status:
Bank B status:
unavailable> status
USB0: host mode; high speed; driver: mass storage
USB1: device mode; full speed; driver: CDC serial
Uptime: 17 seconds
Simulated drive: closed inserted_disk
ISO file: USB0:/bldyr3b.cUE
- 1 files
- 1 tracks
- total sectors: -1729123225
unavailable> monitor
Monitoring IDE commands (press any key to end)
NOP
Finish: ATA 00
DEVICE RESET
IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE
Finish: ATA
SET FEATURES: 03 Set transfer mode: DMA multiword mode 2
SET FEATURES: 66 Disable reverting to power on defaults

new firmware

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2021.08.03 23:32:13 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

unavailable> flash status
Active bank: B
Boot bank: B
Bank A status:
Bank B status:
unavailable> f[1D [1Dstatus
USB0: host mode; high speed; driver: mass storage
USB1: device mode; full speed; driver: CDC serial
Uptime: 14 seconds
Simulated drive: closed inserted_disk
ISO file: USB0:/bldyr3b.cUE
- 1 files
- 1 tracks
- total sectors: 754175805
unavailable> monitr[1D [1Dor
Monitoring IDE commands (press any key to end)
NOP
Finish: ATA 00
DEVICE RESET
Reset: software
IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE
SET FEATURES: 03 Set transfer mode: DMA multiword mode 2
SET FEATURES: 66 Disable reverting to power on defaults

Which USB stick are you using? There's a few different standards for USB mass storage and it could be a bug that a device I don't have access to is causing (which would take out the USB serial interface too). Other than that, does the same freeze happen if you try it via SD?

I am using a small 8gb stick - the same stick works with all the other images though. I can try the SD card tonight and see if its the same behavior.

Matt

Back